RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: Exercise

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ALWAYS use your rescue inhaler and make sure your body is WELL hydrated before starting to exercise and drink alot during the exercise, YES most likely in the beginning you'll have to stop to take a drag off the inhaler, but start slow and work your way up. I do the steps in our house faster and faster each day, I have a stop watch so I can pace myself. Now when the Wii is officially out of the box it's gonna be hard to hold myself back, everyone says it's soo much fun!

So just take it slow and use that rescue inhaler 30 minutes prior to exercise to get your lungs ready. IF you have had a chest cold etc, DO NOT START exercise for a few weeks until your lungs have gotten over that!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of lilli_nycSent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:34 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Exercise

Jenn,I do pilates once a week and it works for me. It is an adult ed. classthrough my school district and very low-key. It focuses on stretchingand toning individual muscles at a time, while also being aware ofyour breathing. I also find it relaxing because you are very focusedon performing the exercises and breathing and not thinking aboutanything else. And I don't have to worry about getting out of breathas in other types of exercise classes.>> Since getting diagnosed with asthma this year, I have done verylittle exercise. I decided to go easy until the docs had got my asthmaunder control, then because I had my uni finals, I just nver had time. > Â > I did do a bit in Cuba (salsa dancing, and hiking up a mountain!),and was okay then, but the climate there suited me quite well.> Â > For the last 6 weeks, I've been struggling quite a bit with myasthma (going to go tomorrow to see if the docs can get me in before Igo home for the Christmas hols - probably won't be able to get anappointment with teh nurse now as it's a 1/2 appointment, buthopefully I will get in to see a doctor), then yesterday, I did myfirst bit of exercise since then, leaning to dance Sevillanas, whichwas quite physical. I had to go out at one point and get my inhaler asI was struggling so much, and it made me realise that I am going tohave to be *very* careful about what sort of exercise I have a go at.What do you all do that works well? Justwalking isn't really anoption, as I try to walk as mich as I can anyway. > Â > Jenn> > > > Tha can tek t'lass outta Yorkshire...!> Â > Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'llbe who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.>

30 mins before - maybe that's where I really went wrong on Saturday, as I only took it right before we started. I'll try to remember that for next time!

My flatmate has told me that our local swimming baths are very heavily chlorinated (though he is German, so it might be that our levels are different to theirs and that it is, in fact, what I'm used to...), so will have to be careful if I go down that route.

Jenn

Tha can tek t'lass outta Yorkshire...!

Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'll be who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.

Subject: RE: Re: ExerciseTo: asthma Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 12:23 PM

ALWAYS use your rescue inhaler and make sure your body is WELL hydrated before starting to exercise and drink alot during the exercise, YES most likely in the beginning you'll have to stop to take a drag off the inhaler, but start slow and work your way up. I do the steps in our house faster and faster each day, I have a stop watch so I can pace myself. Now when the Wii is officially out of the box it's gonna be hard to hold myself back, everyone says it's soo much fun!

So just take it slow and use that rescue inhaler 30 minutes prior to exercise to get your lungs ready. IF you have had a chest cold etc, DO NOT START exercise for a few weeks until your lungs have gotten over that!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of lilli_nycSent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:34 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Exercise

Jenn,I do pilates once a week and it works for me. It is an adult ed. classthrough my school district and very low-key. It focuses on stretchingand toning individual muscles at a time, while also being aware ofyour breathing. I also find it relaxing because you are very focusedon performing the exercises and breathing and not thinking aboutanything else. And I don't have to worry about getting out of breathas in other types of exercise classes.>> Since getting diagnosed with asthma this year, I have done verylittle exercise. I decided to go easy until the docs had got my asthmaunder control, then because I had my uni finals, I just nver had time. > Â > I did do a bit in Cuba (salsa dancing, and

hiking up a mountain!),and was okay then, but the climate there suited me quite well.> Â > For the last 6 weeks, I've been struggling quite a bit with myasthma (going to go tomorrow to see if the docs can get me in before Igo home for the Christmas hols - probably won't be able to get anappointment with teh nurse now as it's a 1/2 appointment, buthopefully I will get in to see a doctor), then yesterday, I did myfirst bit of exercise since then, leaning to dance Sevillanas, whichwas quite physical. I had to go out at one point and get my inhaler asI was struggling so much, and it made me realise that I am going tohave to be *very* careful about what sort of exercise I have a go at.What do you all do that works well? Justwalking isn't really anoption, as I try to walk as mich as I can anyway. > Â > Jenn> > > > Tha can tek t'lass outta

