RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: environmental toxins--clothes?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Please forgive if this has been mentioned as I have not read every email. But what I would like to know is why is it so all fired important to make pjs flame resistant and not day clothes????? Not I get yesteryear when everybody and his niece stood with their back sides to gas heaters and fire places in the evening when it was nippy. But today most folks have central or electric heat that is usually not near the child. And if there is a floor heater then it is usually there durring the day to. So what is the big deal about making just pjs flame retardant??? And to be clear I would that we would have 100% cotton with nothing added. If Ihad my way we would be a world of organic everything.Susie ~Jeanie Ward wrote: It has to state it on the tag, and there's a very good reason they have to have it printed on the tag.............the worst part about it is, they put Dora the Explorer and Tinkerbell charecters on this clothing just like what we saw with the cereal boxes etc. Alway's buy 100% cotton, it will state that this garmet has been treated with flame retardant on the tag. The reason they make tight fitting is because if there's a fire, it would reduce the amout of oxygen and wouldn't be so flamable, but show me a pair of jammies that ever saved a life in a fire..............littlelief <littleliefhotmail> wrote: I haven't tried replacing the kids clothes, but do try to get cottonas much as possible. My only question is - how do we know what istreated with flame-retardant and not? Is it just PJ's or is it otherkids (esp baby) clothes? I know I've seen tags on some PJs that saysomething like:Pajamas should be either tight fitting or flame-retardant, thisgarment is designed to be tight fighting. (which I assume to mean noflame retardant)But, are they required to disclose if something is treated with flameretardant?Also, Bonnie, this may be something you've already done, but using thedye-free and fragrance-free biodegradable laundry soaps and no fabricsoftener can help with skin irritation (e.g., eczema) - not sure ifthis would help with sensory issues though....? Any thoughts on how we know whether or not a

garment is treated withflame-retardants (or other chemicals)?TIA,>> Someone mentioned flame-retardant pajamas--this jogged my memory about> something else. Those of you who have kids with sensory/tactileissues, do> you find that the sensory problems improve if your kids wear clotheswith> only natural fibers, like 100% cotton or hemp? It just occurred to me> recently that maybe I should look at what my DD is wearing and thinkabout> replacing some of her clothes--she wears a lot of polyester or> cotton/polyester blends (we do a lot of shopping at Target...). Ihave some> of the same issues and have been finding that cotton feels so muchbetter> against my skin, even when it's just cotton sheets. It would beexpensive

to> replace her whole wardrobe, but maybe I should try just a few thingsand see> if it makes a difference...> > Bonnie> Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

The big deal about flame retardant Pj's is because they know that most house fires start at night, wheter it's unattended space heaters, late night smokers, or whatever the cause, the point that people are sleeping and don't usually identifiy it until it's too late because they are sleeping. There are cases reported, where the flame retardant pj's have minimized the burns, if they had not been wearing them but risk of placing your child in toxic flame sprayed clothes every or any night, far outweighs the risk of the a house fire. As of 2008 they just made fire safety cigarettes mandatory in IL, they go out if unattended, they made the paper thicker and use corser tobacco, to help with the problem of house fires, They are suppose to have higher levels of toxins, and they are making people sick, They don't do anything about the alchohol that causes them to fall asleep with the cigarette, and alcohol kill's how many people each year, they change every responsible smokers

cigarette's instead................It's the people that surround the children that cause most house fires. It was also a great marketing statagie to sell Pj's that will "save your child" at least that's what they make you think!! Unfortunately, our children are subjected to all kinds of things that parents are exposing them to, including the grass they are playing on.............Take away the alcohol and I guarantee you'll have less house fire's.................Ooop! sorry, that's makes too much money, just drink responsible! Susie wrote: Please forgive if this has been mentioned as I have not read every email. But what I would like to know is why is it so all fired important to make pjs flame resistant and not day clothes????? Not I get yesteryear when everybody and his niece stood with their back sides to gas heaters and fire places in the evening when it was nippy. But today most folks have central or electric heat that is usually not near the child. And if there is a floor heater then it is usually there durring the day to. So what is the big deal about making just pjs flame retardant??? And to be clear I would that we would have 100% cotton with nothing added. If Ihad my way we would be a world of organic everything.Susie ~Jeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: It has to state it on the tag, and there's a very good reason they have to have it printed on the tag.............the worst part about it is, they put Dora the Explorer and Tinkerbell charecters on this clothing just like what we saw with the cereal boxes etc. Alway's buy 100% cotton, it will state that this garmet has been treated with flame retardant on the tag. The reason they make tight fitting is because if there's a fire, it would reduce the amout of oxygen and wouldn't be so flamable, but show me a pair of jammies that ever saved a life in a fire..............littlelief <littleliefhotmail> wrote: I haven't tried replacing the kids clothes, but do try to get cottonas much as possible. My only question is -

