RemedySpot.com

Re: Special case - 8 month old

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I posted not too long ago with a mom who's baby was clamping and have destroyed nipples. CST seemed to work wonders!. It took 3 or 4 visits for real improvement but after the 1st the mother did report a change. I have not seen the baby since and would love to check the oral cavity again.Kim Guelig IBCLC, RLCwww.bosombabieslactationservices.com To: Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:29 PM Subject: Special case - 8 month old

I just met an 8 mo old infant, exclusively bf, who pulls extremely strongly on her mother’s nipple for the entire feed. She has been doing this for months. The infant has reflux, treated with Prevacid. The mother has persistent issues with plugged ducts, milk blisters and what she labels an overactive milk production. However, the mother is unable to pump any milk. Infant is growing well but mother has lots of nipple and breast pain. This is the mother’s second child. No problem of this nature with the previous child who was bf for 14 months. Have you ever seen such a particular way of sucking at the breast ? Nothing seems to convince the infant to nurse any other way. I am referring the mother for ultrasounds for her recurring plugged ducts and the infant for reassessment by a pediatric chiropractor. I am out of ideas to help her get her infant to not pull on the nipple during the feed. Any ideas ? Ghislaine Reid, BA (Translation 1981), LLL (1990), IBCLC(2002)Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Guest guest

I forgot to mention that the baby had two frenotomies since birth and the mother is off dairy products and soy. Ghislaine De : [mailto: ] De la part de latternerb@...Envoyé : 16 mars 2012 07:44À : Objet : Re: Special case - 8 month old I'd deal with mom's gut health and what baby is sensitive to in her milk. Checking for tongue-tie important, too. Barbara Latterner The infant has reflux, treated with Prevacid. The mother has persistent issues with plugged ducts, milk blisters and what she labels an overactive milk production. However, the mother is unable to pump any milk.

Guest guest

I still haven't heard when this occurs! when milk is letting down? or when baby is not swallowing? that will help figure it out. Beebe, M.Ed., RLC, IBCLC Lactation Consultant/Postpartum Doula www.second9months.comwww.facebook.com/thesecond9months---

I forgot to mention that the baby had two frenotomies since birth and the mother is off dairy products and soy. Ghislaine De : [mailto: ] De la part de latternerb@...Envoyé : 16 mars 2012 07:44À :

Objet : Re: Special case - 8 month old

Guest guest

Has baby had any bodywork done (CST and/or chiro)? I’ve had a number of clients now who saw some improvement after frenotomy but the biggest improvement was after baby had also had several sessions of CST. Often the babies need some help to overcome the adaptations they develop due to the restricted tongue movement. Warmly,Fleur Bickford From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Ghislaine ReidSent: March-17-12 5:40 PMTo: Subject: RE: Special case - 8 month old ,Baby pulls during the entire feeding. Mother thought initially that the infant used this technique to counter the very active milk ejection reflex and overabundant milk production. I am wondering, as Barbara L. pointed out, if it is not rather a slow milk ejection reflex. Hence causing the plugged ducts because of insufficient breast drainage. The baby is doing exactly what a newborn would do to elicit a milk ejection reflex. However, she does it for the entire duration of the feed. I don’t remember if I saw her swallow however, she is growing well and seems satisfied at the end of a feed. Still puzzled by this case... Ghislaine Reid, BA (Translation 1981), LLL (1990), IBCLC(2002)Montreal, Quebec, Canada De : [mailto: ] De la part de BeebeEnvoyé : 17 mars 2012 12:04À : Objet : RE: Special case - 8 month old I still haven't heard when this occurs! when milk is letting down? or when baby is not swallowing? that will help figure it out. Beebe, M.Ed., RLC, IBCLC Lactation Consultant/Postpartum Doula www.second9months.com www.facebook.com/thesecond9months --- I forgot to mention that the baby had two frenotomies since birth and the mother is off dairy products and soy. Ghislaine De : [mailto: ] De la part de latternerb@...Envoyé : 16 mars 2012 07:44À : Objet : Re: Special case - 8 month old