RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Food IgG Panel results/IEP services

Rate this topic

Guest guest

As a special ed teacher, I can tell you the school will provide you with a "potty assistant" if she qualifies for something called "OHI" or if she qualifies based on academic need (for an IEP). However, it's incredibly tricky and difficult to get kids qualified on academic need when they're so young (unless there's an obvious delay). If she's a smartie and doing relatively well compared to her peers, you're better bet is OHI ("other health impairment"). Kids can qualify for this label (and, yes, it's a label that will be on her permanent record) based on medical need - if her physical symptoms interfere with her learning ability, she qualifies. For instance, several kids I know (in my building), have food allergies that are severe enough that they qualify...nevermind they could change their diet (no one looks at that), they get services. So, I don't know if you're working with a doctor (doesn't need to be a traditional med doctor, it just needs to be someone with a Dr. in front of their name - we often use our chiro), but that person could be a huge advocate for her services, if you choose this route. On a personal note, we used this route for our son during his early school years - I talked the school out of an IEP (didn't want the permanent label), but we had everything else - including the bathroom assistance. We used the school nurse who helped him regulate his needs. We had butt wipes, extra pull-ups, diapers, underwear and clothes for him at school. The teacher was aware of his needs, I taught her what to look for behaviorally that would indicate his bathroom needs and we all worked together. Now, he's in 4th grade, we continue to work with the classroom teacher, but he's a lot more aware of his needs, so we've backed of school services a little. It was a lot of work, frustration and some tears, but it was my son and it's a public school. I was adamant they would provide for him based on HIS needs, not based on other kids.

Best of luck!! :)

Oh, p.s...I would suggest registering her, regardless of what she may be like in the fall. You can always "unregister" if you decide to homeschool (which is what I totally wanted to do, but we could not afford it).

~ Tracie

Re: Re: Food IgG Panel results

Our dd was gfcf for over a year and could never make any progress, only became worse. Our DAN never suggested a food sensitivity panel. When we finally had it done, we discovered that she had not only a sensitivity to rice which in in everything gfcf, but also had a true allergy to it. This was including the gluten, casein, soy, peanuts, etc. etc. We made the change to the SC diet and it was a true miracle for us. Of course, our dd did not have the CBS upregulation which can be a real issue for ammonia problems with a diet high in protein. After 3 years on the diet, her gut is completely healed with no sensitivities, only true allergies. She does not eat any gluten, casein, soy, or rice products, however, she does eat many carbs which she could not tolerate earlier. She also had so many sensory issues at that time. We could not go to the mall, through a car wash, places where babies might cry, could not walk on the tile, wear certain clothing, etc. I believe that the diet and a combination of OT and PT really made the difference. She no longer has any sensory problems and has no need of those services today. She can ride a 2 wheel bike, a scooter, play soccer, etc. She went from no speech to being completely conversational. I cannot say what was responsible for all the changes (she was a Miralax kid also), but I know the diet was the one thing that made all the others possible. She was on Miralax for over a year. I cannot believe that I did not look into what the ingredients of that product were. I have learned a lot since that time.

CW Bonnie Juettner <bjuettnergmail> wrote:

Thanks, LeeAnn and Angi and --I have been thinking about looking into the IEP idea. I had been envisioning her in a regular class but with an IEP, though (what happens to the curriculum when kids are lumped together based on their sensory needs? I wouldn't want to see their academic needs get lost in the shuffle--not that I have any reason, I guess, to think that would happen) and couldn't quite imagine what I was supposed to ask for in an IEP, especially with the potty training. Would the school district really provide her with a potty assistant? The sensory issues I truly believe will be much better with a structured environment. She is seeing an occupational therapist, 100% covered by insurance (thank goodness!). Too, it's hard to say how she'll be in Sept. I think we are getting some mercury out of her. What seems to be happening is that she's suddenly doing harder work at preschool than before, yet also is more constipated and has more sensory issues. I *think* the mercury is leaving her brain, trying to be excreted via her intestines, but also getting stuck and partially reabsorbed there. Somewhere I read that we heal from the head down...I'm hoping that's what is currently happening to her and that, consequently, we might be seeing some really good improvements in a few months. The aggravating thing is that we may have to register her for school before we really know how she'll be doing in the fall. Bonnie

bonnie,your girl sounds like my 4 year old - very strong sensory issue problems - right now she is in a early education program 3 hour a day preschool that the school district pays for. (early intervention) It has helped her a lot. Also she see's a private occupational therapist for sensory issues. For a while we could not afford the $160 an hour for the private OT - but we got a grant from UnitedHealthCare - they have children's grants for anyone who qualifies....my dd got $5000 for this years OT treatments....amazing help for us. You can google unitedhealthcare children's foundation and apply online I think. I have no idea if you need it or are interested, I though I would just throw it out there.

mommtlc wrote:

