the med get away. The closer you hold it to your mouth the more will

get sprayed against the back of your throat and it doesn't do any good

there.

>

> This seems like a caring group.

>

> Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about an

> inch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He said

> you get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?

>

> Last night an amazing thing happened.

>

> When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperature

> hardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn't

> come on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.

>

> Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a little

> circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't know

> how it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so it

> couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a very

> lucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I felt

> great! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and out

> with no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out without

> coughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to go

> where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was winded

> after about five steps.

>

> When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started having

> trouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I've

> generally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever I

> got. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feel

> better. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed with

> cotton. I never did get back to sleep.

>

> Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about

> 3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go of

> this disease.

>

Hi and welcome! When it comes to using your inhaler, please look into using a spacer, also known as a chamber. My doctor told me that without the spacer I was probably getting about 30% of the medication into my lungs. With the chamber, it moves up to almost 90%. I think I got mine at the local pharmacy. Good luck.

Mike

To: asthma Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:34:22 PMSubject: Introduction Part 2

This seems like a caring group.Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about aninch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He saidyou get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?Last night an amazing thing happened.When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperaturehardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn'tcome on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a littlecirculation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't knowhow it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so itcouldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a verylucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I feltgreat! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and outwith no trouble. I could take a

deep breath and let it out withoutcoughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to gowhere you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was windedafter about five steps.When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started havingtrouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I'vegenerally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever Igot. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feelbetter. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed withcotton. I never did get back to sleep.Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go ofthis disease.

Well there's part of my problem, I stopped using my spacer, UHH someone smack me please!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFTSent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:41 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Introduction Part 2

I agree about holding the inhaler about an inch away from your mouthwhen you activate it. Even better is if you could get a spacer touse. This will help you keep the proper distance and not let any ofthe med get away. The closer you hold it to your mouth the more willget sprayed against the back of your throat and it doesn't do any goodthere. >> This seems like a caring group.> > Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about an> inch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He said> you get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?> > Last night an amazing thing happened.> > When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperature> hardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn't> come on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.> > Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a little> circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't know> how it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so it> couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a very> lucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I felt> great! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and out> with no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out without> coughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to go> where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was winded> after about five steps.> > When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started having> trouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I've> generally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever I> got. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feel> better. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed with> cotton. I never did get back to sleep.> > Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about> 3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go of> this disease.>

Where is part 1?

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of nogjogSent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:34 PMTo: asthma Subject: Introduction Part 2

This seems like a caring group.Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about aninch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He saidyou get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?Last night an amazing thing happened.When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperaturehardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn'tcome on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a littlecirculation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't knowhow it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so itcouldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a verylucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I feltgreat! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and outwith no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out withoutcoughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to gowhere you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was windedafter about five steps.When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started havingtrouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I'vegenerally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever Igot. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feelbetter. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed withcotton. I never did get back to sleep.Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go ofthis disease.

You can buy them on Amazon.com too!

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of McBrideSent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:45 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Introduction Part 2

Hi and welcome! When it comes to using your inhaler, please look into using a spacer, also known as a chamber. My doctor told me that without the spacer I was probably getting about 30% of the medication into my lungs. With the chamber, it moves up to almost 90%. I think I got mine at the local pharmacy. Good luck.

Mike

From: nogjog <nogjog>To: asthma Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:34:22 PMSubject: Introduction Part 2

This seems like a caring group.Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about aninch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He saidyou get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?Last night an amazing thing happened.When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperaturehardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn'tcome on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a littlecirculation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't knowhow it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so itcouldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a verylucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I feltgreat! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and outwith no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out withoutcoughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to gowhere you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was windedafter about five steps.When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started havingtrouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I'vegenerally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever Igot. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feelbetter. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed withcotton. I never did get back to sleep.Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go ofthis disease.

I think my problem started when I took my daycare children out to play yesterday, I think the mold from the leaves got stirred up and BAM had a terrible time last night and all through out today. I had to end up Doubling my dosage of the Xopenex in my machine to get relief, it was the only way I could keep out of the ER.

Oh the dr wasn't happy with the movement of air in my lungs but asked/told me infront of my dh and ds and inlaws at my youngest band concert that I was to take it easy for a few days, to keep using the nebulizer the way he has me using it now and to call him tomorrow with my pf #'s I never should have taken the kids out yesterday, I knew it was a mistake. and tonight my chest is soo tight from the coughing and stress and my heart pounding onto the chest wall. If I can just get through Thursday, then I have off for 2 entire weeks.

I'm sorry your too having trouble!

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of nogjogSent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:34 PMTo: asthma Subject: Introduction Part 2

I am in GA as well. North Georgia about an hour north of Atlanta.

