RemedySpot.com

High serum B 12

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all- I recently began treating 3yo autistic male and he had some bloodwork done by his primary that shows high B 12, over 2000 PG/ML. The MD wants to refer them to an endocrinologist (not sure why...) I'm thinking his increased levels are due to increased probiotics and supplementation, and that this should not be of concern...but I wonder if anybody out there knows anything different? N.D.N.field, RI401*597*0477

I often see high serum B12 with supplementation. However, I think it may actually suggest that they cannot utilize B12 correctly. Can you run a Methylmalonic acid level on the child. I think it can be done blood or urine. I've only used blood. But if it's elevated then there is very likely a B12 deficiency actually underlying this high serum level. Autistic kids tend to have methylation problems. Could this factor into the picture? I'm asking because I'm not sure on the biochemistry of all this but I do know that serum is a poor way to measure B12 levels and often I see patients with high levels and still macrocytic.

I'd love to hear more thoughts.

Kim E. Saxe, ND

Quantum Health Care, LLCwww.milwaukeenaturopathic.com "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." ~ lloyd

The Chiropractic and Wellness Group

10025 W. Greenfield Ave.

West Allis, WI 53214

Ph:

Fax:

Subject: High serum B 12To: NaturopathicChat Cc: unda_cases Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 1:31 PM

Hi all- I recently began treating 3yo autistic male and he had some bloodwork done by his primary that shows high B 12, over 2000 PG/ML. The MD wants to refer them to an endocrinologist (not sure why...) I'm thinking his increased levels are due to increased probiotics and supplementation, and that this should not be of concern...but I wonder if anybody out there knows anything different?

N.D.

N.field, RI

401*597*0477