Bonnie --I'd look into the Childfind system. To date my son only has a sensory and devel delay diagnosis -- and he has a full IEP and services. He's in a developmental kindergarten with 11 boys, 1 girl, 1 special ed teacher and 2 aids. This year was the best fit -- all sensory kids, only one with behavior issues.> > >> > > > Hi all,> > > > Apologies ahead of time - this is LONG. I'm overwhelmed right now.> > > >> > > > We just got my DS's IgG test results back today. He reacted to 28> > > > different foods as "positive" for food "allergy." Basically,> > > > confirmed my suspicion of leaky gut. (and despite my supplementing him> > > > with probiotics, there's apparently no colonization because his stool> > > > cultures were negative - no good bacteria - but thankfully no bad> > > > bacteria either!)> > > >> > > > One thing that I am not surprised by, but am disappointed in (because> > > > it is going to be so much work) is that he is highly reactive to> > > > gluten containing foods [wheat +3, rye +2, barely +2, oat +2 (not sure> > > > if this is because we don't use gluten-free oats or if it's because he> > > > has an issue with oat)]. The worst part is that he is also reactive> > > > to rice (+1)and corn (+1) which are two of the easy gluten-free> > > > alternatives...(also had a score of 85 on the gliaden test, with> > > > anything over 30 being a strongly positive reaction).> > > >> > > > She reiterated that many of her patients see dramatic improvement with> > > > constipation by just going GF/CF. We've been CF for a while, but have> > > > been dreading the GF. Easing up on gluten did seem to help some, but> > > > I'll let you all know if there's drastic improvement with eliminating> > > > gluten. At least with test results I can (hopefully) get DH on board.> > > >> > > > I have two questions & hope for input:> > > > 1) Our doc suggested we avoid all reactive foods for a year, but> > > > could do rotation with the +1 foods if needed. I wonder, though,> > > > if anyone else has done this IgG panel and if they have any comment on> > > > the relevance of the +1 foods....Do we stand a better chance of> > > > healing his leaky gut if we do totally avoid all 28 foods stringently> > > > or will rotating the +1's not alter the chances of healing the gut?> > > >> > > > 2) Doc recommended a bovine (cow) immunoglobulin supplement to help> > > > with the leaky gut. I am not a fan of the idea of giving him bovine> > > > immunoglobulin. Stick with me (if you're still reading) - some swear> > > > that raw cow's milk healed their leaky gut. If purified bovine> > > > immunoglobin supplements are helping with healing leaky guts, then> > > > perhaps this is one of the components of raw milk that helps heal> > > > leaky guts. We know that human breast milk has tons of immunoglobins> > > > and immune factors. So, shouldn't human breast milk (a 'raw' milk) be> > > > effective as well? Since I'm still BF'ing my 1 year old, I could pump> > > > and and try giving my 3 yr old breast milk - wouldn't this have the> > > > same effect (or better) as raw cow's milk? Has anyone heard of making> > > > yogurt with human breastmilk? If I can get probiotics into him in> > > > breastmilk yogurt, I'd be getting two supp's in at once..... Am I> > crazy?> > > >> > > > Please don't think I'm totally insane - I just want to heal his gut> > > > and thought if I can do it with the help of my breastmilk instead of> > > > another supplement, all the better....> > > >> > > > THANK YOU for "listening" and for any thoughts/comments.> > > >> > > > Best,> > > > > > > >> > > > p.s. - She recommends fermented veggies and cocobiotic (body ecology).> > > > He's reactive (+1) to coconut, so I'm not sure if we'll try> > > > cocobiotic, but I've read great things about it at another board. I> > > > have long been considering making my own fermented veggies - so now I> > > > have the motivation to give it a try - just need to learn how -> > > > anybody doing this already?> > > >> > > > p.p.s. - surprised to find they couldn't culture yeast from his stool,> > > > but I still feel strongly that he has yeast symptoms (even the doc> > > > confirmed at our first appointment that the rash and pimples on his> > > > bottom are typically tell-tale signs of yeast). any thoughts?> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

Our son has the medical IEP! We find there is a lot more help/exceptions with this route also! He even has unlimited absences! I understand what you mean about the label issue... we fought this for years with my older son who was thought to be ADHD(younger son is obvious and he needs the labels), we never allowed it to be in his(older son) records but was still able to get some intervention. Years later, they even went so far as to say, we think you was write and he is not ADHD!! Thank goodness we didnt let this take permanent record and specifically the meds they kept wanting us to put him on. He is still full of spunk and can drive the teachers nuts, but with age has calmed down!! That spunk has made him a top athlete at school,... if he could just keep the grades up:) Jennie wrote: As a special ed teacher, I can tell you the school will provide you with a "potty assistant" if she qualifies for something called "OHI" or if she qualifies based on academic need (for an IEP). However, it's incredibly tricky and difficult to get kids qualified on academic need when they're so young (unless there's an obvious delay). If she's a smartie and doing relatively well compared to her peers, you're better bet is OHI ("other health impairment"). Kids can qualify for this label (and, yes, it's a label that will be on her permanent record) based on medical need - if her physical symptoms interfere with her learning

ability, she qualifies. For instance, several kids I know (in my building), have food allergies that are severe enough that they qualify...nevermind they could change their diet (no one looks at that), they get services. So, I don't know if you're working with a doctor (doesn't need to be a traditional med doctor, it just needs to be someone with a Dr. in front of their name - we often use our chiro), but that person could be a huge advocate for her services, if you choose this route. On a personal note, we used this route for our son during his early school years - I talked the school out of an IEP (didn't want the permanent label), but we had everything else - including the bathroom assistance. We used the school nurse who helped him regulate his needs. We had butt wipes, extra pull-ups, diapers, underwear and clothes for him at school. The teacher was aware of his needs, I taught her what to look for behaviorally that would indicate his bathroom needs and we all

worked together. Now, he's in 4th grade, we continue to work with the classroom teacher, but he's a lot more aware of his needs, so we've backed of school services a little. It was a lot of work, frustration and some tears, but it was my son and it's a public school. I was adamant they would provide for him based on HIS needs, not based on other kids. Best of luck!! :) Oh, p.s...I would suggest registering her, regardless of what she may be like in the fall. You can always "unregister" if you decide to homeschool (which is what I totally wanted to do, but we could not afford it). ~ Tracie Re: Re: Food IgG Panel results Our dd was gfcf for over a year and could never make any progress, only became worse. Our DAN never suggested a food sensitivity panel. When we finally had it done, we discovered that she had not only a sensitivity to rice which in in everything gfcf, but also had a true allergy to it. This was including the gluten, casein, soy, peanuts, etc. etc. We made the change to the SC diet and it was a true miracle for us. Of course, our dd did not have the CBS upregulation

