RemedySpot.com

Help with Son's Symptoms!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background

on my little boy.

My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it

several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly

because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child.

He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several

years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it

was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006

he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The

following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication

changes and more admissions. This past January he started off

showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a

high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray

because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was

placed on steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of

steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours

after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he

couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being

admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons

of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much

muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore.

After a two week stay he was able to go home.

He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was

180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we

have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in

the green so I don't worry to much.

He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15;

and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday.

Over the weekend, my son started developing lots of congestion. He

had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily

medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem

like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going

around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's

at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the

doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung

even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol

4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this

works but is there something else for me to do?

Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal

taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back

clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They

said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was

also told that his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later

on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.

I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him.

Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I

just need advice and help.

Is there something else I should be doing?

- Debra

On Debra, I jumped on this post as a protective Mom, I was on the edge of my seat, Winter is my worst time of year, keep his mouth and nose totally covered so that NO cold air can get into his lungs, The dr sounds like she's heading you guys in the right direction, You poor thing I can hear the fear in your email. It's one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child! Try to keep him away from those with colds. That's my biggest thing, the cold air and congestion. Does moist air upset his asthma any? IF NOT try to put him in a bathroom with steam and see if that won't clear his lungs. Where do you live. I wish it was here in Md so I could help you better!

I'm here if you need anything, My email is on this so feel free to email me at any time and give your little boy a BIG hug from please!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Debra DomingoSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 6:44 PMTo: asthma Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background on my little boy. My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child. He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006 he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication changes and more admissions. This past January he started off showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was placed on steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore. After a two week stay he was able to go home. He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was 180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in the green so I don't worry to much. He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15; and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday. Over the weekend, my son started developing lots of congestion. He had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol 4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this works but is there something else for me to do?Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was also told that his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him. Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I just need advice and help.Is there something else I should be doing? - Debra

Debra

My son has the same routine it seems as your son just not so severe. We hate the winter months in our house too. I don't think we have ever had a winter break that he hasn't had bronchitis or some kind of cold.

One thing we do use that seems to help with his coughing is honey. Right before bed we give him about 4 tbs of honey in warm water to drink and it seems pull the mucus down and give him some relief even when the higher dose of advair and abuertol don't.

Just hang in there and keep doing what you are doing.

Marie

Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!To: asthma Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background on my little boy. My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child. He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006 he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication changes and more admissions. This past January he started off showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was placed on

steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore. After a two week stay he was able to go home. He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was 180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in the green so I don't worry to much. He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15; and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday. Over the weekend, my son started

developing lots of congestion. He had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol 4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this works but is there something else for me to do?Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was also told that

his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him. Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I just need advice and help.Is there something else I should be doing? - Debra

Debra,

I like everything that Terry wrote. The only thing I disagree with is

that the part about one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as

a child. I had asthma since I was 4 years old...have horrible

attacks...ones that put me down for days in a rocking chair to couch so

I could sleep upright at night. The one thing that my parents did not

do was freak out and freak me out. I did not know any different. I just

knew that I could not breath, and got sick to my stomach, and had to be

carried to the bathroom. Otherwise, I was fine with my radio, tv, and

coloring books. I think now I have too much information, and freak out

more as an adult...if that makes sense. You seem to be on the right

track with listening to your doctor, and making sure your son is taking

all of his medicine as prescribed. My other piece of advice is not to

let up on any of the meds when he is doing better like in the summer. I

have found my meds to be a year long thing, year after year to be the

most effective in the times that I need it the most.

Hang in there!

Cindi

Terry wrote:

On Debra, I jumped on this

post as a protective Mom, I was on the edge of my seat, Winter is my

worst time of year, keep his mouth and nose totally covered so that NO

cold air can get into his lungs, The dr sounds like she's heading you

guys in the right direction, You poor thing I can hear the fear in your

email. It's one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child!

Try to keep him away from those with colds. That's my biggest thing,

the cold air and congestion. Does moist air upset his asthma any? IF

NOT try to put him in a bathroom with steam and see if that won't clear

his lungs. Where do you live. I wish it was here in Md so I could help

you better!

I'm here if you need anything,

My email is on this so feel free to email me at any time and give your

little boy a BIG hug from please!

