RemedySpot.com

happiness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

LOL.

JW: you often mention that your grandson will grow up to be doctor and at

age 22? How can you be so sure this is going to happen?

Our kids have a way of growing up and doing what they will.

on 2/18/2005 11:51 AM, jwwright at jwwright@... wrote:

> More importantly, I have a gson that will graduate med school at age 22 like

> his uncle. So happiness is where you find it.

>

> Regards.

>

My biggest advantage in life has been my " disadvantaged " childhood.

Learning to do things for myself and learning to do without things has

helped me immensely during my adulthood. And being happy with what I have

now and not always yearning for more is the best success a person can have.

Didn't Budda say that material desire brings suffering?

CRON is all about learning to do without. Of course in today's world doing

with less food is a conscious choice and not an indication of our level of

wealth.

Maybe someone should develop a " material restriction " (MR) lifestyle or is

that minimalism. A deliberate choice to have less and want less. CRON

makes for a healthy body, maybe MR would make for a healthy mind and spirit?

In all honesty I do hope that one day I will have more financial security.

However, I want that not because I want more stuff but because I want more

time. I'd like to retire early so I can spend more time with my kids and

pursue personal goals and hobbies. Selling my days to a large corporation

is very demoralizing. Just my opinion; I don't mean to offend.

Greg

My son did it. My gson is smarter. He may very well choose later to do something else, but his mother is a bigger incentivizer than I was. Actually his temperament is more suited than my family so he fits that profile better. Looking back I would have hated dealing with the numerous personas in patients, but there are many places a dr can be useful. I think temperament and intelligence are big factors.

Mostly a person needs to be told they CAN be something. And given the backing to get there.

And have parents who will not say "I'll just let him be what he wants to be". That's a copout, AFAIC. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, but you do have to lead him to the water.

What I told my son was "when you get to be a dr you can be anything you want". The thing he chose just happened to be exactly what the family needed. But he had to have the interest. He was a guy who could study an organic chem book while watching TV. And he is color blind. I was told you couldn't be a dr if color blind, but that was nonsense. The benefit there is he can read a B & W sonogram like it was 3D.

I have every confidence gson will be a dr. I have some confidence another gson, 16yo, is headed that way. He hears what his doc uncle says, but he SEES what his uncle DRIVES. And my doc son's son is already planning it in 6th grade, by his own will.

Regards.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 11:04 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Happiness

LOL. JW: you often mention that your grandson will grow up to be doctor and atage 22? How can you be so sure this is going to happen?Our kids have a way of growing up and doing what they will.on 2/18/2005 11:51 AM, jwwright at jwwright@... wrote:> More importantly, I have a gson that will graduate med school at age 22 like> his uncle. So happiness is where you find it.> > Regards.

Being a multitalented person and delving often into too many things, I can aver the truth of that.

Now, if you and other experts can figure out a simple diet that fits everyone, and provides the best health, I won't have to keep working that problem. Like get the diabetes folks to reach a consensus on A diet.

Then I can get back to my road work (ha).

Regards.

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:08 AM

Subject: RE: [ ] Re: Happiness

For me, the more I simplify my life, the better it is and happier I amJeff

Not to disagree with MR.

Allow me to comment on the retirement from a "done that" position.

There's no such thing as permanent financial security. Times change and things get taken away, regardless how "rich" you are. We cannot depend on the stock market or gov't bond rates. Even the largest utility in N America can go bankrupt.

You realize you are trading your TIME for money now, ergo the desire to retire early, BUT by the time you retire, your kids will be grown. Not a bad goal, but also when you retire, you probably need some other activity to keep your interest. If you are driven enough to get and save the money to retire you will not be happy with being totally inactive.

Spend the time with the kids now, they'll be busy working or in college when you retire. Plan on working as long as you can, maybe shortening the work hours per week, or switching to a less active job - one you like better and can do forever.

My 80 yo bro still does prof engineering at home. He needs the work to keep him alive.

Regards.

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 11:13 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] Happiness

My biggest advantage in life has been my "disadvantaged" childhood.Learning to do things for myself and learning to do without things hashelped me immensely during my adulthood. And being happy with what I havenow and not always yearning for more is the best success a person can have.Didn't Budda say that material desire brings suffering?CRON is all about learning to do without. Of course in today's world doingwith less food is a conscious choice and not an indication of our level ofwealth.Maybe someone should develop a "material restriction" (MR) lifestyle or isthat minimalism. A deliberate choice to have less and want less. CRONmakes for a healthy body, maybe MR would make for a healthy mind and spirit?In all honesty I do hope that one day I will have more financial security.However, I want that not because I want more stuff but because I want moretime. I'd like to retire early so I can spend more time with my kids andpursue personal goals and hobbies. Selling my days to a large corporationis very demoralizing. Just my opinion; I don't mean to offend.Greg

• 2 years later...