which can be a real issue for ammonia problems with a diet high in protein. After 3 years on the diet, her gut is completely healed with no sensitivities, only true allergies. She does not eat any gluten, casein, soy, or rice products, however, she does eat many carbs which she could not tolerate earlier. She also had so many sensory issues at that time. We could not go to the mall, through a car wash, places where babies might cry, could not walk on the tile, wear certain clothing, etc. I believe that the diet and a combination of OT and PT really made the difference. She no longer has any sensory problems and has no need of those services today. She can ride a 2 wheel bike, a scooter, play soccer, etc. She went from no speech to being completely conversational. I cannot say what was responsible for all the changes (she was a Miralax kid also), but I know the diet was the one thing that made all the others

possible. She was on Miralax for over a year. I cannot believe that I did not look into what the ingredients of that product were. I have learned a lot since that time. CW Bonnie Juettner <bjuettnergmail> wrote: Thanks, LeeAnn and Angi and --I have been thinking about looking into the IEP idea. I had been envisioning her in a regular class but with an IEP, though (what happens to the curriculum when kids are lumped together based on their sensory needs? I wouldn't want to see their academic needs get lost in the shuffle--not that I have any reason, I guess, to think that would happen) and couldn't quite imagine what I was supposed to ask for in an IEP, especially with the potty training. Would the school district really provide her with a potty assistant? The sensory issues I truly

believe will be much better with a structured environment. She is seeing an occupational therapist, 100% covered by insurance (thank goodness!). Too, it's hard to say how she'll be in Sept. I think we are getting some mercury out of her. What seems to be happening is that she's suddenly doing harder work at preschool than before, yet also is more constipated and has more sensory issues. I *think* the mercury is leaving her brain, trying to be excreted via her intestines, but also getting stuck and partially reabsorbed there. Somewhere I read that we heal from the head down...I'm hoping that's what is currently happening to her and that, consequently, we might be seeing some really good improvements in a few months. The aggravating thing is that we may have to register her for school before we really know how she'll be doing in the fall. Bonnie bonnie,your girl sounds like my 4 year old - very strong sensory issue problems - right now she is in a early education program 3 hour a day preschool that the school district pays for. (early intervention) It has helped her a lot. Also she see's a private occupational therapist for sensory issues. For a while we could not afford the $160 an hour for the private OT - but we got a grant from UnitedHealthCare - they have children's grants for anyone who qualifies....my dd got $5000 for this years OT treatments....amazing help for us. You can google unitedhealthcare children's foundation and apply online I think. I have no idea if you need it or are interested, I though I would

just throw it out there. mommtlc wrote: Bonnie --I'd look into the Childfind system. To date my son only has a sensory and devel delay diagnosis -- and he has a full IEP and services. He's in a developmental kindergarten with 11 boys, 1 girl, 1 special ed teacher and 2 aids. This year was the best fit -- all sensory kids, only one with behavior issues.> > >> > > > Hi all,> > > > Apologies ahead of time - this is LONG. I'm overwhelmed right now.> > > >> > > > We just got my DS's IgG test results back today. He reacted to 28> > > > different foods as "positive" for food "allergy." Basically,> > > > confirmed my suspicion of leaky gut. (and despite my supplementing him> > > > with probiotics, there's apparently no colonization

because his stool> > > > cultures were negative - no good bacteria - but thankfully no bad> > > > bacteria either!)> > > >> > > > One thing that I am not surprised by, but am disappointed in (because> > > > it is going to be so much work) is that he is highly reactive to> > > > gluten containing foods [wheat +3, rye +2, barely +2, oat +2 (not sure> > > > if this is because we don't use gluten-free oats or if it's because he> > > > has an issue with oat)]. The worst part is that he is also reactive> > > > to rice (+1)and corn (+1) which are two of the easy gluten-free> > > > alternatives...(also had a score of 85 on the gliaden test, with> > > > anything over 30 being a strongly positive reaction).> > > >> > > > She reiterated

that many of her patients see dramatic improvement with> > > > constipation by just going GF/CF. We've been CF for a while, but have> > > > been dreading the GF. Easing up on gluten did seem to help some, but> > > > I'll let you all know if there's drastic improvement with eliminating> > > > gluten. At least with test results I can (hopefully) get DH on board.> > > >> > > > I have two questions & hope for input:> > > > 1) Our doc suggested we avoid all reactive foods for a year, but> > > > could do rotation with the +1 foods if needed. I wonder, though,> > > > if anyone else has done this IgG panel and if they have any comment on> > > > the relevance of the +1 foods....Do we stand a better chance of> > > > healing his leaky gut if we do totally avoid all 28

foods stringently> > > > or will rotating the +1's not alter the chances of healing the gut?> > > >> > > > 2) Doc recommended a bovine (cow) immunoglobulin supplement to help> > > > with the leaky gut. I am not a fan of the idea of giving him bovine> > > > immunoglobulin. Stick with me (if you're still reading) - some swear> > > > that raw cow's milk healed their leaky gut. If purified bovine> > > > immunoglobin supplements are helping with healing leaky guts, then> > > > perhaps this is one of the components of raw milk that helps heal> > > > leaky guts. We know that human breast milk has tons of immunoglobins> > > > and immune factors. So, shouldn't human breast milk (a 'raw' milk) be> > > > effective as well? Since I'm still BF'ing my 1 year old, I could

pump> > > > and and try giving my 3 yr old breast milk - wouldn't this have the> > > > same effect (or better) as raw cow's milk? Has anyone heard of making> > > > yogurt with human breastmilk? If I can get probiotics into him in> > > > breastmilk yogurt, I'd be getting two supp's in at once..... Am I> > crazy?> > > >> > > > Please don't think I'm totally insane - I just want to heal his gut> > > > and thought if I can do it with the help of my breastmilk instead of> > > > another supplement, all the better....> > > >> > > > THANK YOU for "listening" and for any thoughts/comments.> > > >> > > > Best,> > > > > > > >> > > > p.s. - She recommends fermented veggies and cocobiotic (body

ecology).> > > > He's reactive (+1) to coconut, so I'm not sure if we'll try> > > > cocobiotic, but I've read great things about it at another board. I> > > > have long been considering making my own fermented veggies - so now I> > > > have the motivation to give it a try - just need to learn how -> > > > anybody doing this already?> > > >> > > > p.p.s. - surprised to find they couldn't culture yeast from his stool,> > > > but I still feel strongly that he has yeast symptoms (even the doc> > > > confirmed at our first appointment that the rash and pimples on his> > > > bottom are typically tell-tale signs of yeast). any thoughts?> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > >

>>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Thanks, Tracie, this is really good to know. But...why does it matter (sorry if this is a really naive question) what her permanent record says? I mean, if she ever runs for president, I suppose her opponent could dig up her old school records and say, " ha! when you were in kindergarten, you needed an IEP! " But are there other reasons to worry about the permanent record?