Terry

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that

He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother

Teddy Bear's Early Learning Program

Established August of 1992

asthma [mailto:asthma ] On

Behalf Of Debra Domingo

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 6:44 PM

To: asthma

Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background

on my little boy.

- Debra

I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I just mean it bother's me to know a child goes through this, but as Cindi said the children don't know anybetter, just as my Tyler with his 22 surgeries and in and out of Children's National Hospital all his life, He know no difference and deems it normal for him even now at the age of 18.

I guess I was trying to get my compassion for her son to come across and it didn't work, One of the quirks of email

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:48 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra,I like everything that Terry wrote. The only thing I disagree with is that the part about one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child. I had asthma since I was 4 years old...have horrible attacks...ones that put me down for days in a rocking chair to couch so I could sleep upright at night. The one thing that my parents did not do was freak out and freak me out. I did not know any different. I just knew that I could not breath, and got sick to my stomach, and had to be carried to the bathroom. Otherwise, I was fine with my radio, tv, and coloring books. I think now I have too much information, and freak out more as an adult...if that makes sense. You seem to be on the right track with listening to your doctor, and making sure your son is taking all of his medicine as prescribed. My other piece of advice is not to let up on any of the meds when he is doing better like in the summer. I have found my meds to be a year long thing, year after year to be the most effective in the times that I need it the most. Hang in there!CindiTerry wrote:

On Debra, I jumped on this post as a protective Mom, I was on the edge of my seat, Winter is my worst time of year, keep his mouth and nose totally covered so that NO cold air can get into his lungs, The dr sounds like she's heading you guys in the right direction, You poor thing I can hear the fear in your email. It's one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child! Try to keep him away from those with colds. That's my biggest thing, the cold air and congestion. Does moist air upset his asthma any? IF NOT try to put him in a bathroom with steam and see if that won't clear his lungs. Where do you live. I wish it was here in Md so I could help you better!

I'm here if you need anything, My email is on this so feel free to email me at any time and give your little boy a BIG hug from please!

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Debra DomingoSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 6:44 PMTo: asthma Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background on my little boy. My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child. He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006 he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication changes and more admissions. This past January he started off showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was placed on steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore. After a two week stay he was able to go home. He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was 180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in the green so I don't worry to much. He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15; and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday. Over the weekend, my son started developing lots of congestion. He had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol 4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this works but is there something else for me to do?Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was also told that his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him. Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I just need advice and help.Is there something else I should be doing? - Debra

That's something I've heard that works, Ok since we're on the topic of those not just children but also adults with the dry air in the house does that bother you? Do you use a humidifier at all? I'm trying to find a way to make this winter a bit easier on my lungs and my nerves, Our house is 9 years old and is very air tight. What seems to help you guys and gals in the winter outside of the precautions when going outside, by covering the mouth and nose. I take Sudafed at the first sign of sinus drainage.

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Marie KrissmanSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:28 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra

My son has the same routine it seems as your son just not so severe. We hate the winter months in our house too. I don't think we have ever had a winter break that he hasn't had bronchitis or some kind of cold.

One thing we do use that seems to help with his coughing is honey. Right before bed we give him about 4 tbs of honey in warm water to drink and it seems pull the mucus down and give him some relief even when the higher dose of advair and abuertol don't.

Marie

From: Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!To: asthma Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

Terry......I know that you have only had been diagnosed with asthma not

since your childhood...unlike me. I was relating to the little guy..how

his mind might be thinking. I never meant to put your thoughts down!!!

You did a wonderful job of replying!!! Please don't worry about what I

said as opposed to what you said....I thought we made one nice team

together!!!! I am sorry if you took it to be putting what you said

down...never never meant that!

love ya sister!!

Cindi

Terry wrote:

I didn't mean to make it

sound that way. I just mean it bother's me to know a child goes through

this, but as Cindi said the children don't know anybetter, just as my

Tyler with his 22 surgeries and in and out of Children's National

Hospital all his life, He know no difference and deems it normal for

him even now at the age of 18.

