RemedySpot.com

Re: How Common Is Lactose Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

With the 7-15% of white Americans, I wonder how that further breaks down by area? Is the percentage higher across areas like California, where many people are of Hispanic descent, than in the east where many are European in origin? I am right in thinking, yes, that the eastern states were colonised mainly by British, French, Irish immigrants? All Northern European, where the rate of lactose intolerance is the lowest in the world.

I find stuff like that really fascinating, looking at it from a global perspective. Thinks like the variation in frequency of different blook groups. Here, I have the least common blood group (AB-), as only 1 in every 200 British people have that (or 1 in every 100, depending on which source you look at). Yet in other areas, it may well be much higher, or lower. If, for example, I needed a blood transfusion in China, they would probably have to give me a compatible blood type rather than my own. The most common group here is O, but in Scandinavia it is A. Jenn

Tha can tek t'lass outta Yorkshire...!

Don't brand me, don't classify me, don't tell me what to wear. I'll be who I want to be, and I'm proud to be me.

Subject: How Common Is Lactose Intolerance?To: asthma Date: Sunday, 23 November, 2008, 3:30 PM

How Common Is Lactose Intolerance?

More than 50 million Americans are lactose intolerant.

Nearly two-thirds of the world's adult population has some degree of

difficulty with digestion of milk sugar because of a lactase

deficiency -

97-100% of African Blacks

90-100% of Asians

70-75% of North American Blacks

70-80% of Mexicans

60-90% of Mediterraneans

60-80% of Jewish descent

10-12% of Middle Europeans

7-15% of North American Caucasians

1-5% of Northern Europeans