Bonnie

As a special ed teacher, I can tell you the school will provide you with a " potty assistant " if she qualifies for something called " OHI " or if she qualifies based on academic need (for an IEP). However, it's incredibly tricky and difficult to get kids qualified on academic need when they're so young (unless there's an obvious delay). If she's a smartie and doing relatively well compared to her peers, you're better bet is OHI ( " other health impairment " ). Kids can qualify for this label (and, yes, it's a label that will be on her permanent record) based on medical need - if her physical symptoms interfere with her learning ability, she qualifies. For instance, several kids I know (in my building), have food allergies that are severe enough that they qualify...nevermind they could change their diet (no one looks at that), they get services. So, I don't know if you're working with a doctor (doesn't need to be a traditional med doctor, it just needs to be someone with a Dr. in front of their name - we often use our chiro), but that person could be a huge advocate for her services, if you choose this route. On a personal note, we used this route for our son during his early school years - I talked the school out of an IEP (didn't want the permanent label), but we had everything else - including the bathroom assistance. We used the school nurse who helped him regulate his needs. We had butt wipes, extra pull-ups, diapers, underwear and clothes for him at school. The teacher was aware of his needs, I taught her what to look for behaviorally that would indicate his bathroom needs and we all worked together. Now, he's in 4th grade, we continue to work with the classroom teacher, but he's a lot more aware of his needs, so we've backed of school services a little. It was a lot of work, frustration and some tears, but it was my son and it's a public school. I was adamant they would provide for him based on HIS needs, not based on other kids.

Oh, p.s...I would suggest registering her, regardless of what she may be like in the fall. You can always " unregister " if you decide to homeschool (which is what I totally wanted to do, but we could not afford it).

~ Tracie

Our dd was gfcf for over a year and could never make any progress, only became worse. Our DAN never suggested a food sensitivity panel. When we finally had it done, we discovered that she had not only a sensitivity to rice which in in everything gfcf, but also had a true allergy to it. This was including the gluten, casein, soy, peanuts, etc. etc. We made the change to the SC diet and it was a true miracle for us. Of course, our dd did not have the CBS upregulation which can be a real issue for ammonia problems with a diet high in protein. After 3 years on the diet, her gut is completely healed with no sensitivities, only true allergies. She does not eat any gluten, casein, soy, or rice products, however, she does eat many carbs which she could not tolerate earlier. She also had so many sensory issues at that time. We could not go to the mall, through a car wash, places where babies might cry, could not walk on the tile, wear certain clothing, etc. I believe that the diet and a combination of OT and PT really made the difference. She no longer has any sensory problems and has no need of those services today. She can ride a 2 wheel bike, a scooter, play soccer, etc. She went from no speech to being completely conversational. I cannot say what was responsible for all the changes (she was a Miralax kid also), but I know the diet was the one thing that made all the others possible. She was on Miralax for over a year. I cannot believe that I did not look into what the ingredients of that product were. I have learned a lot since that time.

CW Bonnie Juettner wrote:

Thanks, LeeAnn and Angi and --I have been thinking about looking into the IEP idea. I had been envisioning her in a regular class but with an IEP, though (what happens to the curriculum when kids are lumped together based on their sensory needs? I wouldn't want to see their academic needs get lost in the shuffle--not that I have any reason, I guess, to think that would happen) and couldn't quite imagine what I was supposed to ask for in an IEP, especially with the potty training. Would the school district really provide her with a potty assistant? The sensory issues I truly believe will be much better with a structured environment. She is seeing an occupational therapist, 100% covered by insurance (thank goodness!). Too, it's hard to say how she'll be in Sept. I think we are getting some mercury out of her. What seems to be happening is that she's suddenly doing harder work at preschool than before, yet also is more constipated and has more sensory issues. I *think* the mercury is leaving her brain, trying to be excreted via her intestines, but also getting stuck and partially reabsorbed there. Somewhere I read that we heal from the head down...I'm hoping that's what is currently happening to her and that, consequently, we might be seeing some really good improvements in a few months. The aggravating thing is that we may have to register her for school before we really know how she'll be doing in the fall. Bonnie

bonnie,your girl sounds like my 4 year old - very strong sensory issue problems - right now she is in a early education program 3 hour a day preschool that the school district pays for. (early intervention) It has helped her a lot. Also she see's a private occupational therapist for sensory issues. For a while we could not afford the $160 an hour for the private OT - but we got a grant from UnitedHealthCare - they have children's grants for anyone who qualifies....my dd got $5000 for this years OT treatments....amazing help for us. You can google unitedhealthcare children's foundation and apply online I think. I have no idea if you need it or are interested, I though I would just throw it out there.

mommtlc wrote:

Bonnie --I'd look into the Childfind system. To date my son only has a sensory and devel delay diagnosis -- and he has a full IEP and services. He's in a developmental kindergarten with 11 boys, 1 girl, 1 special ed teacher and 2 aids. This year was the best fit -- all sensory kids, only one with behavior issues.> > >> > > > Hi all,> > > > Apologies ahead of time - this is LONG. I'm overwhelmed right now.> > > >> > > > We just got my DS's IgG test results back today. He reacted to 28> > > > different foods as " positive " for food " allergy. " Basically,> > > > confirmed my suspicion of leaky gut. (and despite my supplementing him> > > > with probiotics, there's apparently no colonization because his stool> > > > cultures were negative - no good bacteria - but thankfully no bad> > > > bacteria either!)> > > >> > > > One thing that I am not surprised by, but am disappointed in (because> > > > it is going to be so much work) is that he is highly reactive to> > > > gluten containing foods [wheat +3, rye +2, barely +2, oat +2 (not sure> > > > if this is because we don't use gluten-free oats or if it's because he> > > > has an issue with oat)]. The worst part is that he is also reactive> > > > to rice (+1)and corn (+1) which are two of the easy gluten-free> > > > alternatives...(also had a score of 85 on the gliaden test, with> > > > anything over 30 being a strongly positive reaction).> > > >> > > > She reiterated that many of her patients see dramatic improvement with> > > > constipation by just going GF/CF. We've been CF for a while, but have> > > > been dreading the GF. Easing up on gluten did seem to help some, but> > > > I'll let you all know if there's drastic improvement with eliminating> > > > gluten. At least with test results I can (hopefully) get DH on board.> > > >> > > > I have two questions & hope for input:> > > > 1) Our doc suggested we avoid all reactive foods for a year, but> > > > could do rotation with the +1 foods if needed. I wonder, though,> > > > if anyone else has done this IgG panel and if they have any comment on> > > > the relevance of the +1 foods....Do we stand a better chance of> > > > healing his leaky gut if we do totally avoid all 28 foods stringently> > > > or will rotating the +1's not alter the chances of healing the gut?> > > >> > > > 2) Doc recommended a bovine (cow) immunoglobulin supplement to help> > > > with the leaky gut. I am not a fan of the idea of giving him bovine> > > > immunoglobulin. Stick with me (if you're still reading) - some swear> > > > that raw cow's milk healed their leaky gut. If purified bovine> > > > immunoglobin supplements are helping with healing leaky guts, then> > > > perhaps this is one of the components of raw milk that helps heal> > > > leaky guts. We know that human breast milk has tons of immunoglobins> > > > and immune factors. So, shouldn't human breast milk (a 'raw' milk) be> > > > effective as well? Since I'm still BF'ing my 1 year old, I could pump> > > > and and try giving my 3 yr old breast milk - wouldn't this have the> > > > same effect (or better) as raw cow's milk? Has anyone heard of making> > > > yogurt with human breastmilk? If I can get probiotics into him in> > > > breastmilk yogurt, I'd be getting two supp's in at once..... Am I> > crazy?> > > >> > > > Please don't think I'm totally insane - I just want to heal his gut> > > > and thought if I can do it with the help of my breastmilk instead of> > > > another supplement, all the better....> > > >> > > > THANK YOU for " listening " and for any thoughts/comments.> > > >> > > > Best,> > > > > > > >> > > > p.s. - She recommends fermented veggies and cocobiotic (body ecology).> > > > He's reactive (+1) to coconut, so I'm not sure if we'll try> > > > cocobiotic, but I've read great things about it at another board. I> > > > have long been considering making my own fermented veggies - so now I> > > > have the motivation to give it a try - just need to learn how -> > > > anybody doing this already?> > > >> > > > p.p.s. - surprised to find they couldn't culture yeast from his stool,> > > > but I still feel strongly that he has yeast symptoms (even the doc> > > > confirmed at our first appointment that the rash and pimples on his> > > > bottom are typically tell-tale signs of yeast). any thoughts?> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

i was thinking the same thing. nobody has ever looked

into my school records that i know of. i guess it could be a problem

for insurance like a "pre-existing" condition though.

Bonnie Juettner wrote:

Thanks, Tracie, this is really good to know. But...why does it

matter (sorry if this is a really naive question) what her permanent

record says? I mean, if she ever runs for president, I suppose her

opponent could dig up her old school records and say, "ha! when you

were in kindergarten, you needed an IEP!" But are there other reasons

to worry about the permanent record?

Bonnie

On Jan 10, 2008 6:12 AM, Carl and Tracie

Happel <ctajcharter (DOT) net>

wrote:

As a special ed teacher, I

can tell you the school will provide you with a "potty assistant" if

she qualifies for something called "OHI" or if she qualifies based on

academic need (for an IEP). However, it's incredibly tricky and

difficult to get kids qualified on academic need when they're so young

(unless there's an obvious delay). If she's a smartie and doing

relatively well compared to her peers, you're better bet is OHI ("other

health impairment"). Kids can qualify for this label (and, yes, it's a

label that will be on her permanent record) based on medical need - if

her physical symptoms interfere with her learning ability, she

qualifies. For instance, several kids I know (in my building), have

food allergies that are severe enough that they qualify...nevermind

they could change their diet (no one looks at that), they get services.

So, I don't know if you're working with a doctor (doesn't need to be a

traditional med doctor, it just needs to be someone with a Dr. in front

of their name - we often use our chiro), but that person could be a

huge advocate for her services, if you choose this route. On a personal

note, we used this route for our son during his early school years - I

talked the school out of an IEP (didn't want the permanent label), but

we had everything else - including the bathroom assistance. We used the

school nurse who helped him regulate his needs. We had butt wipes,

extra pull-ups, diapers, underwear and clothes for him at school. The

teacher was aware of his needs, I taught her what to look for

behaviorally that would indicate his bathroom needs and we all worked

together. Now, he's in 4th grade, we continue to work with the

classroom teacher, but he's a lot more aware of his needs, so we've

backed of school services a little. It was a lot of work, frustration

and some tears, but it was my son and it's a public school. I was

adamant they would provide for him based on HIS needs, not based on

other kids.

Oh, p.s...I would suggest

registering her, regardless of what she may be like in the fall. You

can always "unregister" if you decide to homeschool (which is what I

totally wanted to do, but we could not afford it).