I guess I was trying to get my

compassion for her son to come across and it didn't work, One of the

quirks of email

Terry

Behalf Of Rodney & Cindi

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:48 PM

Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra,

I like everything that Terry wrote. The only thing I disagree with is

that the part about one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as

a child. I had asthma since I was 4 years old...have horrible

attacks...ones that put me down for days in a rocking chair to couch so

I could sleep upright at night. The one thing that my parents did not

do was freak out and freak me out. I did not know any different. I just

knew that I could not breath, and got sick to my stomach, and had to be

carried to the bathroom. Otherwise, I was fine with my radio, tv, and

coloring books. I think now I have too much information, and freak out

more as an adult...if that makes sense. You seem to be on the right

track with listening to your doctor, and making sure your son is taking

all of his medicine as prescribed. My other piece of advice is not to

let up on any of the meds when he is doing better like in the summer. I

have found my meds to be a year long thing, year after year to be the

most effective in the times that I need it the most.

Hang in there!

Cindi

Terry wrote:

On Debra, I jumped on this

post as a protective Mom, I was on the edge of my seat, Winter is my

worst time of year, keep his mouth and nose totally covered so that NO

cold air can get into his lungs, The dr sounds like she's heading you

guys in the right direction, You poor thing I can hear the fear in your

email. It's one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child!

Try to keep him away from those with colds. That's my biggest thing,

the cold air and congestion. Does moist air upset his asthma any? IF

NOT try to put him in a bathroom with steam and see if that won't clear

his lungs. Where do you live. I wish it was here in Md so I could help

you better!

I'm here if you need anything,

My email is on this so feel free to email me at any time and give your

little boy a BIG hug from please!

Terry

asthma [mailto:asthma ]

On Behalf Of Debra Domingo

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 6:44 PM

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is

background

on my little boy.

- Debra

Oh no I"m not upset at all! I was only diagnosed Christmas eve will be 2 years ago and it's been rough, but to hear a child going through it just pulls at my heart strings, I like how you related to him. Yes we do work well as a team! That's what Friends do!

Love you too

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:36 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Terry......I know that you have only had been diagnosed with asthma not since your childhood...unlike me. I was relating to the little guy..how his mind might be thinking. I never meant to put your thoughts down!!! You did a wonderful job of replying!!! Please don't worry about what I said as opposed to what you said....I thought we made one nice team together!!!! I am sorry if you took it to be putting what you said down...never never meant that!love ya sister!!CindiTerry wrote:

I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I just mean it bother's me to know a child goes through this, but as Cindi said the children don't know anybetter, just as my Tyler with his 22 surgeries and in and out of Children's National Hospital all his life, He know no difference and deems it normal for him even now at the age of 18.

I guess I was trying to get my compassion for her son to come across and it didn't work, One of the quirks of email

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:48 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra,I like everything that Terry wrote. The only thing I disagree with is that the part about one thing to deal with all that as an adult but as a child. I had asthma since I was 4 years old...have horrible attacks...ones that put me down for days in a rocking chair to couch so I could sleep upright at night. The one thing that my parents did not do was freak out and freak me out. I did not know any different. I just knew that I could not breath, and got sick to my stomach, and had to be carried to the bathroom. Otherwise, I was fine with my radio, tv, and coloring books. I think now I have too much information, and freak out more as an adult...if that makes sense. You seem to be on the right track with listening to your doctor, and making sure your son is taking all of his medicine as prescribed. My other piece of advice is not to let up on any of the meds when he is doing better like in the summer. I have found my meds to be a year long thing, year after year to be the most effective in the times that I need it the most. Hang in there!CindiTerry wrote:

actually honey makes me worse...it makes my throat burn, and all the

way down burns. I may be allergic to honey.

In the winter I love any humidity that occurs naturally in the house

but that is because we live in Arizona. Mold can be a real problem.

In fact! Someone emailed me personally from this list...they had me

mixed up with ones who cannot do hot showers. I love hot showers, and

she thought I was the one that had a hard time with them...but she

brought up a real good point...is it the mold in the shower curtains or

walls that might be setting your asthma off rather than the hot

showers? Again, in Arizona we have little mold...our mold is in the

summer with our swamp coolers.

