RemedySpot.com

Re: Update on my condition, and thanks for the info on alternative therapies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

Sorry to hear what you went through, I am glad you are better now.

A few years ago something similar happened to me and I was also

hospitalized for the first time for my asthma for 5 days.

It was a scary lesson to learn the hard way, and ITA with everything

you said. I am now very proactive with treating my asthma. I no longer

trust the " wait and see " approach when it comes to being sick or

feeling off in anyway.

GL and be healthy,

>

> Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I posted my first question to this

group inquiring about alternative therapies for asthma. Thanks to all

of you who responded.

>

> Unfortunately, the day I wrote that I ended up in the hospital

with " staticus asthmaticus " (my new favorite phrase), and I was

hospitalized on IV steroids and antibiotics for a full week. For those

of you who aren't familiar with the phrase above, it basically means

asthma that doesn't change with treatment. I had gotten an upper

respiratory virus, started wheezing, started using my nebulizer, and

just assumed eventually it would get better if I kept nebulizing.

Which it didn't. We were out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend and

I was ignorant and stubborn and didn't want to call my doctor over the

holiday to get prednisone.

>

> When we got home from our trip I did start on oral prednisone, but

by then it was too late, and 48 hours later I ended up in the ER and

then admitted into the hospital. It took five days of intensive IV

therapy to make a dent in the wheezing and rattling and to bring up my

O2 sats. Really miserable.

>

> To make matters worse, once they sent me home on oral steroids,

I've been having bad ian reactions as they taper the dose --

basically, my adrenal glands are having a hard time kicking back in to

make their own cortisol, and I've been feeling like absolute crap,

like there are 20-lb weights hanging from every part of my body. We've

been adjusting the dosages, back up, a little back down, but it will

take a long time to get things regulated. My poor kids (10 and 7) are

getting used to having an infirm mommy, which I hate. Luckily my mom

flew in for the first week while I was in the hospital, and the day

she left my in-laws came, so we are well taken care of, and all I have

to do is sit here and concentrate on getting better.

>

> Anyway -- I've been reading everything going around the last week

since I've been home, and I've learned a few things I want to pass on.

>

> First of all, taking prednisone is awful, but it is better than

NOT BREATHING. If you need it -- and if you've got any experience with

this disease, you know when you need it -- do not be stubborn. Call

the doctor and get started.

>

> Second of all, if you nebulize a few times and get no relief, call

your doctor and/or go to the ER. Staticus asthmaticus can be fatal,

and quickly. Once your lungs decide they will no longer respond to the

bronchodialators, there's nowhere to go but down.

>

> And third, listen to your body. This time it got so bad because I

ignored the warning signs and waited too long. Also I'm sure I was set

up by the many fires we've had this fall here in southern California,

and whatever nasty virus was going around my family -- but if I had

acted more quickly and proactively I don't think I would have gotten

this sick. This is the first time I've ever been hospitalized because

of my asthma. I hope it will be the last.

>

> Not knowing these things, not doing these things, cost me -- well,

maybe not my life, but it sure cost me a few precious weeks of my life.

>

> FYI, this all happened despite my many regular maintenance

medications, with which I am vigilant (Xolair, Advair, Singulair,

Rhinocort, Astelin, Xyrtec, Prilosec). I've now failed on Xolair --

not even sure they're going to let me keep taking it, which would be

awful, since it's been controlling me pretty well for the past two and

a half years.

>

> Thanks for listening, everyone. And for the support. It's good to

know there are people out there dealing with similar things.

>

> Best,

>

>

> P.S. After many years of denying that we need central air

conditioning in our house (Santa is very temperate), my husband

is finally giving in, for health reasons. I guess my being in the

hospital was enough to scare him into it.

>

>

>

> _____________________

> Penzer Kerekes

> ekerekes@...

>

OH ERIKA!!

I'm glad you are HERE to post to us! That had to of been soo frightening for you! You've had a terrible time of things. Talk to Madeline about the tapering of the steroids, poor thing she's had a horrible time. takes 10 awesome steps forwards and a few steps backwards and I know how frustrated she is! She could be of such a big help to you as fast as emotional support.

