RemedySpot.com

Re:Asthma, steriods and alcohol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My grandma (age 85) decided to drink a glass of wine a day to help her heart, even though she is as healthy as a horse, but she had to stop due to it increasing her asthma symptoms. She is not on steroids, so it was definitely the alcohol.

I get that way too BUT...only when I drink red wine. I can drink white wines without the same degree of reaction- its much more subtle. I believe in my case, at least part of it is inherited from my dad b/c he has the same reaction when he drinks too. On the other hand, I have allergies to sulfa based medications and I believe that this can cross over to sulfites as Ive had the same reaction to dried fruit when I eat too much. I am also allergic to deciduous trees (the trees that lose their leaves)..and as I learned in Florida Oak is a biggie. Red wines are generally aged in oak barrels and aslo have oak in them...so I attribute my reactions to my heredity, the sulfites and the oak.

I also react to beer in pretty much the same way...again...sulfites seem to be the contributing factor.

When I do drink which is not often..(I moved an open six pack from Florida to here Dec 1 and I still have 4 of them), I stick to malted drinks like Smirnoffs Ice or Parrot Bay type stuff. Or Rum...:-) I dont have any reaction to these...

AnnListen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

Yeah, I don't really get out enough to drink very much. I am usually too tired, but I don't think I have any reaction at all.

I get that way too BUT...only when I drink red wine. I can drink white wines without the same degree of reaction- its much more subtle. I believe in my case, at least part of it is inherited from my dad b/c he has the same reaction when he drinks too. On the other hand, I have allergies to sulfa based medications and I believe that this can cross over to sulfites as Ive had the same reaction to dried fruit when I eat too much. I am also allergic to deciduous trees (the trees that lose their leaves)..and as I learned in Florida Oak is a biggie. Red wines are generally aged in oak barrels and aslo have oak in them...so I attribute my reactions to my heredity, the sulfites and the oak. I also react to beer in pretty much the same way...again...sulfites seem to be the contributing factor.When I do drink which is not often..(I moved an open six pack from Florida to here Dec 1 and I still have 4 of them), I stick to malted drinks like Smirnoffs Ice or Parrot Bay type stuff. Or Rum...:-) I dont have any reaction to these...Ann

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

I can't speak for wines and such but beers are made with barley and some other stuff, we went to a workshop and they showed us how it was made, Budweiser had the workshop, it was cool. I don't like the smell of beer my dh can drink loads of it and not get drunk. probably why his tummy is big too!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of MendezSent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:09 PMTo: asthma Subject: Re: Re:Asthma, steriods and alcohol

Yeah, I don't really get out enough to drink very much. I am usually too tired, but I don't think I have any reaction at all.

I get that way too BUT...only when I drink red wine. I can drink white wines without the same degree of reaction- its much more subtle. I believe in my case, at least part of it is inherited from my dad b/c he has the same reaction when he drinks too. On the other hand, I have allergies to sulfa based medications and I believe that this can cross over to sulfites as Ive had the same reaction to dried fruit when I eat too much. I am also allergic to deciduous trees (the trees that lose their leaves)..and as I learned in Florida Oak is a biggie. Red wines are generally aged in oak barrels and aslo have oak in them...so I attribute my reactions to my heredity, the sulfites and the oak. I also react to beer in pretty much the same way...again...sulfites seem to be the contributing factor.When I do drink which is not often..(I moved an open six pack from Florida to here Dec 1 and I still have 4 of them), I stick to malted drinks like Smirnoffs Ice or Parrot Bay type stuff. Or Rum...:-) I dont have any reaction to these...Ann

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!