Personally, if I had all the money in the world, no matter where I

lived, I would have central air and heat, and change the filters once a

month. But, most of us do not have all the money in the world. I would

have air tight windows, doors, well insulated, and run that central

thing all year long. ha ha ha. I would have no carpets, concrete tile

floors, no curtains that would hold dust...just blinds that would be

changed once every six months. A big exhaust fan for my stove, and the

cats would be taken to the grooming people when they start

shedding....they would go at least once a week. I would buy new pillows

once a month because of the dust and other mites, and actually would

prefer my bedding to be washed twice a week. My vehicle would get

detailed weekly....vacuumed and washed. I would stay indoors and never

go anywhere. I would have a house cleaner that made sure that

everything was dusted daily. Floors mopped..not vacuumed...mopped

daily. Windows would be cleaned every two weeks. But, I don't have all

that money, so I just do the best I can. Actually, I probably still

would have asthma attacks...possibly most likely even worse with all

the cleaning and such LOL!!!! Those were just dreams and thoughts.

love you all!

Cindi

Terry wrote:

That's something I've

heard that works, Ok since we're on the topic of those not just

children but also adults with the dry air in the house does that bother

you? Do you use a humidifier at all? I'm trying to find a way to make

this winter a bit easier on my lungs and my nerves, Our house is 9

years old and is very air tight. What seems to help you guys and gals

in the winter outside of the precautions when going outside, by

covering the mouth and nose. I take Sudafed at the first sign of sinus

drainage.

Terry

Behalf Of Marie Krissman

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:28 PM

Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra

My son has the same routine it seems as your son just not

so severe. We hate the winter months in our house too. I don't think

we have ever had a winter break that he hasn't had bronchitis or some

kind of cold.

One thing we do use that seems to help with his coughing

is honey. Right before bed we give him about 4 tbs of honey in warm

water to drink and it seems pull the mucus down and give him some

relief even when the higher dose of advair and abuertol don't.

Marie

Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>

Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is

background

on my little boy.

- Debra

One of our projects for this upcoming year is to pull up the carpet and put Pergo down, and the paid Maid will return to clean the house to give me a break.

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:50 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

actually honey makes me worse...it makes my throat burn, and all the way down burns. I may be allergic to honey. In the winter I love any humidity that occurs naturally in the house but that is because we live in Arizona. Mold can be a real problem.In fact! Someone emailed me personally from this list...they had me mixed up with ones who cannot do hot showers. I love hot showers, and she thought I was the one that had a hard time with them...but she brought up a real good point...is it the mold in the shower curtains or walls that might be setting your asthma off rather than the hot showers? Again, in Arizona we have little mold...our mold is in the summer with our swamp coolers. Personally, if I had all the money in the world, no matter where I lived, I would have central air and heat, and change the filters once a month. But, most of us do not have all the money in the world. I would have air tight windows, doors, well insulated, and run that central thing all year long. ha ha ha. I would have no carpets, concrete tile floors, no curtains that would hold dust...just blinds that would be changed once every six months. A big exhaust fan for my stove, and the cats would be taken to the grooming people when they start shedding....they would go at least once a week. I would buy new pillows once a month because of the dust and other mites, and actually would prefer my bedding to be washed twice a week. My vehicle would get detailed weekly....vacuumed and washed. I would stay indoors and never go anywhere. I would have a house cleaner that made sure that everything was dusted daily. Floors mopped..not vacuumed...mopped daily. Windows would be cleaned every two weeks. But, I don't have all that money, so I just do the best I can. Actually, I probably still would have asthma attacks...possibly most likely even worse with all the cleaning and such LOL!!!! Those were just dreams and thoughts. love you all!CindiTerry wrote:

That's something I've heard that works, Ok since we're on the topic of those not just children but also adults with the dry air in the house does that bother you? Do you use a humidifier at all? I'm trying to find a way to make this winter a bit easier on my lungs and my nerves, Our house is 9 years old and is very air tight. What seems to help you guys and gals in the winter outside of the precautions when going outside, by covering the mouth and nose. I take Sudafed at the first sign of sinus drainage.

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Marie KrissmanSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:28 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra

Marie

From: Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!To: asthma Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

One of our projects for this upcoming year is to pull up the carpet and put Pergo down, and the paid Maid will return to clean the house to give me a break.

