RemedySpot.com

Chewing gum that contains Xylitol toxic/lethal to dogs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie

Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

i had no idea. my dog (mini dachshund) used to get

into my purse to get my sugarless gum. On more than one occasion she

ate several pieces before I caught her. SHe was very sneaky about it.

She is fine. It is always trident in the blue package.

Marg Messick wrote:

Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became

hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo

glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on

this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my

dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a

proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or

extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres

a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything

out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats

next???? marg

Jeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net>

wrote:

Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report

on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing

xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in

a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you

can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog

about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw,

you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the

probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned

about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when

they ingest it.

Jeanie

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

Yahoo! Mobile.

Try it now.

I am hypoglycemic and i know about hypoglycemia and xylitol gum does not affect low blood sugar.MargMarg Messick wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have

hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it

affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Hi Marg,I understand what you are saying and I sympathise with the confussion. I really don't know about the gum as I have not done my research. But one thing does come to mind is that somethings just effect dogs. Like chocolate can kill a dog in very small doses where a human would have to eat a lot of it. I think many things can lead a person to become hypo gly.Have you noticed that people are getting chronically, and fatially sick at younger and younger ages. One reason for that is as you had brought up in another thread- hardly anyone is growing their own food and we are eating stuff grown in sewage and topped with a coctail of chemicals. The animals are raised in such horrid conditions that they are not truly fit for consumption either. On top of all of that *they* really are adding toxins to nearly everything consumed . And with the blessing of the fda. My grandparents lived pretty healthy lives till they were in their 70s, my parents started getting

sick in their 50s (my dad died at 59), and my siblings and I started chronic illnesses in our 30s. We are not alone. I am sitting at this computer at 6 am cus for the last hour I have been struggling to breath cuz my hyper thyroid has my neck and chest tight, and for the last 2 days I keep feeling like throwing up in my throat. This never happened to my older relatives. If they made it past childhood illnesses (which weren't as bad a the medical profession would have you believe) they lived healty lives for the most part.It can be mind boggling, but we do really live in a toxic world. I don't think I want a bubble, but about 100 workable acres, a tractor, garden, livestock, barn, and a husband who's back has not given out on him would be a lovely, lovely life.Susie ~Marg Messick wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward

<dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

Mobile. Try it now. Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts

Marg, I never said this is what makes humans hypoglycemic, this is what happens if you give it to a dog....................Marg Messick wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet

when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that

contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

NOBODY INCINUATED THAT IT DID, PLEASE READ THE MATERIAL, THIS ARTICLE PERTAINED TO DOGSMarg Messick wrote: I am hypoglycemic and i know about hypoglycemia and xylitol gum does not affect low blood sugar.MargMarg Messick <margmessick> wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to

hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to

immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Marg, you said::I wonder what idiot would give a dog gumAs the owner of 2 very sweet inside dogs and 1 Heaven-sent 2 yo little girl, I can tell you it is a battle to make sure a bite of chocolate does not hit the floor. Cus as soon as it does our dogs are running after it. I know that there are some folks that feed their dogs near anything, but for the most part things like this are accidents.Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts

jeanie, In you end statement you said this makes me wonder about probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol.It also mentioned it about affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it.. were you talking about dogs as I did realize dogs took probiotics. I know people do. MargJeanie Ward wrote: NOBODY INCINUATED THAT IT DID, PLEASE READ THE MATERIAL, THIS ARTICLE PERTAINED TO DOGSMarg Messick <margmessick> wrote: I am hypoglycemic and i know about hypoglycemia and xylitol gum does not affect low blood sugar.MargMarg Messick <margmessick> wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass

bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound,

and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

At the end I meant to say as I DIDN'T realize dogs took probiotics. i know people do.Marg Messick wrote: jeanie, In you end statement you said this makes me wonder about probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol.It also mentioned it about affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it.. were you talking about dogs as I did realize dogs took probiotics. I know people do. MargJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: NOBODY INCINUATED THAT IT DID, PLEASE READ THE MATERIAL, THIS ARTICLE PERTAINED TO DOGSMarg Messick <margmessick> wrote: I am hypoglycemic and i know about hypoglycemia and xylitol gum does not affect low blood sugar.MargMarg Messick <margmessick> wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet

when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia,or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeaniesbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that

contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

susie, I can understand dogs and candy but when I really think about it dogs will eat anything and you have to be careful. thanks margSusie wrote: Marg, you said::I wonder what idiot would give a dog gumAs the owner of 2 very sweet inside dogs and 1 Heaven-sent 2 yo little girl, I can tell you it is a battle to make sure a bite of chocolate does not hit the floor. Cus as soon as it does our dogs are running after it. I know that there are some folks that feed their dogs near anything, but for the

most part things like this are accidents. Susie~ Please visit Trisha's site and feel free to pass it on: Busy Hands ~ Pencil Portraits and Other Handmade Gifts Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am jumping in on this late, but chocolate is high in oxalates and xylitol converts to oxalate in the body. In fact, high doses of xylitol given in an IV killed a couple of patients due to oxalates (this was posted on Owen's board). While xylitol might not cause hypoglycemia, I know for a fact that oxalates (remember - which can convert from xylitol) interefere with the citric acid, gluconeogenesis and glycolysis systems - my hypoglycemic daughter's (who's sugar levels are usually very stable due to diet management) sugar levels dive and she has even seized while dumping oxalates from a dietary infraction. There have also been studies on oxalates and these systems. I hypothesize that

the amount of oxalates and the dog's size are what could be behind this. Oxalates are very toxic!

Just a thought!

Re: Chewing gum that contains Xylitol toxic/lethal to dogs

Marg,

I never said this is what makes humans hypoglycemic, this is what happens if you give it to a dog......... ......... ..Marg Messick <margmessick@ yahoo.com> wrote:

Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia, or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeanie@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:

Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it.

Jeanie

Exellent ! I was wondering about xylitol, thank you for confirming Vickers wrote: I am jumping in on this late, but chocolate is high in oxalates and xylitol converts to oxalate in the body. In fact, high doses of xylitol given in an IV killed a couple of patients due to oxalates (this was posted on

Owen's board). While xylitol might not cause hypoglycemia, I know for a fact that oxalates (remember - which can convert from xylitol) interefere with the citric acid, gluconeogenesis and glycolysis systems - my hypoglycemic daughter's (who's sugar levels are usually very stable due to diet management) sugar levels dive and she has even seized while dumping oxalates from a dietary infraction. There have also been studies on oxalates and these systems. I hypothesize that the amount of oxalates and the dog's size are what could be behind this. Oxalates are very toxic! Just a thought! Re: Chewing gum that contains Xylitol toxic/lethal to dogs Marg, I never said this is what makes humans hypoglycemic, this is what happens if you give it to a dog......... ......... ..Marg Messick <margmessick@ yahoo.com> wrote: Gee I have been chewing trident gum all my life and became hypoglycemic 5 years ago. now I guess I know what made me become hypo glycemic according to hear say. You learn something new everyday on this site. I was told hypoglycemia is caused by either hereditary as my dad was hypo,and theres a lot of diabetes in my family, or not eating a proper diet when young and

even alcoholics usually have hypoglycemia, or extreme stress.I wonder what idiot would give a dog gum and now theres a question about probiotics and other food. seems to me that everything out there is hazardous and we may as well live in a glass bubble.Whats next???? margJeanie Ward <dreamjeanie@ sbcglobal. net> wrote: Orbit and Triedent gum is toxic to dogs, I just saw a report on the News that a dog can die from just one piece of gum containing xylitol. If this happens you are to give a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a turkey baster to induce vomiting so they don't absorb it until you can get them to immediate care. They recommend a quarter cup for a dog about 25lbs. or so, I'm just guessing on the weight of the dog I saw, you can look it up to be sure. This makes me wonder about the probiotics and other foods that contain xylitol. It also

mentioned about it affecting their blood sugar and they become hypoglycemic when they ingest it. Jeanie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.