~ Tracie

-----

Original Message -----

JOHN WRIGHT

To:

miralax

Sent:

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:16 PM

Subject:

Our dd was gfcf for over a year and could never make any

progress, only became worse. Our DAN never suggested a food

sensitivity panel. When we finally had it done, we discovered that she

had not only a sensitivity to rice which in in everything gfcf, but

also had a true allergy to it. This was including the gluten, casein,

soy, peanuts, etc. etc. We made the change to the SC diet and it was

a true miracle for us. Of course, our dd did not have the CBS

upregulation which can be a real issue for ammonia problems with a diet

high in protein. After 3 years on the diet, her gut is completely

healed with no sensitivities, only true allergies. She does not eat

any gluten, casein, soy, or rice products, however, she does eat many

carbs which she could not tolerate earlier. She also had so many

sensory issues at that time. We could not go to the mall, through a car

wash, places where babies might cry, could not walk on the tile, wear

certain clothing, etc. I believe that the diet and a combination of OT

and PT really made the difference. She no longer has any sensory

problems and has no need of those services today. She can ride a 2

wheel bike, a scooter, play soccer, etc. She went from no speech to

being completely conversational. I cannot say what was responsible for

all the changes (she was a Miralax kid also), but I know the diet was

the one thing that made all the others possible. She was on Miralax

for over a year. I cannot believe that I did not look into what the

ingredients of that product were. I have learned a lot since that time.

CW

Bonnie Juettner <bjuettnergmail>

wrote:

Thanks, LeeAnn and Angi and --I have been thinking

about looking into the IEP idea. I had been envisioning her in a

regular class but with an IEP, though (what happens to the curriculum

when kids are lumped together based on their sensory needs? I wouldn't

want to see their academic needs get lost in the shuffle--not that I

have any reason, I guess, to think that would happen) and couldn't

quite imagine what I was supposed to ask for in an IEP, especially with

the potty training. Would the school district really provide her with a

potty assistant? The sensory issues I truly believe will be much better

with a structured environment. She is seeing an occupational therapist,

100% covered by insurance (thank goodness!).

Too, it's hard to say how she'll be in Sept. I think we are getting

some mercury out of her. What seems to be happening is that she's

suddenly doing harder work at preschool than before, yet also is more

constipated and has more sensory issues. I *think* the mercury is

leaving her brain, trying to be excreted via her intestines, but also

getting stuck and partially reabsorbed there. Somewhere I read that we

heal from the head down...I'm hoping that's what is currently happening

to her and that, consequently, we might be seeing some really good

improvements in a few months.

The aggravating thing is that we may have to register her for school

before we really know how she'll be doing in the fall.

Bonnie

On Jan 9, 2008 3:54 PM, angi and

george wrote:

bonnie,

your girl sounds like my 4 year old - very strong sensory issue

problems - right now she is in a early education program 3 hour a day

preschool that the school district pays for. (early intervention) It

has helped her a lot. Also she see's a private occupational therapist

for sensory issues. For a while we could not afford the $160 an hour

for the private OT - but we got a grant from UnitedHealthCare - they

have children's grants for anyone who qualifies....my dd got $5000

for this years OT treatments....amazing help for us. You can

google unitedhealthcare children's foundation and apply online I

think. I have no idea if you need it or are interested, I though I

would just throw it out there.

mommtlc wrote:

Bonnie --

I'd look into the Childfind system. To date my son only has a

sensory and devel delay diagnosis -- and he has a full IEP and

services. He's in a developmental kindergarten with 11 boys, 1

girl, 1 special ed teacher and 2 aids. This year was the best

fit -- all sensory kids, only one with behavior issues.

> > >

> > > > Hi all,

> > > > Apologies ahead of time - this is LONG. I'm

overwhelmed

right now.

> > > >

> > > > We just got my DS's IgG test results back today. He

reacted

to 28

> > > > different foods as "positive" for food "allergy."

Basically,

> > > > confirmed my suspicion of leaky gut. (and despite

my

supplementing him

> > > > with probiotics, there's apparently no colonization

because

his stool

> > > > cultures were negative - no good bacteria - but

thankfully

no bad

> > > > bacteria either!)

> > > >

> > > > One thing that I am not surprised by, but am

disappointed in

(because

> > > > it is going to be so much work) is that he is

highly

reactive to

> > > > gluten containing foods [wheat +3, rye +2, barely

+2, oat +2

(not sure

> > > > if this is because we don't use gluten-free oats or

if it's

because he

> > > > has an issue with oat)]. The worst part is that he

is also

reactive

> > > > to rice (+1)and corn (+1) which are two of the easy

gluten-

free

> > > > alternatives...(also had a score of 85 on the

gliaden test,

with

> > > > anything over 30 being a strongly positive

reaction).

> > > >

> > > > She reiterated that many of her patients see

dramatic

improvement with

> > > > constipation by just going GF/CF. We've been CF for

a while,

but have

> > > > been dreading the GF. Easing up on gluten did seem

to help

some, but

> > > > I'll let you all know if there's drastic

improvement with

eliminating

> > > > gluten. At least with test results I can

(hopefully) get DH

on board.

> > > >

> > > > I have two questions & hope for input:

> > > > 1) Our doc suggested we avoid all reactive foods

for a year,

but

> > > > could do rotation with the +1 foods if needed. I

wonder,

though,

> > > > if anyone else has done this IgG panel and if they

have any

comment on

> > > > the relevance of the +1 foods....Do we stand a

better chance

of

> > > > healing his leaky gut if we do totally avoid all 28

foods

stringently

> > > > or will rotating the +1's not alter the chances of

healing

the gut?