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:50 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

actually honey makes me worse...it makes my throat burn, and all the way down burns. I may be allergic to honey. In the winter I love any humidity that occurs naturally in the house but that is because we live in Arizona. Mold can be a real problem.In fact! Someone emailed me personally from this list...they had me mixed up with ones who cannot do hot showers. I love hot showers, and she thought I was the one that had a hard time with them...but she brought up a real good point...is it the mold in the shower curtains or walls that might be setting your asthma off rather than the hot showers? Again, in Arizona we have little mold...our mold is in the summer with our swamp coolers. Personally, if I had all the money in the world, no matter where I lived, I would have central air and heat, and change the filters once a month. But, most of us do not have all the money in the world. I would have air tight windows, doors, well insulated, and run that central thing all year long. ha ha ha. I would have no carpets, concrete tile floors, no curtains that would hold dust...just blinds that would be changed once every six months. A big exhaust fan for my stove, and the cats would be taken to the grooming people when they start shedding....they would go at least once a week. I would buy new pillows once a month because of the dust and other mites, and actually would prefer my bedding to be washed twice a week. My vehicle would get detailed weekly....vacuumed and washed. I would stay indoors and never go anywhere. I would have a house cleaner that made sure that everything was dusted daily. Floors mopped..not vacuumed...mopped daily. Windows would be cleaned every two weeks. But, I don't have all that money, so I just do the best I can. Actually, I probably still would have asthma attacks...possibly most likely even worse with all the cleaning and such LOL!!!! Those were just dreams and thoughts. love you all!CindiTerry wrote:

Debra

Marie

Hi Debra. Welcome to the group. Everything is harder when it is our

children. It is much easier for me to deal with being in the hospital

than for my kids to have a simple cold. Try not to worry too much.

He can pick up on your stress and that will stress him. Stress is a

major trigger for most of us. The only other productive things I can

think of are (like Cindi said) the meds you mentioned that he takes

are all controller meds. He HAS TO take these every day as prescribed

without fail, even if he has gone months without symptoms. These are

designed to prevent attacks, but will not work well if you wait until

he is having trouble before giving them to him. I'm not saying that

he will never improve, but it is so important not to make any changes

in his meds without doctor approval. So many of us have had to learn

that the hard way. The only other real advice is when he is having

trouble breathing he can help control the panic and the actual attack

by counting his breaths. Teach him to breathe in through his nose (I

use a 3 or 4 count but that is variable - he will probably be more

comfortable with a 2) then breathe out through pursed lips (like

through a straw) for twice the time he breathed in. That will help

mentally and physically in an attack. Please keep us updated on his

progress.

Madeline

>

> I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background

> on my little boy.

>

> My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it

> several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly

> because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child.

> He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several

> years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it

> was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006

> he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The

> following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication

> changes and more admissions. This past January he started off

> showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a

> high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray

> because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was

> placed on steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of

> steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours

> after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he

> couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being

> admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons

> of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much

> muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore.

> After a two week stay he was able to go home.

>

> He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was

> 180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we

> have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in

> the green so I don't worry to much.

>

> He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15;

> and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday.

>

> Over the weekend, my son started developing lots of congestion. He

> had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily

> medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem

> like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going

> around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's

> at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the

> doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung

> even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol

> 4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this

> works but is there something else for me to do?

>

> Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal

> taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back

> clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They

> said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was

> also told that his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later

> on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.

>

> I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him.

> Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I

> just need advice and help.

>

> Is there something else I should be doing?

>

> - Debra

>

My cousin's boy was extremely sick as a child and has very bad asthma. Winter has historically been a very bad month for him...particularly between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They had to get special clearance for him to carry his own inhaler on him at school because the nurse wasnt always there and if he started with an attack, any delay at all would end up in the kid being in the ER. His worst year, he missed 10 out of 20 days of school b/c of his asthma. At 8 yrs old he was maxed out on adult doses of whatever meds he was on at the time and it did affect his growth somewhat (however, he has now caught up on that end).

They were sure the boy had cystic fibrosis at some point and he went through all kinds of testing for that. Fortunately it was negative. What they DID find however, is that his sinuses were seriously misshapen. I know at one point they were talking about surgically correcting it but I dont know if they did or not.

At any rate, when xolair came out, they determined he was a good candidate for it and started him on it. He has improved SO much on the xolair...his hospitalizations went from 4-5 a year to ONE! His asthma has been much better for him and now he is able to play sports, sing in choir and be a firematics explorer (which is like being a jr. firefighter only they dont go on fire calls). It has again been one year since his last hospitalization so hopefully he can make it this year. He is almost 17 now...and is finally getting a real handle on his asthma.