I have not yet been where you are but we sound so much alike. I'd better start taking yawls experiences and start doing what's right by my body if I want to live to see my children continue to grow or grandchildren. I have so much rebellion in me with this mess, like "I" want to have the control but it doesn't always work that way and with the HIGH copays $45 a pop for each medication and I have 5 that I fill every month this month the debate was breath or have a house to live in? The house almost won until the horrible attacks 3 back to back in 6 hours Thursday night in to Friday. That made my answer for me. Screw the mortgage company, they will just have to put us with a late fee and I'll pay them next Friday, but I'm not going to die to keep this Freaking house!

Terry I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teddy Bear's Early Learning ProgramEstablished August of 1992

From: asthma [mailto:asthma ] On Behalf Of Penzer KerekesSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:01 AMTo: asthma Subject: Update on my condition, and thanks for the info on alternative therapies

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I posted my first question to this group inquiring about alternative therapies for asthma. Thanks to all of you who responded.

Unfortunately, the day I wrote that I ended up in the hospital with "staticus asthmaticus" (my new favorite phrase), and I was hospitalized on IV steroids and antibiotics for a full week. For those of you who aren't familiar with the phrase above, it basically means asthma that doesn't change with treatment. I had gotten an upper respiratory virus, started wheezing, started using my nebulizer, and just assumed eventually it would get better if I kept nebulizing. Which it didn't. We were out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend and I was ignorant and stubborn and didn't want to call my doctor over the holiday to get prednisone.

When we got home from our trip I did start on oral prednisone, but by then it was too late, and 48 hours later I ended up in the ER and then admitted into the hospital. It took five days of intensive IV therapy to make a dent in the wheezing and rattling and to bring up my O2 sats. Really miserable.

To make matters worse, once they sent me home on oral steroids, I've been having bad ian reactions as they taper the dose -- basically, my adrenal glands are having a hard time kicking back in to make their own cortisol, and I've been feeling like absolute crap, like there are 20-lb weights hanging from every part of my body. We've been adjusting the dosages, back up, a little back down, but it will take a long time to get things regulated. My poor kids (10 and 7) are getting used to having an infirm mommy, which I hate. Luckily my mom flew in for the first week while I was in the hospital, and the day she left my in-laws came, so we are well taken care of, and all I have to do is sit here and concentrate on getting better.

Anyway -- I've been reading everything going around the last week since I've been home, and I've learned a few things I want to pass on.

First of all, taking prednisone is awful, but it is better than NOT BREATHING. If you need it -- and if you've got any experience with this disease, you know when you need it -- do not be stubborn. Call the doctor and get started.

Second of all, if you nebulize a few times and get no relief, call your doctor and/or go to the ER. Staticus asthmaticus can be fatal, and quickly. Once your lungs decide they will no longer respond to the bronchodialators, there's nowhere to go but down.

And third, listen to your body. This time it got so bad because I ignored the warning signs and waited too long. Also I'm sure I was set up by the many fires we've had this fall here in southern California, and whatever nasty virus was going around my family -- but if I had acted more quickly and proactively I don't think I would have gotten this sick. This is the first time I've ever been hospitalized because of my asthma. I hope it will be the last.

Not knowing these things, not doing these things, cost me -- well, maybe not my life, but it sure cost me a few precious weeks of my life.

FYI, this all happened despite my many regular maintenance medications, with which I am vigilant (Xolair, Advair, Singulair, Rhinocort, Astelin, Xyrtec, Prilosec). I've now failed on Xolair -- not even sure they're going to let me keep taking it, which would be awful, since it's been controlling me pretty well for the past two and a half years.

Thanks for listening, everyone. And for the support. It's good to know there are people out there dealing with similar things.

Best,

P.S. After many years of denying that we need central air conditioning in our house (Santa is very temperate), my husband is finally giving in, for health reasons. I guess my being in the hospital was enough to scare him into it.

_____________________ Penzer Kerekesekerekes