RemedySpot.com

Re: Tracie!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jennie,

I totally understand what you mean about hospitals and their assumption they can do whatever to whomever...I just read story on foxnews.com where a New York city worker got hit on the head with a beam while on the job and forced to have a rectal exam to see if he broke his coccyx. According to the report, they held him down, sedated him and did the exam while he was semi-concious. Anyway...the sensor test was okay. Like I said, I told the hospital what I expected - I got all the info ahead of time by calling the doctor and making it perfectly clear what info I wanted. I also talked with the head nurse and anesthesiologist. When I found out it was not routine to use sedation, I told him that we WOULD be using sedation, regardless of "protocol." The doc and I talked about pros and cons and he agreed it would be best. He said it would ultimately be up the anesthesiologist, so I made it clear that if he said no sedation, we would not go forward (they don't like that as they've assembled a huge team, got the OR, all the tools, etc.). I wasn't rude, but emphatic and asked many times if there were any questions. I also had to get special permission from the insurance company for sedation (the docs there said it wasn't necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). That took a couple of weeks to have the doc write a letter on our behalf and all that red tape.

Finally, after all that and two days in the hospital (one day for clean-out and hydration - one protocol I was willing to do there as opposed to home), we got results. Our sons motility is slow. We knew that from the "rubber band" test. The nerves are good (whew!) and the contractions are strong when they happen, but they don't happen when they're supposed to. Why? The test didn't answer that - we were told there is no answer for it. Current thinking is that there's an infection or some kind of bacteria in the lining of the intestines stalling the contractions. There are drugs being tested now for it, they asked to be part of the study (of course I said no!). So we definitely know his motility is slow and he will need help with that until it's figured out why. I believe, for him, the supplements we give help keep his gut healthy and things moving along.

Hope that was helpful and answered your questions, Jennie! I am glad we did it and I would do it again. Actually, the doc wants to do it again unsedated. He feels he get more reliable results. He told our son he'd PAY him to do it again without "sleep medicine!!" Uh, no thanks!! :)

Tracie!!

Sorry if this posts twice! This darn mail!!Hi Tracie!!This just posted in my mail yesterday! I sure have problems with my miralax mail sometimes! Thank you so much for the response!! We was informed some on what is involved with the sensor tests(not pleasant and avoiding) this is the one we would have to travel to california. This would be closer, we live in Nevada(area 51 area, giggles)! Sedating, it is crazy to think they let our little ones go through some of these things awake(they tend to have the attitude they forget, that is crud)!! I was caught off gaurd with my sons last hospital visit(sudden obstruction fear) and you wouldnt believe what they put him through... I wanted to grab them and say what the heck are you doing to my son! I learnt my lesson from that day and well insist on sedation or at the very least "happy juice", he has used this one befor! Do you mind me asking how the results was as far as intestinal contractions/motility/nerves? Thank you so much. I had not come accross anyone until now that had experience with this test!! I soooooooo dread it and that test is after a weeks hospital admission for other tests! I have gotten to wear I just hate hospitals, I cant stand to see my son go through all of it, but at the same time, I know we have too! Jennie<><Carl and Tracie Happel <ctajcharter (DOT) net> wrote:Jennie -Our so went through the "sensors" testing at Children's in Milwaukee (if you are close to there, it might be cheaper than CA). They have a WONDERFUL ped g.i. dept...Anyway, the test was not too bad for anyone involved because I INSISTED that they sedate my son. They weren't going to and if they hadn't, I doubt we would've gotten anywhere with it. The placement of the sensors is terribly invasive (sorry if it scares you, but you need to know). I know how my son reacts with enemas and/or suppositories so I knew there would be no way they'd rectally insert 5-7 sensors with him being awake. Once they were placed and our son was a little more with it, it was all good. He thought it was pretty darn cool to see what is insides were doing on the computer. Since he was out, I also requested ANY kind of testing to be done, so a biopsy was done and some others (don't remember right now). The rubber band thing is a 3-day test, so they might have your son swallow them while there (just mix them with juice or something), but the x-ray would have to come three days later. We got a lot of answers with the tests they did and while I freaked out about it before it happened, I'm really glad we did it. ~ TracieP.S. I have to share this for laughs...the worst part of the test was the tape to hold the sensors in...at the end of the procedure, some nurse used the clear, surgical tape to keep the tubes in. She was NOT thinking however when she placed the tape...she taped his scrotum to his penis...when he woke up and tried to move, he screamed in pain. It startled everyone present...we quickly investigated and found the problem. His room nurse (male, FRESH out of nursing school) squealed in pain and refused to remove the tape. Thank God for strong moms like us...being the Momma Bear that I am, I quickly gave the nurse a death-look, ran to my son and ripped the tape off. While not pretty, it was a lot better than everything being taped together!!! :) --------------------------------------------------------------------