> > > >

> > > > 2) Doc recommended a bovine (cow) immunoglobulin

supplement

to help

> > > > with the leaky gut. I am not a fan of the idea of

giving him

bovine

> > > > immunoglobulin. Stick with me (if you're still

reading) -

some swear

> > > > that raw cow's milk healed their leaky gut. If

purified

bovine

> > > > immunoglobin supplements are helping with healing

leaky

guts, then

> > > > perhaps this is one of the components of raw milk

that helps

heal

> > > > leaky guts. We know that human breast milk has tons

of

immunoglobins

> > > > and immune factors. So, shouldn't human breast milk

(a 'raw'

milk) be

> > > > effective as well? Since I'm still BF'ing my 1 year

old, I

could pump

> > > > and and try giving my 3 yr old breast milk -

wouldn't this

have the

> > > > same effect (or better) as raw cow's milk? Has

anyone heard

of making

> > > > yogurt with human breastmilk? If I can get

probiotics into

him in

> > > > breastmilk yogurt, I'd be getting two supp's in at

once.....

Am I

> > crazy?

> > > >

> > > > Please don't think I'm totally insane - I just want

to heal

his gut

> > > > and thought if I can do it with the help of my

breastmilk

instead of

> > > > another supplement, all the better....

> > > >

> > > > THANK YOU for "listening" and for any

thoughts/comments.

> > > >

> > > > Best,

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > p.s. - She recommends fermented veggies and

cocobiotic (body

ecology).

> > > > He's reactive (+1) to coconut, so I'm not sure if

we'll try

> > > > cocobiotic, but I've read great things about it at

another

board. I

> > > > have long been considering making my own fermented

veggies -

so now I

> > > > have the motivation to give it a try - just need to

learn

how -

> > > > anybody doing this already?

> > > >

> > > > p.p.s. - surprised to find they couldn't culture

yeast from

his stool,

> > > > but I still feel strongly that he has yeast

symptoms (even

the doc

> > > > confirmed at our first appointment that the rash

and pimples

on his

> > > > bottom are typically tell-tale signs of yeast). any

thoughts?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

It can really affect there future depending on there future!! You hit one... medical insurance!! My brother who is/was(just retired last month) was a Marine recruter said that even the military wont allow some in if they have had some of these dianoses and been medicated. I think it depends on the job itself! This being said, my niece's husband just recently inlisted into the marines and as teen had some pretty serious diagnoses/meds/jail etc. and is now in the marine corps. Gotta give my brother a call and ask him on this one. We sit on both sides of the fence with this issue!! 2 boys, both have issues, one mild, one very severe!! The mild one we avoided the labels, for his benefit. With the other the more labels the more help, for his benefit. I guess as parents we just gotta go with our best intsincts on this! Jennie wrote: i was thinking the same thing. nobody has ever looked into my school records that i know of. i guess it could be a problem for insurance like a "pre-existing" condition though.Bonnie Juettner wrote: Thanks, Tracie, this is really good to know. But...why does it matter (sorry if this is a really naive question) what her permanent record says? I mean, if she ever runs for president, I suppose her opponent could dig up her old school records and say, "ha! when you were in

kindergarten, you needed an IEP!" But are there other reasons to worry about the permanent record? Bonnie On Jan 10, 2008 6:12 AM, Carl and Tracie Happel <ctajcharter (DOT) net> wrote: As a special ed teacher, I can tell you the school will provide you with a "potty assistant" if she qualifies for something called "OHI" or if she qualifies based on academic need (for an IEP). However, it's incredibly tricky and difficult to get kids qualified on academic need when they're so young (unless there's an obvious delay). If she's a smartie and doing relatively well compared to her peers, you're better bet is OHI ("other health impairment"). Kids can qualify for this label

(and, yes, it's a label that will be on her permanent record) based on medical need - if her physical symptoms interfere with her learning ability, she qualifies. For instance, several kids I know (in my building), have food allergies that are severe enough that they qualify...nevermind they could change their diet (no one looks at that), they get services. So, I don't know if you're working with a doctor (doesn't need to be a traditional med doctor, it just needs to be someone with a Dr. in front of their name - we often use our chiro), but that person could be a huge advocate for her services, if you choose this route. On a personal note, we used this route for our son during his early school years - I talked the school out of an IEP (didn't want the permanent label), but we had everything else - including the bathroom assistance. We used the school nurse who helped him regulate his needs. We had butt wipes, extra pull-ups, diapers, underwear and clothes for him at

school. The teacher was aware of his needs, I taught her what to look for behaviorally that would indicate his bathroom needs and we all worked together. Now, he's in 4th grade, we continue to work with the classroom teacher, but he's a lot more aware of his needs, so we've backed of school services a little. It was a lot of work, frustration and some tears, but it was my son and it's a public school. I was adamant they would provide for him based on HIS needs, not based on other kids. Best of luck!! :) Oh, p.s...I would suggest registering her, regardless of what she may be like in the fall. You can always "unregister" if you decide to homeschool (which is what I totally wanted to do, but we could not afford it). ~ Tracie Re: Re: Food IgG Panel results Our dd was gfcf for over a year and could never make any progress, only became worse. Our DAN never suggested a food sensitivity panel. When we finally had it done, we discovered that she had not only a sensitivity to rice which in in everything gfcf, but also had a true allergy to it. This was including the gluten, casein, soy, peanuts, etc. etc. We made the change to the SC diet and it was a true miracle for us. Of course, our dd did not have the CBS upregulation which can be a real issue for ammonia problems with a diet high in protein. After 3 years on the diet, her gut is completely healed with no sensitivities, only true allergies. She

does not eat any gluten, casein, soy, or rice products, however, she does eat many carbs which she could not tolerate earlier. She also had so many sensory issues at that time. We could not go to the mall, through a car wash, places where babies might cry, could not walk on the tile, wear certain clothing, etc. I believe that the diet and a combination of OT and PT really made the difference. She no longer has any sensory problems and has no need of those services today. She can ride a 2 wheel bike, a scooter, play soccer, etc. She went from no speech to being completely conversational. I cannot say what was responsible for all the changes (she was a Miralax kid also), but I know the diet was the one thing that made all the others possible. She was on Miralax for over a year. I cannot believe that I did not look into what the ingredients of that product were. I have learned a lot since that

time. CW Bonnie Juettner <bjuettnergmail> wrote: Thanks, LeeAnn and Angi and --I have been thinking about looking into the IEP idea. I had been envisioning her in a regular class but with an IEP, though (what happens to the curriculum when kids are lumped together based on their sensory needs? I wouldn't want to see their academic needs get lost in the shuffle--not that I have any reason, I guess, to think that would happen) and couldn't quite imagine what I was supposed to ask for in an IEP, especially with the potty training. Would the school district really provide her with a potty assistant? The sensory issues I truly believe will be much better with a structured environment. She is seeing an occupational therapist, 100% covered by insurance (thank goodness!).