It was a dark night of a rainy season. The sky was full of clouds. In between, the lightning produced thunder and shine. A young man was searching his way in the gleam of lightning. At last, he did reach the door of a hut where a very old beggar had been living for all his life. That old man had never gone out of that hut anywhere. And when somebody would ask him whether he had not seen the world at all he would say: "I have seen. it. I have seen it very well. Does not the world exist in the self?" I also know that old man. He is also sitting within me. Truly, he has never left his abode. He is there and is the same person where he has all along been and what he is.

I also know that young man very well; because I am also that young man. That young man kept standing on the stairs for some time. Then with a feeling of fear he slowly tapped the door. A voice asked from within: "Who is there? What are you searching for?" That young man said: "I do not know who I am.

But for several years, I have been wandering in search of happiness. I am searching for happiness and that search has brought me to your door". There was a laughter inside and the voice said: "How can he, who does not know even the self, find happiness? In that search, you cannot have darkness under the lamp. But even this knowledge that you do not know yourself is enough of knowledge; and therefore I open the door; but remember that with the opening of some one else's doors no doors actually open." Then the door opened. In the streak of lightning the young man saw the beggar standing before him. His glamour was unprecedented. But he was absolutely naked. In truth, beauty is always naked. Clothes come in only to cover ugliness. The young man sat down at his feet. He placed his head on the old man's feet and asked: "What is happiness? What is happiness?"

On hearing this the old man started laughing again and said: "My dear, happiness lies in independence. As soon as you are independent there is an overflow of happiness. Leave my feet, leave everybody's feet. You are searching for happiness in dependence on some one else. This is a folly. You are searching outside. This is a folly. In fact, you are searching for it. This itself is a folly. He who exists outside can be searched. How can he who exists within the self be searched? Give up all search and see.

It has all along been present within". Then that old man took out two fruits from his bag and said: "I give you these two fruits. They are very wonderful fruits. If you eat the first one you can understand what happiness is; and if you eat the other one, you can yourself be happy. But you can eat only one of them; because as soon as you eat the one, the other will disappear; and remember that if you eat the other fruit, it cannot be understood what happiness is. Now the choice lies with you. Say what is your choice?" That young man hesitated for a moment and then said: "I want to know the happiness first; because without knowing it how could it be found?"

That old beggar started laughing and said: "I can see why your search has become so long? This way, not only for years but for several lives, happiness cannot be found; because the search for the knowledge of happiness is not the achievement of happiness. Knowledge of happiness and experience of happiness are the two opposite poles. Knowledge of happiness is not happiness. On the contrary, that is the pain. To know happiness and not to be happy yourself is the real misery. For this reason alone, man is more miserable than plants, animals and birds. But ignorance is also not happiness. That is only a reflection of misery. Happiness lies in transgressing both knowledge and ignorance. Ignorance is unconsciousness of misery.

Knowledge is consciousness towards pain. Happiness is salvation from both knowledge and ignorance. The meaning of transgression of both knowledge and ignorance is salvation from the mind; and as soon as a person is free from the mind, he reverts to the self. That establishment in the self is happiness. That is salvation and that is also God.

• 1 month later...

NOTE: to see a theatrical preview of an upcoming film Dick is in, go to www.metaphysia.net / It will be released in 2008.

RADIO SHOW: Next week Dick and Carol , Ph.D. will talk about Radical Relationship Resources. Eighty-thousand people have now subscribed to have iTunes download “Dick Sutphen’s Metaphysical World†radio show into their iPods. Listen live at 11 AM on Wednesdays at www.contacttalkradio.com Archived shows are available anytime. Dick’s SEMINAR SCHEDULE at the end of this column.

Happiness

Happiness is an interesting trap.

“FLOW†author Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi says, “More than anything else, people seek happiness.†He then adds, “Happiness is sought for its own sake, but all our other goals -- health, beauty, money or power -- are valued because we expect they will make us happy.â€

In “The Path to Love,†Deepak Chopra says, “... happiness too often means a ‘pleasure response.’ But this means there must be a stimulus attached to it. “There can be no sense of security in your existence when it depends upon outside factors, for the unpredictable changes of reality can never be controlled.â€

So to be happy, we need to find a source of happiness beyond pleasure. Yet biochemists have proven that pleasure can release serotonin and beta-endorphins -- brain mind opiates that are chemically almost identical to opium. The more you release the happier you feel. And the opiates are addictive.

So is a pleasure stimulus to the brain the same as happiness? It feels that way. But the problem is a stimulus wears out. Deepak says, “Over time our responses weaken if the same stimulus keeps getting repeated. The taste that was once so sweet grows stale and cloying; the face that once enchanted becomes ordinary; the most exciting vision becomes just part of the scenery.

“It is all important to found our happiness upon a basis that doesn’t change.â€

In his book, “Actualizations,†Emery says, “We have the implicit belief in goals the same way we have the implicit belief in Santa Claus. It is the continuing saga of our addiction to form. We still firmly believe that something outside of ourselves is going to make us happy.â€

“If I get a million dollars, I’ll be happy.â€

“If I get a new car, then I’ll be happy.â€

“If I get a new job, then I’ll be happy.â€

“If I get straight A’s in school, then I’ll be happy.â€

“If I get my Ph.D., then I’ll be happy.â€

“If only __________, then I’ll be happy.†You fill in the blank.

