RemedySpot.com

Re: Q: Bells Palsy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Interesting case . We talked much about Bell's Palsy in our Chinese Internal Medical lectures because according to the chinese docs, Bell's Palsy is very common in China and other parts of Asia.According to CCM theory, this kind of paralysis of the facial muscles, (sometimes " wry face " ), is caused by an attack of pathogenic wind and cold on the Yangming and Shaoyang meridians. This leads generally to malnutrition of the muscle and the meridians. In our classes at NCNM, we emphasized the attack on the YangMing channels, which includes the STOMACH and the LARGE INTESTINE meridians that run along the sides of the face (you can see this in the image I included below, the red channels are Yangming). Yangming channels are always treated when there is a deficiency of blood. It is very interesting that your patient doesn't have a stomach - how this is contributing to his symptoms is unsure but it may be involved in general channel weakness.

The efficacy of acupuncture has been well documented for Bell's palsy patients. I treated a 25 yo Mexican American woman for 6 months at Outside In and in that time was able to see significant improvement. We were also treating with a combination of Chinese herbs.

Given the proposed etiology, it may be beneficial to run basic bloodwork to check for anemia, to nourish the blood using western herbs, perhaps alternating hot and cold treatments to neck and head to promote blood circulation. If you have an acupuncturist to refer to, this should really help as well. Good luck and keep on with your good work!

Jennings ND MSOM

Any suggestions?

81 yr old man

Sweet, happy, inlove with his wife, alert, friendly guy

Only complaint about serving in WWII was that the ines was a

dirty place and europe was clean (?!).

Plays trumpet in three jazz bands

Very much alive

April '08 noticed he was having trouple hitting the high notes

Facial paralysis continued until entire right side of face paralyzed -

eye lid dropping, and drooling a problem.

No pain in face

No trouble swallowing

sensation of face present

tongue deviates to R

Easy going

Family man, no fears to speak of

loves his pie

Does not lke to drink anything except his ensure (I know, I know)

HX: He has no stomach - few years ago bleeding ulcer such that

total removal of stomach warranted

No gallbladder - didn't have much info about this - a little bit

difficult to get info from him (nothing seems to bother him much)

Heart attack such that part of heart tissue is dead - no pacer, no

meds except mod dose of beta-blocker

Cataracts - removed a few years ago

BPH - had a " rotor rooter " no sys since

sleeps well - only pees 1x at night if that

BP controlled

lots of moles and scarring from various surgeries

Tested neg for Lyme (Bells a big sys)didn't respond to tx per another

doc

Too sunny for the single remedies taht come up for Bells (causticum,

Silica, Bell, Plb) Phos looks like a maybe except he isn't fearful

and isn't thirsty

Oh - $$$ is an issue (fixed income, very small savings)

Thanks for your time

Willette RN ND

Maine

-- naturopathic & classical chinese medicineUrban Wellness Groupwww.urbanwellnesspdx.com

Stephania Root (see Buhner's book called Healing Lyme, pp15-152 for a good description of why this herb helps Bell's palsy. Many Lyme patients test negative, even with Igenex lab and similar labs, because not making antibodies to detect. Lyme is a stealth organism. I have had much success with Stephania root, which I get from BioPure USA.If not Lyme, it is often a Herpes simplex infection, so use herbs that address thisPhosphorus homeopathic is a good idea, even though not fearful or thirsty. It is a right sided Bell's remedy, and phosphorus is an alive and sparkly people remedyUnda 9 and 41 might be helpful. 41 helps a lot of elderly people who develop any type of paralysis issues Zieve, M.D.Any suggestions?81 yr old manSweet, happy, inlove with his wife, alert, friendly guyOnly complaint about serving in WWII was that the ines was a dirty place and europe was clean (?!).Plays trumpet in three jazz bandsVery much aliveApril '08 noticed he was having trouple hitting the high notesFacial paralysis continued until entire right side of face paralyzed -eye lid dropping, and drooling a problem.No pain in faceNo trouble swallowingsensation of face presenttongue deviates to REasy goingFamily man, no fears to speak ofloves his pie Does not lke to drink anything except his ensure (I know, I know)HX: He has no stomach - few years ago bleeding ulcer such that total removal of stomach warrantedNo gallbladder - didn't have much info about this - a little bit difficult to get info from him (nothing seems to bother him much)Heart attack such that part of heart tissue is dead - no pacer, no meds except mod dose of beta-blockerCataracts - removed a few years agoBPH - had a "rotor rooter" no sys sincesleeps well - only pees 1x at night if thatBP controlledlots of moles and scarring from various surgeriesTested neg for Lyme (Bells a big sys)didn't respond to tx per another docToo sunny for the single remedies taht come up for Bells (causticum, Silica, Bell, Plb) Phos looks like a maybe except he isn't fearful and isn't thirsty Oh - $$$ is an issue (fixed income, very small savings)Thanks for your time Willette RN NDMaine