One thing his parents did, was send him to an asthma camp over one of the summers. He DID recognize he was different from the other kids, maybe b/c he has a brother and sister who are healthy, and it frustrated him. He was getting depressed over it and wondering if he was the only kid in the world that was that bad and he had alot of questions his parents couldnt answer at the time. (At the time, neither had asthma. Mom has since been diagnosed with asthma.) For him, it turned out to be a great thing because he learned alot about asthma, and he realized he is not the only one.

Anyway, I guess what Im saying is that theres hope for your son. He might have a very rough road ahead of him or maybe not. Hopefully he might improve as he gets older. Keep on the doctors about what is going on and if you dont like the doctor, find one you do like. Good luck in your son's treatment and I hope he gets better as he gets older.

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

Wow Cindi. You don't want much, do you. ;-) hehehehe

Cheryl Burton ncicheryl@...

To: asthma Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 5:49:38 PMSubject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

actually honey makes me worse...it makes my throat burn, and all the way down burns. I may be allergic to honey. In the winter I love any humidity that occurs naturally in the house but that is because we live in Arizona. Mold can be a real problem.In fact! Someone emailed me personally from this list...they had me mixed up with ones who cannot do hot showers. I love hot showers, and she thought I was the one that had a hard time with them...but she brought up a real good point...is it the mold in the shower curtains or walls that might be setting your asthma off rather than the hot showers? Again, in Arizona we have little mold...our mold is in the summer with our swamp coolers. Personally, if I had all the money in the world, no matter where I lived, I would have central air and heat, and change the filters once a month. But, most of us do not have all the money in the world. I would have air tight windows, doors, well insulated,

and run that central thing all year long. ha ha ha. I would have no carpets, concrete tile floors, no curtains that would hold dust...just blinds that would be changed once every six months. A big exhaust fan for my stove, and the cats would be taken to the grooming people when they start shedding.... they would go at least once a week. I would buy new pillows once a month because of the dust and other mites, and actually would prefer my bedding to be washed twice a week. My vehicle would get detailed weekly....vacuumed and washed. I would stay indoors and never go anywhere. I would have a house cleaner that made sure that everything was dusted daily. Floors mopped..not vacuumed...mopped daily. Windows would be cleaned every two weeks. But, I don't have all that money, so I just do the best I can. Actually, I probably still would have asthma attacks...possibly most likely even worse with all the cleaning and such LOL!!!! Those were just dreams and

thoughts. love you all!CindiTerry wrote:

From: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:asthma@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Marie KrissmanSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:28 PMTo: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra

Marie

From: Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!To: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

I am not new to the group but I haven't posted. Here is background on my little boy. My seven year old son has asthma - the doctor's are now calling it several asthma. He was diagnosed when he was 15 months old - mainly because he was showing signs and his father had asthma as a child. He was put on medication but then never had an attack again. Several years went by and we took him off the medication since we thought it was really gone. That was 2002 when he was diagnosed and now in 2006 he started up again. He started with 4 attacks that winter. The following winter (2007-2008) another 3 attacks. More medication changes and more admissions. This past January he started off showing signs of strep throat - he was treated. He later developed a high fever that gave him scarlet fever. He was also given an xray because he was slightly wheezing. Xray showed nothing. He was placed on

steroids for 4 days. Two days after the 4th day of steriods, he came from school coughing and coughing. Fours hours after he came home he was so exhausted and started panicing that he couldn't breath. The ambulance came and within 2 hours of being admitted he was put on a vent. He was intubated for 8 days with tons of machines pumping drugs into him. My baby had developed so much muscus in his lungs that his lungs weren't even moving anymore. After a two week stay he was able to go home. He currently has a peak flow and his personal best at the time was 180. Over the summer that number went up to 230. Right now that we have hit winter again he barely makes the 200 mark. It is still in the green so I don't worry to much. He is currently on Nasonex (2 puffs once a day); Advair HFA 230/15; and Zyrtec (10mg). He takes all these medications everyday. Over the weekend, my son started

developing lots of congestion. He had congestion over the past week but with musinex and his daily medications he was able to clear it out. This time it doesn't seem like enough and he can't get out of the yellow zone. Colds are going around the area and I think he caught that. His peak flow is 160's at best. Once in a while it will get to 170's. I took him to the doctor today and she said that she heard crackling in his lower lung even after he coughed and tried to clear it. She put him on Abuterol 4x a day for 2 days and then tapering off daily. We are hoping this works but is there something else for me to do?Also, during February's episode he underwent CT Scans, MRI's, spinal taps, allergy testing, you name it they did it. Everything came back clear. They never did fgure out what put him into the attack. They said that he had a slight allergy to molds but that was it. I was also told that

his lung did not look like an asthma lung until later on it was not what brought him into the emergency room.I guess I am just scared as Winter months are the worse for him. Over the summer he went through a cold/fever and was just fine. I just need advice and help.Is there something else I should be doing? - Debra