“Goals have become part of that whole happiness-through-acquisition belief program that everybody has bought. It works this way: For most of us, life floats between terrible and bearable, but there is hope -- hope that life will be more bearable if we achieve a goal exterior to ourselves. As if the destination itself will have any effect upon the traveler.

“The fact is that goals do not deliver what we are asking and expecting them to deliver. That has become a source of disillusionment and dissatisfaction in our society. Every time we reach a goal, we have momentary feeling of elation (temporary well-being) followed by a sinking realization with what we said we wanted, but without the experience that getting what we said we wanted was going to bring us. Ripped off again.â€

It seems to me that happiness has to come from within as a result of what we do in life. If you go to www.dicksutphen.com and click on the “Books, Excerpts and Columns†button (fourth from the bottom) you will have an opportunity to choose “How To Fix Everything In Your Life At Once.†The chapters are actually the scripts from my old “25 Best Ways†CD series. Chapter 15 is “Create Happiness.â€

Almost all 25 suggestions need to be manifested from within. My favorite happiness suggestion is “Develop Detached Mind,†followed by “Accept that what is, is,†“Live in the present,†and “Choose a positive viewpoint.â€

"Dick Sutphen's Metaphysical World" airs on www.contacttalkradio.com 11 AM--12 Noon every Wednesday. Listen live or download an archive show. To visit Dick’s page at the site, click here: http://www.contacttalkradio.com/hosts/dicksutphen.htm / iPod and MP3 owners who would like to have the show downloaded: http://www.contacttalkradio.com/podcasts/Dick_Sutphen's_Meta physical_World.xml

PRIVATE SESSIONS: Dick is available for Private Sessions in Westlake Village, CA (Los Angeles area) and Lake Arrowhead, CA. Also a limited number of appointments while on the road. Upcoming: Vienna, WV, Columbus, OH, and Las Vegas, NV in January, 2008, San Pedro, CA in March, 2008. Additional cities to be added.

2007-2008 SUTPHEN SEMINARS & APPEARANCES:

Nov. 28-Dec. 2: Vienna, WV. Dick Sutphen’s classic 5-Day PROFESSIONAL HYPNOSIS CERTIFICATION TRAINING, including Past-Life Therapy and Spirit-Contact Therapy instruction. Vienna is a short drive from Columbus, OH. Location: The Self-Health & Awareness Center. www.selfhealthandawarenesscenter.com / deborahlindsey@...

Dec. 1: Vienna, WV, “The Shift†-- one evening workshop -- Vienna is a short drive from Columbus, OH. Location: The Self-Health & Awareness Center. www.selfhealthandawarenesscenter.com / deborahlindsey@...

Jan. 25-27, 2008: Las Vegas, NV -- THE AMERICAN BOARD OF HYPNOTHERAPY CONVENTION. Dick is president of the organization and more information will be released soon.

Mar. 3-9, 2008: San Pedro, CA -- THE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF HYPNOSIS CONFERENCE. More information soon.

Apr. 18-20, 2008: Sedona, AZ -- Sutphen Seminar (title to be announced). Location: The Sedona Creative Life Center.

Sept. 26-28, 2008: Sedona, AZ -- Sutphen Seminar (title to be announced) Location: The Sedona Creative Life Center.

Many additional dates to be announced soon.

Astrology charts, geographic location charts and special computerized charts and reports to help you create your own reality are available by clicking here.

E-MAIL LIST

To be included on Dick Sutphen’s Master of Life Column e-mail list, click HERE and in the SUBJECT slot type “Subscribe.

NOTE: To ensure the successful delivery of this newsletter to your inbox, if you have spam e-mail filtering, please add: admin@... to your email list, safe list, whitelist or address book.

[Home] | [New Additions] | [ProHypnosis.com] | [Personal Notebook] | [sutphen Seminars] | [soaring Spirit Online] | [CDs & Tapes] | [Astrology Charts] | [Abenda Channeling] | [Dick Sutphen Articles] | [Dick & Tara Sutphen Bio] | [Visitor Center] | [books, Excerpts & Stories]

All material copyright © 2007 by The Sutphen Corporation

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Sherry,

I think you are right. Keep being happy. Maybe it'll rub off on him.

Probably not, but keep up the good work. Wish I knew where my old therapist

went, I'd send her to you. Sounds like you are doing great, though. There aren't

many good ones. She was better than good and so was the dr she was under.

Take care,

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Grace,

I am happy too! Actually I just read that hapiness is not linked to

illness/health, it is linked to whether you have a good social life or not. They

interviewed handicapped and sick people, and also healthy individuals and the

most happy ones were the people with a good social life, healthy and sick alike.

The most unhappy ones were those who lived alone. Also I liked the last

sentence: " People try to be successful, but this is not the same is being

happy " . I thought it was, previously, so this really opened my eyes.

Unfortunatelly the article is in Swedish...

Beata