Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sam

Steroids can cause many side effects, hormonal issues, etc so my guess

would be the prednisone. Flovent is also a steroid, not as strong as

prednisone, but it is a maintenance medicine and not meant to be gone

off and on like that. You don't stop taking it when you feel better

because asthmatics can still be inflamed even with no symptoms. The

Xopenex on the other hand should be taken as directed as needed.

If she recently stopped the prednisone I would give it some time to

get out her system, several weeks. If you find the hair loss still

occurring that severely I would try switching from the Flovent to a

different maintenance steroid and see if it helps.

Hope she feels better soon.

>

> HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a

few questions to see if

> anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in

August with asthma and

> started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the

doc switched her to xopenex.

> At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really

struggling so they put her on

> prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile

but then a few weeks

> later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she

has had to use her inhaler alot.

> Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get

through the winter months but I

> only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing

that really concerns me is that

> since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major

testing done to make

> sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back

ok. We went to a

> dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end.

They concluded that it

> was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if

anyone has had any hair loss

> associate with the meds they are taking.

>

> Thank you so much for your time.

>

> Sam

>

Sam I never got your original post, as for the hair loss, the stress the body is under and then add insult to injury the medications prescribed to control the asthma can cause soo many side effects. When my body is going through a rough time with illness (asthma etc) My hair falls out by the handful and then it stops. So it could be possible that the dr might be right on this one. Give your little one a hug for me. It's one thing for us adults to have to deal with this asthma mess but it really pulls at my heart string when it's a child!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of lilli_nycSent: Friday, December 05, 2008 11:40 AMTo: asthma Subject: Re: 3 year old diagnosed with asthma and losing hair

Hi SamSteroids can cause many side effects, hormonal issues, etc so my guesswould be the prednisone. Flovent is also a steroid, not as strong asprednisone, but it is a maintenance medicine and not meant to be goneoff and on like that. You don't stop taking it when you feel betterbecause asthmatics can still be inflamed even with no symptoms. TheXopenex on the other hand should be taken as directed as needed.If she recently stopped the prednisone I would give it some time toget out her system, several weeks. If you find the hair loss stilloccurring that severely I would try switching from the Flovent to adifferent maintenance steroid and see if it helps.Hope she feels better soon. >> HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask afew questions to see if > anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed inAugust with asthma and > started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, thedoc switched her to xopenex. > At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was reallystruggling so they put her on > prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhilebut then a few weeks > later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school shehas had to use her inhaler alot. > Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help getthrough the winter months but I > only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thingthat really concerns me is that > since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all majortesting done to make > sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came backok. We went to a > dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. They concluded that it > was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know ifanyone has had any hair loss > associate with the meds they are taking.> > Thank you so much for your time.> > Sam>

GEESH IT"S JUST NOW COMING THROUGH!!!! YAHOO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER YOUR ANNOYING ME!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of samhunniusSent: Friday, December 05, 2008 8:18 AMTo: asthma Subject: 3 year old diagnosed with asthma and losing hair

HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a few questions to see if anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in August with asthma and started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the doc switched her to xopenex. At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really struggling so they put her on prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile but then a few weeks later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she has had to use her inhaler alot. Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get through the winter months but I only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing that really concerns me is that since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major testing done to make sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back ok. We went to a dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. They concluded that it was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if anyone has had any hair loss associate with the meds they are taking.Thank you so much for your time.Sam

Welcome Sam...This is a good group for information....so many differents problems....You will find this is a loving group that is concerned about your issues and your emotional needs as well. Our emotions control much of our health issues, so when we vent it helps our health also........Lou> >> > HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a> few questions to see if > > anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in> August with asthma and > > started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the> doc switched her to xopenex. > > At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really> struggling so they put her on > > prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile> but then a few weeks > > later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she> has had to use her inhaler alot. > > Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get> through the winter months but I > > only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing> that really concerns me is that > > since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major> testing done to make > > sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back> ok. We went to a > > dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. > They concluded that it > > was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if> anyone has had any hair loss > > associate with the meds they are taking.> > > > Thank you so much for your time.> > > > Sam> >>

Welcome Sam...This is a good group for information....so many differents problems....You will find this is a loving group that is concerned about your issues and your emotional needs as well. Our emotions control much of our health issues, so when we vent it helps our health also........Lou> >> > HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a> few questions to see if > > anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in> August with asthma and > > started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the> doc switched her to xopenex. > > At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really> struggling so they put her on > > prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile> but then a few weeks > > later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she> has had to use her inhaler alot. > > Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get> through the winter months but I > > only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing> that really concerns me is that > > since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major> testing done to make > > sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back> ok. We went to a > > dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. > They concluded that it > > was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if> anyone has had any hair loss > > associate with the meds they are taking.> > > > Thank you so much for your time.> > > > Sam> >>

First welcome to the group. You will find so much good information on

this group. There are asthmatics of all degrees. Some recent and

some since childhood. Many of us have really been through the wringer

so to speak.