The barometric changes we had yesterday and last night with the front

coming through played havoc with me as well. It seems to be that low

pressure systems cause me the most trouble. I don't know who you were

talking to, but I have never heard that. It seems very

counterproductive. However, in order to get the most medicine into

your lungs when using an inhaler you need a spacer. If you have an

appt. with your doc soon he may have one he can give you (drug reps

leave them there all the time). Otherwise you can pick one up at any

major pharmacy. They are not expensive. $10-$20 and last a long

time. You put the inhaler into one end, press the inhaler once or

twice depending on your prescription (make sure to always shake them

well), and then breathe in slowly through the other end. If you hear

a whistling sound your are breathing in too fast. Then wait 1-2

minutes to repeat the process. That is the very best way to use an

inhaler. Although, they are a tad bit bulky (if you carry one of

those wallet purses you won't like it) and many of us are sensitive

about using them in public. However, I now have a portable nebulizer

and am on liquid meds rather than inhalers at all. That is much more

invasisve and embarrassing to use! LOL. Hope this helps some.

Madeline

>

>

> Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about an

>

>

> When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperature

>

> circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't know

> couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a very

> where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was winded

>

> When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started having

>

> this disease.

>

I don;t think that holding an inhaler away from your mouth will work - that few cms ismore space for some of hte medication to be 'lost'. Remember that only about 1/5 of it actually makes it to your lungs anway.

I know my inhalers definitely wouldn't work like that, as they are ones where the canister is automatically pressed down as you breathe in, so if it was away from your mouth, there would not be the necessary pressure there.

jenn

Tha can tek t'lass outta Yorkshire...!

Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'll be who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.

Subject: Introduction Part 2To: asthma Date: Wednesday, 17 December, 2008, 2:34 AMThis seems like a caring group.

Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about an

inch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He said

you get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?

Last night an amazing thing happened.

When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperature

hardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn't

come on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.

Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a little

circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't know

how it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so it

couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a very

lucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I felt

great! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and out

with no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out without

coughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to go

where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was winded

after about five steps.

When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started having

trouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I've

generally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever I

got. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feel

better. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed with

cotton. I never did get back to sleep.

Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about

3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go of

this disease.

------------------------------------

Proventil fits into any chamber! And I get residue in my chamber from ALL my inhalers so yes it should be cleaned!

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of hicando@...Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:05 PMTo: asthma ; asthma Cc: McBrideSubject: Re: Introduction Part 2

Hello group,

I am catching up on my e mail.

This post got me curious. I was interested in the 90% more medication when a chamber is used. I use proventil and have not had to rinse and spit after use.

Do you have to have a prescription for thechamber.

Do you think there is one to fit Proventil?

Hicando

--------- Introduction Part 2

Thank you for replying

--------- Introduction Part 2> > > This seems like a caring group.> > Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about an> inch away from my mouth, compress the unit, and breathe in. He said> you get more of the medicine this way. What do yall think?> > Last night an amazing thing happened.> > When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal temperature> hardly changes. It can hang somewhere for hours. So the fan doesn't> come on. I've learned that fan really helps circulate the air.> > Last night I decided to open the window to hopefully get a little> circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't know> how it would affect me but figured I already felt bad enough so it> couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a very> lucky stage of the disease.) I woke up after four hours and I felt> great! It was the first time in a month I could breathe in and out> with no trouble. I could take a deep breath and let it out without> coughing. I as amazed. But it was very short lived. I got up to go> where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was winded> after about five steps.> > When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started having> trouble. Most of it this time was above my chin whereas I've> generally been more distressed below my chin since I got whatever I> got. My sinuses just clogged up. Everytime I'd sit up I'd feel> better. Lay back down and it's like my whole head is stuffed with> cotton. I never did get back to sleep.> > Today turned out to be a rough day overall. It was great from about> 3:00 - 3:10 this morning but that's all. I hate the come and go of> this disease.>

Thanx

--------- Introduction Part 2

I found the email LOL!!!! Again, it seems that the spacer is better,

but at least I am not holding the inhaler in my mouth anymore.

Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:

I agree about holding the inhaler about an inch away from your

mouth

when you activate it. Even better is if you could get a spacer to

use. This will help you keep the proper distance and not let any of

the med get away. The closer you hold it to your mouth the more will

get sprayed against the back of your throat and it doesn't do any good

there.

>

>

> Today a guy told me I should hold my albuterol and Symbicort about

an

>

>

> When the temps are between 65 and 75, my house's internal

temperature

>

> circulation. It was softly raining here in Georgia and I didn't

know

> couldn't help. (Reading this group a little showed me I am in a

very

> where you go in the middle of the night when you get up and was

winded

>

> When I got back to the bed and laid down I immediately started

having

>

> this disease.

>