Yorkshire... !> Â > Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'llbe who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.>

HEY THANKS I need that extra boost of "Way to go" because as we all know we all try so hard to adapt to our new lives with asthma, it's such a challenge, but we can do what we can to live with it!

So thanks Alana

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of sea_girl111Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:27 AMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Exercise

Terry,Congrats on your excercise program!Alana> >> > Since getting diagnosed with asthma this year, I have done very> little exercise. I decided to go easy until the docs had got my asthma> under control, then because I had my uni finals, I just nver had time. > > Â > > I did do a bit in Cuba (salsa dancing, and hiking up a mountain!),> and was okay then, but the climate there suited me quite well.> > Â > > For the last 6 weeks, I've been struggling quite a bit with my> asthma (going to go tomorrow to see if the docs can get me in before I> go home for the Christmas hols - probably won't be able to get an> appointment with teh nurse now as it's a 1/2 appointment, but> hopefully I will get in to see a doctor), then yesterday, I did my> first bit of exercise since then, leaning to dance Sevillanas, which> was quite physical. I had to go out at one point and get my inhaler as> I was struggling so much, and it made me realise that I am going to> have to be *very* careful about what sort of exercise I have a go at.> What do you all do that works well? Justwalking isn't really an> option, as I try to walk as mich as I can anyway. > > Â > > Jenn> > > > > > > > Tha can tek t'lass outta Yorkshire...!> > Â > > Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'll> be who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.> >>

• 2 months later...

I am also enrolled (by my doctor) in the pulmonary rehabilitation program at the hospital. Actually, I am enrolled in physical, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation. I do the cardiac and pulmonary three times a week. How often do you have yours? I have not had improvements in my PFT results as well since I started therapy.

Congratulations on being able to walk through the store. I have yet to do that. Right now, I am happy with being able to just walk across the room occasionally without getting short of breath too much. Sometimes I get out of bed, walk to the bathroom and be so short of breath that I have to use my inhaler.

Jan

I have been doing doctor ordered Pulmonary Therapy which is basically

an exercise program using different pieces of machinery while being

monitored by a licensed pulmonary therapist. The machines we use are

a recumbent bike, a treadmill, a machine with handles that you turn

with your arms, and a machine that you sit in that is kind of a cross

between a ski machine and a stair stepper. Of course you start with

low time and almost no resistance and slowly build up. This hasn't

seemed to help a lot as far as my PFT results are concerned, but it

has greatly increased my stamina. I used to be out of breath just

changing over a load of laundry. Now I can do a lot more. Still have

to take a steady pace, but I can walk through the store rather than

ride in a chair. Big improvement.

Madeline

>

> Hi Everyone,

> I do agree that heavy exercise set off asthma attacks and

drinking a lot of water helps. Normally I use my nebuliser before

serious workout or exercise - even then I would slow down if I felt

shortness of breath to the extent that I cant say a single word. I

would also get an attack of cold and flu or fever if I over exercise.

> On a bad day I would be afraid even to draw in deep breath. A

casual walk at the mall would be strenuous. How do you overcome a day

like that.. ? I have read some members take heavy medication and

treatment... what would be you good day ? Normally I would exercise

outside , in the open air or golf ( if I can ) ..... any exercise in

the house with carpets, curtains and sofas... I would be in trouble.

> I believe the US would have wide open space and good clean air and

the sun.. that would make outside activities fun. The Philippines and

Caribbeans would have the same climate as Malaysia.. Tq. Nordin

>