I noticed you said that you mentioned you are only using the Flovent

when your daughter is having symptoms. It is important to use Flovent

every day as prescribed. Flovent is a preventative medicine. If used

every day it should prevent most attacks and symptoms from ever

occuring. Then when the rare attack is triggered the Xoponex (which

is a form of Albuterol) is a fast acting bronchodialator which works

by quickly reducing inflammation and opening up the lungs. If it

gives her the " shakes " and uncontrollable energy give her some hot

cocoa or coffee (if she likes it). I know it sounds strange, but the

caffeine is a natural bronchodialator and will actually help calm the

shakes. I am not sure how it works. At one point I did ask my doc

and he gave me this complicated explanation that I promptly forgot,

but I do know that it does work. Also, I don't know if your doctor

gave her a spacer to use with her inhalers, but if not talk to you

pharmacist and buy one. They are not expensive ($10-$20) and will

greatly improve the delivery of the medicines - especially in children.

I have been on many asthma medicines, and almost all are some form of

steroid or corticosteroid. Those actually promote hair growth. So,

no I have not had any hair loss associated with asthma medications.

In fact, I have too much hair growth (especially facial and upper body

hair).

Hopefully I have been able to help a bit. Hugs for you and your

daughter! I know how frustrating this can be!

Madeline

>

> HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a

few questions to see if

August with asthma and

> prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile

but then a few weeks

> since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major

testing done to make

ok. We went to a

They concluded that it

>

>

> Sam

>

I have been on all of those meds and never had any hair loss problems.

Subject: 3 year old diagnosed with asthma and losing hairTo: asthma Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 7:18 AM

HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a few questions to see if anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in August with asthma and started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the doc switched her to xopenex. At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really struggling so they put her on prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile but then a few weeks later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she has had to use her inhaler alot. Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get through the winter months but I only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing that really concerns me is that since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major testing done to make sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back ok. We went to a

dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. They concluded that it was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if anyone has had any hair loss associate with the meds they are taking.Thank you so much for your time.Sam

I believe it has alot to do with the body's stress and remember we all react (our bodies) differently than someone else to meds :)

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of AutumnSent: Friday, December 05, 2008 5:46 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: 3 year old diagnosed with asthma and losing hair

I have been on all of those meds and never had any hair loss problems.

From: samhunnius <samhunnius>Subject: 3 year old diagnosed with asthma and losing hairTo: asthma Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 7:18 AM

HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask a few questions to see if anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed in August with asthma and started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the doc switched her to xopenex. At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really struggling so they put her on prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for awhile but then a few weeks later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she has had to use her inhaler alot. Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get through the winter months but I only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing that really concerns me is that since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all major testing done to make sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came back ok. We went to a dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that end. They concluded that it was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if anyone has had any hair loss associate with the meds they are taking.Thank you so much for your time.Sam

I have a 15-year-old niece who lost a lot of her hair a couple of

years ago, and the doctor said it was entirely from school-related

stress. Since then she has got past the stress and regrown her hair

and there is nothing physical wrong with her at all. Apparently the

doctor was right and you can lose your hair purely from stress.

>

> HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to ask

a few questions to see if

August with asthma and

> prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for

awhile but then a few weeks

> since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all

major testing done to make

ok. We went to a

They concluded that it

>

>

> Sam

>

My son and I have both lost hair from taking steroids (prednisone).

It usually happens on the taper down. The sicker you are though, the

worse it seems to be. I do think stress plays a role as well.

Sorry this is happening! :-(

Kathleen

> >

> > HI everyone! I'm new to this message board and just wanted to

ask

> a few questions to see if

> > anyone has had similar side effects. My daughter was diagnosed

in

> August with asthma and

> > started using albuterol. After having very bad side effects, the

> doc switched her to xopenex.

> > At the time she was diagnosed she also had RSV and was really

> struggling so they put her on

> > prenisone. Once the RSV was gone she quit doing all meds for

> awhile but then a few weeks

> > later she got sick again. I notice now that she is in school she

> has had to use her inhaler alot.

> > Her doc put her on another inhaler called flovent to help get

> through the winter months but I

> > only give it to her when I notice she starts to cough. The thing

> that really concerns me is that

> > since September she has lost over 1/2 of her hair. We had all

> major testing done to make

> > sure there was nothing more serious wrong and everything came

back

> ok. We went to a

> > dermatologist and they found nothing wrong with her from that

end.

> They concluded that it

> > was stress related and I don't believe them! I wanted to know if

> anyone has had any hair loss

> > associate with the meds they are taking.

> >

> > Thank you so much for your time.

> >

> > Sam

> >

>