RemedySpot.com

Re: TT - 2nd clipping?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi I think the real issue is this - are nipples just 'slow' to heal (and this would really depend on how damaged they are and if there is anything confounding the healing like a bacterial infection and mom's expectations/perception, what about her nutritional status?) or is there new damage being done when feeding? 3wks isn't really all that long if damage was really bad - is there any improvent at all?? Obviously latch has been observed/corrected to make sure it is best/deepest/most effective. Some babies need the 2nd clip, esp if mom has not been doing exercises/stretches. Consider least invasive option - CST, myofascial release, adjust latch, etc..... and then observe the latch and look carefully at the tongue, maybe consider having a feel in there.......make sense?good luckbethBeth McMillan BA IBCLCOttawa, Ontario.To: From: 5carrolls@...Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 02:41:59 +0000Subject: TT - 2nd clipping?

What signs/symptoms would suggest a baby needs a second clip? Mom clipped as a 5 y.o. and baby had type 2 anterior tie that was clipped 3 weeks ago. Mom had really damaged nips prior to the clipping (done at about 3 weeks) and nips still are not fully healed. Much better, but definitely not healed even though latch looks good and mom has done moist wound care.

Carroll

Guest guest

i would look under baby's tongue? what do you see? was it clipped all the way back to the tongue muscle itself? or is there still tissue there that's restricting? was body work done? Beebe, M.Ed., RLC, IBCLC Lactation Consultant/Postpartum Doula www.second9months.comwww.facebook.com/thesecond9months--- Subject: TT - 2nd clipping?To: Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 7:41 PM

What signs/symptoms would suggest a baby needs a second clip? Mom clipped as a 5 y.o. and baby had type 2 anterior tie that was clipped 3 weeks ago. Mom had really damaged nips prior to the clipping (done at about 3 weeks) and nips still are not fully healed. Much better, but definitely not healed even though latch looks good and mom has done moist wound care.

Carroll

Guest guest

Hello, .

Has baby had any bodywork? That seems to be really important to helping formerly tongue-tied babies learn how to move everything correctly during sucking when it all used to be held back in the wrong place and they kept reinforcing wrong, compensatory movements to get any milk.

Watch baby's tongue when he cries. Can he get the tip of his tongue very near the roof of the mouth when his mouth is open wide? If not, a re-clip might be in order. Do you feel a speedbump when you do a fingersweep under the tongue? If so, a re-clip might be in order.

Dee Kassing

What signs/symptoms would suggest a baby needs a second clip? Mom clipped as a 5 y.o. and baby had type 2 anterior tie that was clipped 3 weeks ago. Mom had really damaged nips prior to the clipping (done at about 3 weeks) and nips still are not fully healed. Much better, but definitely not healed even though latch looks good and mom has done moist wound care. Carroll

Guest guest

Hi Dee -- No, no bodywork has been done.

I suggest it whenever I have a TT release done and other times when I

see assymetry, but the moms in my practice seem to be reluctant to do

it. I provide teaching, talk about the very light pressure used on

babies, give them your article, etc. For a lot of my families, it seems

to be about cost... I know the argument that formula will cost more than

the costs associated with getting breastfeeding going well but moms (and

a lot of times, the dads) are more concerned about an immediate, out of

pocket expense as opposed to a potential cost down the road. For my

western medicine minded families, I think they simply don't understand

how much difference body work makes. I consistently tell parents that

the TT babies who have body work done do substantially better than my

babies who don't. ***sigh***

I think I need to start telling them my own testimony: I had a nagging,

chronic injury for over 2 years that high quality, traditional

orthopedic medicine could not relieve. I found out about Active Release

Technique, received 4 sessions of treatment and have been pain free ever

since. While I know that CST is different from ART, it removed any

lingering doubts about the efficacy of body work.

Carroll

>

> Hello, .

> Has baby had any bodywork? That seems to be really important to

helping formerly tongue-tied babies learn how to move everything

correctly during sucking when it all used to be held back in the wrong

place and they kept reinforcing wrong, compensatory movements to get any

milk.

Guest guest

Absolutely, talk about your experience. If I have doubtful moms, I talk to them about massage. then they get it! Beebe, M.Ed., RLC, IBCLC Lactation Consultant/Postpartum Doula www.second9months.comwww.facebook.com/thesecond9months--- From: sandbc1a

Subject: Re: TT - 2nd clipping?To: Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 1:50 PM

Hi Dee -- No, no bodywork has been done.

I suggest it whenever I have a TT release done and other times when I

see assymetry, but the moms in my practice seem to be reluctant to do

it. I provide teaching, talk about the very light pressure used on

babies, give them your article, etc. For a lot of my families, it seems

to be about cost... I know the argument that formula will cost more than

the costs associated with getting breastfeeding going well but moms (and

a lot of times, the dads) are more concerned about an immediate, out of

pocket expense as opposed to a potential cost down the road. For my

western medicine minded families, I think they simply don't understand

how much difference body work makes. I consistently tell parents that

the TT babies who have body work done do substantially better than my

babies who don't. ***sigh***

I think I need to start telling them my own testimony: I had a nagging,

chronic injury for over 2 years that high quality, traditional

orthopedic medicine could not relieve. I found out about Active Release

Technique, received 4 sessions of treatment and have been pain free ever

since. While I know that CST is different from ART, it removed any

lingering doubts about the efficacy of body work.

Carroll

>

> Hello, .

> Has baby had any bodywork? That seems to be really important to

helping formerly tongue-tied babies learn how to move everything

correctly during sucking when it all used to be held back in the wrong

place and they kept reinforcing wrong, compensatory movements to get any

milk.

Guest guest

Absolutely talk about your experience. I certainly do. When parents start to question the efficacy of body work I tell them that technically I am 100% permanently disabled thanks to a 17yr old drunk driver. I briefly list the number of different modalities that kept me going, and then talk about the last one (who I send my babies to now) who not only kept me going but gave me back 100% functional use of a body that should NEVER have it. It makes a difference. I also talk about different cases I have worked with – the 3 day baby who so was badly injured at birth that not only could she not breastfeed, she couldn’t bottlefeed. Took her immediately (45 minutes later) to my Bowen therapist and within 30 minutes baby was able to bottlefeed, 2 wks later she was breastfeeding. I have many cases like this… Tell the story. Warmly,Jaye Jaye Simpson, CLE, IBCLC, CIIM, MoMBreastfeeding Networkwww.breastfeedingnetwork.net