Too, it's hard to say how she'll be in Sept. I think we are getting some mercury out of her. What seems to be happening is that she's suddenly doing harder work at preschool than before, yet also is more constipated and has more sensory issues. I *think* the mercury is leaving her brain, trying to be excreted via her intestines, but also getting stuck and partially reabsorbed there. Somewhere I read that we heal from the head down...I'm hoping that's what is currently happening to her and that, consequently, we might be seeing some really good improvements in a few months. The aggravating thing is that we may have to register her for school before we really know how she'll be doing in the fall. Bonnie bonnie,your girl sounds like my 4 year old - very strong sensory issue problems - right now she is in a early education program 3 hour a day preschool that the school district pays for. (early intervention) It has helped her a lot. Also she see's a private occupational therapist for sensory issues. For a while we could not afford the $160 an hour for the private OT - but we got a grant from UnitedHealthCare - they have children's grants for anyone who qualifies....my dd got $5000 for this years OT treatments....amazing help for us. You can google unitedhealthcare children's foundation and apply online I think. I have no idea if you need it or are interested, I though I would just throw it out there. mommtlc wrote: Bonnie --I'd look into the

Childfind system. To date my son only has a sensory and devel delay diagnosis -- and he has a full IEP and services. He's in a developmental kindergarten with 11 boys, 1 girl, 1 special ed teacher and 2 aids. This year was the best fit -- all sensory kids, only one with behavior issues.> > >> > > > Hi all,> > > > Apologies ahead of time - this is LONG. I'm overwhelmed right now.> > > >> > > > We just got my DS's IgG test results back today. He reacted to 28> > > > different foods as "positive" for food "allergy." Basically,> > > > confirmed my suspicion of leaky gut. (and despite my supplementing him> > > > with probiotics, there's apparently no colonization because his stool> > > > cultures were negative - no good bacteria - but thankfully no bad> > > >

bacteria either!)> > > >> > > > One thing that I am not surprised by, but am disappointed in (because> > > > it is going to be so much work) is that he is highly reactive to> > > > gluten containing foods [wheat +3, rye +2, barely +2, oat +2 (not sure> > > > if this is because we don't use gluten-free oats or if it's because he> > > > has an issue with oat)]. The worst part is that he is also reactive> > > > to rice (+1)and corn (+1) which are two of the easy gluten-free> > > > alternatives...(also had a score of 85 on the gliaden test, with> > > > anything over 30 being a strongly positive reaction).> > > >> > > > She reiterated that many of her patients see dramatic improvement with> > > > constipation by just going GF/CF. We've been CF for a

while, but have> > > > been dreading the GF. Easing up on gluten did seem to help some, but> > > > I'll let you all know if there's drastic improvement with eliminating> > > > gluten. At least with test results I can (hopefully) get DH on board.> > > >> > > > I have two questions & hope for input:> > > > 1) Our doc suggested we avoid all reactive foods for a year, but> > > > could do rotation with the +1 foods if needed. I wonder, though,> > > > if anyone else has done this IgG panel and if they have any comment on> > > > the relevance of the +1 foods....Do we stand a better chance of> > > > healing his leaky gut if we do totally avoid all 28 foods stringently> > > > or will rotating the +1's not alter the chances of healing the gut?> > >

>> > > > 2) Doc recommended a bovine (cow) immunoglobulin supplement to help> > > > with the leaky gut. I am not a fan of the idea of giving him bovine> > > > immunoglobulin. Stick with me (if you're still reading) - some swear> > > > that raw cow's milk healed their leaky gut. If purified bovine> > > > immunoglobin supplements are helping with healing leaky guts, then> > > > perhaps this is one of the components of raw milk that helps heal> > > > leaky guts. We know that human breast milk has tons of immunoglobins> > > > and immune factors. So, shouldn't human breast milk (a 'raw' milk) be> > > > effective as well? Since I'm still BF'ing my 1 year old, I could pump> > > > and and try giving my 3 yr old breast milk - wouldn't this have the> > > > same effect

(or better) as raw cow's milk? Has anyone heard of making> > > > yogurt with human breastmilk? If I can get probiotics into him in> > > > breastmilk yogurt, I'd be getting two supp's in at once..... Am I> > crazy?> > > >> > > > Please don't think I'm totally insane - I just want to heal his gut> > > > and thought if I can do it with the help of my breastmilk instead of> > > > another supplement, all the better....> > > >> > > > THANK YOU for "listening" and for any thoughts/comments.> > > >> > > > Best,> > > > > > > >> > > > p.s. - She recommends fermented veggies and cocobiotic (body ecology).> > > > He's reactive (+1) to coconut, so I'm not sure if we'll try> > > > cocobiotic, but I've read

great things about it at another board. I> > > > have long been considering making my own fermented veggies - so now I> > > > have the motivation to give it a try - just need to learn how -> > > > anybody doing this already?> > > >> > > > p.p.s. - surprised to find they couldn't culture yeast from his stool,> > > > but I still feel strongly that he has yeast symptoms (even the doc> > > > confirmed at our first appointment that the rash and pimples on his> > > > bottom are typically tell-tale signs of yeast). any thoughts?> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.