how do we know what istreated with flame-retardant and not? Is it just PJ's or is it otherkids (esp baby) clothes? I know I've seen tags on some PJs that saysomething like:Pajamas should be either tight fitting or flame-retardant, thisgarment is designed to be tight fighting. (which I assume to mean noflame retardant)But, are they required to disclose if something is treated with flameretardant?Also, Bonnie, this may be something you've already done, but using thedye-free and fragrance-free biodegradable laundry soaps and no fabricsoftener can help with skin irritation (e.g., eczema) - not sure ifthis would help with sensory issues though....? Any thoughts on how we know whether or not a garment is treated withflame-retardants (or other chemicals)?TIA,>> Someone mentioned flame-retardant pajamas--this jogged my memory about> something else. Those of you who have kids with sensory/tactileissues, do> you find that the sensory problems improve if your kids wear clotheswith> only natural fibers, like 100% cotton or hemp? It just occurred to me> recently that maybe I should look at what my DD is wearing and thinkabout> replacing some of her clothes--she wears a lot of polyester or> cotton/polyester blends (we do a lot of shopping at Target...). Ihave some> of the same issues and have been finding that cotton feels so muchbetter> against my skin, even when it's just cotton sheets. It would beexpensive to> replace her whole wardrobe, but maybe I should try just a few thingsand see> if it makes a difference...> > Bonnie> Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

So in the end, like everything else, it's about control and/or money. Doesen't matter if it makes since or if it kills. In the world of a Dr. that I truly admire (cuz he is not for modern meds all the way and he is for truth), "We live in a world gone mad." Susie ~Jeanie Ward wrote: The big deal about flame retardant Pj's is because they know that most house fires start at night, wheter it's unattended space heaters, late night smokers, or whatever the cause, the point that people are sleeping and don't usually

identifiy it until it's too late because they are sleeping. There are cases reported, where the flame retardant pj's have minimized the burns, if they had not been wearing them but risk of placing your child in toxic flame sprayed clothes every or any night, far outweighs the risk of the a house fire. As of 2008 they just made fire safety cigarettes mandatory in IL, they go out if unattended, they made the paper thicker and use corser tobacco, to help with the problem of house fires, They are suppose to have higher levels of toxins, and they are making people sick, They don't do anything about the alchohol that causes them to fall asleep with the cigarette, and alcohol kill's how many people each year, they change every responsible smokers cigarette's instead................It's the people that surround the children that cause most house fires. It was also a great marketing statagie to sell Pj's that will "save your child" at least that's what they make you

think!! Unfortunately, our children are subjected to all kinds of things that parents are exposing them to, including the grass they are playing on.............Take away the alcohol and I guarantee you'll have less house fire's.................Ooop! sorry, that's makes too much money, just drink responsible! Susie <hsmommie> wrote: Please forgive if this has been mentioned as I have not read every email. But what I would like to know is why is it so all fired important to make pjs flame resistant and not day clothes????? Not I get yesteryear when everybody and his niece stood with their back sides to gas heaters and fire places in the evening when it was nippy.

But today most folks have central or electric heat that is usually not near the child. And if there is a floor heater then it is usually there durring the day to. So what is the big deal about making just pjs flame retardant??? And to be clear I would that we would have 100% cotton with nothing added. If Ihad my way we would be a world of organic everything.Susie ~Jeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: It has to state it on the tag, and there's a very good reason they have to have it printed on the tag.............the worst part about it is, they put Dora the Explorer and Tinkerbell charecters on this clothing just like what we saw with the cereal boxes etc. Alway's buy 100% cotton, it will state that this garmet has been treated with flame retardant on the tag. The reason they make tight fitting

is because if there's a fire, it would reduce the amout of oxygen and wouldn't be so flamable, but show me a pair of jammies that ever saved a life in a fire..............littlelief <littleliefhotmail> wrote: I haven't tried replacing the kids clothes, but do try to get cottonas much as possible. My only question is - how do we know what istreated with flame-retardant and not? Is it just PJ's or is it otherkids (esp baby) clothes? I know I've seen tags on some PJs that saysomething like:Pajamas should be either tight fitting or flame-retardant, thisgarment is designed to be tight fighting. (which I assume to mean noflame retardant)But, are they required to disclose if something is treated with flameretardant?Also, Bonnie, this may be something you've already done, but

using thedye-free and fragrance-free biodegradable laundry soaps and no fabricsoftener can help with skin irritation (e.g., eczema) - not sure ifthis would help with sensory issues though....? Any thoughts on how we know whether or not a garment is treated withflame-retardants (or other chemicals)?TIA,>> Someone mentioned flame-retardant pajamas--this jogged my memory about> something else. Those of you who have kids with sensory/tactileissues, do> you find that the sensory problems improve if your kids wear clotheswith> only natural fibers, like 100% cotton or hemp? It just occurred to me> recently that maybe I should look at what my DD is wearing and thinkabout> replacing some of her clothes--she wears a lot of polyester

or> cotton/polyester blends (we do a lot of shopping at Target...). Ihave some> of the same issues and have been finding that cotton feels so muchbetter> against my skin, even when it's just cotton sheets. It would beexpensive to> replace her whole wardrobe, but maybe I should try just a few thingsand see> if it makes a difference...> > Bonnie> Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.