I wish we could afford to have the carpet ripped up and get hardwood floors or laminate. Our carpet is only 4 years old and is horrible to keep up. But, that is only a wish for us.

To: asthma Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:26:28 PMSubject: RE: Help with Son's Symptoms!

From: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:asthma@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:50 PMTo: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

actually honey makes me worse...it makes my throat burn, and all the way down burns. I may be allergic to honey. In the winter I love any humidity that occurs naturally in the house but that is because we live in Arizona. Mold can be a real problem.In fact! Someone emailed me personally from this list...they had me mixed up with ones who cannot do hot showers. I love hot showers, and she thought I was the one that had a hard time with them...but she brought up a real good point...is it the mold in the shower curtains or walls that might be setting your asthma off rather than the hot showers? Again, in Arizona we have little mold...our mold is in the summer with our swamp coolers. Personally, if I had all the money in the world, no matter where I lived, I would have central air and heat, and change the filters once a month. But, most of us do not have all the money in the world. I would have air tight windows, doors, well insulated,

and run that central thing all year long. ha ha ha. I would have no carpets, concrete tile floors, no curtains that would hold dust...just blinds that would be changed once every six months. A big exhaust fan for my stove, and the cats would be taken to the grooming people when they start shedding.... they would go at least once a week. I would buy new pillows once a month because of the dust and other mites, and actually would prefer my bedding to be washed twice a week. My vehicle would get detailed weekly....vacuumed and washed. I would stay indoors and never go anywhere. I would have a house cleaner that made sure that everything was dusted daily. Floors mopped..not vacuumed...mopped daily. Windows would be cleaned every two weeks. But, I don't have all that money, so I just do the best I can. Actually, I probably still would have asthma attacks...possibly most likely even worse with all the cleaning and such LOL!!!! Those were just dreams and

thoughts. love you all!CindiTerry wrote:

From: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:asthma@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Marie KrissmanSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:28 PMTo: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Debra

Marie

From: Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!To: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

Cindi, and others with mold problems -- I was at my local Home Depot looking at paint the other day. They had small packets of anti-fungal stuff (that's a very technical term, isn't it? ;-> ) at the paint counter. I think they were about $4 each. You choose your paint, have this powder mixed with the paint and you now have an anti-mold paint in the color of your choice. Start with Killz primer and the kitchen, bath, windows, and anywhere else will have a layer of defense that did not exist before. When we move into our own home, the whole house will have this primer/paint combo.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Will keep this info.

To: asthma Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:02:49 AMSubject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Cindi, and others with mold problems -- I was at my local Home Depot looking at paint the other day. They had small packets of anti-fungal stuff (that's a very technical term, isn't it? ;-> ) at the paint counter. I think they were about $4 each. You choose your paint, have this powder mixed with the paint and you now have an anti-mold paint in the color of your choice. Start with Killz primer and the kitchen, bath, windows, and anywhere else will have a layer of defense that did not exist before. When we move into our own home, the whole house will have this primer/paint combo.

Mike

So sorry Debra. That must be very hard. I am always looking for signs

of asthma in my 6 yo and scared she will wake up not being able to

breathe one day like I did. It sounds like you are very much on top of

things. I would just be sure the meds are taken daily and keep a

nebulizer ready to go at home for bad days. You may want to run a

humidifier at night and see if it helps. Also, IMO clear hot drinks

and liquids help loosen up the mucus for me- tea, soups, broth. Also

lots of water (room temp or hot with lemon) to stay hydrated and thin

out the mucus. I try to avoid colds like the plague but if I do start

to come down with one I start using Zicam nasal swabs immediately and

it makes it less severe usually (I use them on my 6 yo as well).

GL and I hope your son outgrows his symptoms.