I wont let them put my son through all the tests without some form of

sedation, it doesnt even have to be full sedation. After seeing how

much he has fought some of this stuff and several people having to

hold him down I dont see them being able to even start the proccess

without something to keep him calm! So far we have been able to avoid

due to he is doing better/new med(hope to see him off this) and

natural supplementing!! Something that caught my attention in your

post is your answer to the results! Im glad to hear his nerves are

ok. Yes our sons contractions tend to be sporadic also! You mentioned

the intestinal lining possibly having some type of

infection/bacteria! This has been my thoughts excactly!! My sons

motility issues only flair up with virus's etc. Also when biopsies

(sp) have been done on spectrum children they are finding measles in

the lining of there tracts(most likely cause is from the vaccines

themselves). Thank you so much for talking to me about this, it has

calmed some of my anxieties about it!! I have realized over these

last couple of years that preventive is so vital with our kids.

Building a stronger immune and avoiding the affects from

virus's/bacteria issues. Over 70% of our immune stems from the GI!

Less illness, less gi issues(we have seen huge improvements with our

son due to preventive thinking). Jennie<><

> Jennie -

>

> Our so went through the " sensors " testing at Children's in

Milwaukee

> (if you are close to there, it might be cheaper than CA). They

have a

> WONDERFUL ped g.i. dept...Anyway, the test was not too bad for

anyone

> involved because I INSISTED that they sedate my son. They weren't

> going to and if they hadn't, I doubt we would've gotten anywhere

with

> it. The placement of the sensors is terribly invasive (sorry if

it

> scares you, but you need to know). I know how my son reacts with

> enemas and/or suppositories so I knew there would be no way

they'd

> rectally insert 5-7 sensors with him being awake. Once they were

> placed and our son was a little more with it, it was all good. He

> thought it was pretty darn cool to see what is insides were doing

on

> the computer. Since he was out, I also requested ANY kind of

testing

> to be done, so a biopsy was done and some others (don't remember

> right now). The rubber band thing is a 3-day test, so they might

have

> your son swallow them while there (just mix them with juice or

> something), but the x-ray would have to come three days later. We

got

> a lot of answers with the tests they did and while I freaked out

> about it before it happened, I'm really glad we did it.

>

> ~ Tracie

>

> P.S. I have to share this for laughs...the worst part of the test

was

> the tape to hold the sensors in...at the end of the procedure,

some

> nurse used the clear, surgical tape to keep the tubes in. She was

NOT

> thinking however when she placed the tape...she taped his scrotum

to

> his penis...when he woke up and tried to move, he screamed in

pain.

> It startled everyone present...we quickly investigated and found

the

> problem. His room nurse (male, FRESH out of nursing school)

squealed

> in pain and refused to remove the tape. Thank God for strong moms

> like us...being the Momma Bear that I am, I quickly gave the

nurse a

> death-look, ran to my son and ripped the tape off. While not

pretty,

> it was a lot better than everything being taped together!!! :)

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------

> ----------

>