>

> on my little boy.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> - Debra

>

I think it is a great wish list. Only I would add a nanny! LOL

Madeline

>

> From: Debra Domingo <DebraMDsatx (DOT) rr.com>

> Subject: Help with Son's Symptoms!

> To: asthmayahoogroups (DOT) com

> Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

>

>

> on my little boy.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> - Debra

>

That is too cool. Take into account the low VOC paints and paper free

drywall, and it will be a breeze. We should be able to really improve

air quality dramatically! Wow.

Madeline

>

> Cindi, and others with mold problems --  I was at my local Home

Depot looking at paint the other day.  They had small packets of

anti-fungal stuff (that's a very technical term, isn't it?  ;->  )  at

the paint counter.  I think they were about $4 each.  You  choose your

paint, have this powder mixed with the paint and you now have an

anti-mold paint in the color of your choice.  Start with Killz primer

and the kitchen, bath, windows, and anywhere else will have a layer of

defense that did not exist before.  When we move into our own home,

the whole house will have this primer/paint combo.

>

> Mike

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

I was struggling with Asthma since I had 3 days old. My parents had to move near a hospital because I was taking almost purple to the ER a lot so, they decided to move near. I had my hair cut as a boy because sometimes I was so sick, I sweat a lot and it was kind of "bad" to bath me (I was raised by my grandma so, those were the thoughts and ideas they had back then). I also remember sleeping sitting in the bed, with lots of pillows, listening to my grandma crying and praying.. I felt so protected hearing her. They put me on shots from 4yrs till 8 yrs. It since to work so they stop the treatment. Oh! by the way, living in Mexico (with like 20 steps under US knowledge the doctor at that time (70's 80's) they didn't diagnosed me with asthma but with hay fever (? They were so wrong). Then they though it was my tonsils and they were removed when I was 6. Yes, I stopped having tonsillitis but instead I got tons of larigitis and pharyngitis and tracheatitis (traqhea inflamation) so.. For me growing up with cold, flue and all of this was "natural". Later when I was a teenager I was kidnapped by a man who was following me for over 2 months and wanted to rape me, luckily I escaped but since he know a lot about my family and my grandma heart condition (she was very hill) and threat me with that, I decided to not tell anyone, and kept it a secret, even for my self. I was like 16. Starting that time, I began to have asthma symptoms and gaining weight. I had at least 3 Bronchitis every month and went to ER at least 4 times, then they declared me asthmatic and for life.

I don't have kids, I'm single. But I have 2 sister with wonderful children and sadly they both have at least one girl with asthma. I watch them and I understand that, as a parent and asthma suffer, I suffer very much when they get sick. I am the one who is always saying to my sister to take care of them and pushing them to go to our "Family Allergologist" every time I hear them coughing. Now I understand that, maybe I'm wrong but, for me suffer asthma is less painful than seeing your children suffering it (well , in my case my nieces but, imagine being a mother)...

Sorry I thing I got out of the point, lol.

Debra, one more thing, is he ok emotionally? Sometimes asthma is trigger by emotion tension or something like that. I also have asthma worsen in summer, not in winter, for me a cold day is very good to me (except when is raining). But the one thing that is killing me sometimes is weather change; I can't be in a very hot place and then get out to a cold place.. I even get dissy and start sweeting and even chacking and when it worse the weather change, I have an asthma attack. So I cant have heaters if not in all of my house, because, if I have one in my room and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the weather change may trigger and asthma attack. So I always have to be the same weather. Lol, sometime when I am in the bus, i get in and in winter, I always tried to have my window a little bit open, sometimes i get bad eyes at me but, I must take care of my heatlh..

-- RE: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Oh no I"m not upset at all! I was only diagnosed Christmas eve will be 2 years ago and it's been rough, but to hear a child going through it just pulls at my heart strings, I like how you related to him. Yes we do work well as a team! That's what Friends do!

Love you too

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Rodney & CindiSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:36 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Help with Son's Symptoms!

Terry......I know that you have only had been diagnosed with asthma not since your childhood...unlike me. I was relating to the little guy..how his mind might be thinking. I never meant to put your thoughts down!!! You did a wonderful job of replying!!! Please don't worry about what I said as opposed to what you said....I thought we made one nice team together!!!! I am sorry if you took it to be putting what you said down...never never meant that!love ya sister!!CindiTerry wrote: