RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: upregulation to reverse downregualtion???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Kirby Lately I have been smoking marijuana which in high doses lowers serotonin , and in low doses increases sex drive . I have only smoke 3 times though . I wonder if pot can rebalance the CNS. Peace, Adam From: kirby.lancaster

To: SSRIsex Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:24:02 AM Subject: Re: upregulation to reverse downregualtion???

Desensitising receptors MAY (or may not) reduce anxiety. Anxiety is not just caused by serotonin receptors, they may have nothing to do with it, your shrink will not be able to prove this because in short nobody can, we're not that advanced in understanding the brain. ADS make some people anxious as hell, depends on your brain chemistry and what has gone wrong- these drugs take a stab in the dark which can go wrong oh so often. The serotonin receptors are responsible for many a function in the body, dulling and down regulating them all would be like removing your soul. Who's to say anxiety isn't caused by a million other different mechanisms in the brain? Basically what I'm saying is down regulation is one of the major things causing persistent side effects -otherwise antagonists would have the ability to prevent and block certain symptoms. The idea is to cause a state in the brain where it would want to up regulate the receptors to reach a

new homeostatic set point instead of this new one created with antidepressants. Serotonin/dopamine depletion would not be a pleasant experience but it would make the brain respond/reverse the changes hopefully. I can only find one drug that does this however.

>

>

> >Â

> >Hi Man

> >Â

> >I believe your theory , after quiting paxil ,which i took for 6 years i recovered after 3-4 months. Anxiety ans sexual pleasure came back. Than after 6 months I made a big mistake and tool lexapro because the shrink wanted me to, and now pssd.

> >

> >

> >

> >To: SSRIsex

> >Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:47:17 AM

> >Subject: upregulation to reverse downregualtion???

> >

> >

> >

> >Â

> >We know that there is serotonin receptor down regulation due to overexposure to serotonin.

> >

> >We know that there is serotonin receptor up regulation in people with chronically low levels of serotonin (such as suicidal and those that are clinically depressed).

> >

> >Makes sense right? Too much of it, reduce the sensitivity. Not enough of it, increase the sensitivity.

> >

> >Low levels actually making one more sensitive to drugs and high levels making one more tolerant.

> >

> >In this case we have become so tolerant that we are tolerant to our own natural levels of serotonin.

> >Technically the serotonin receptors should up regulate on withdrawal of the drug but why should they if they are feeling the right amount of serotonin? They only up regulate if they are required to up regulate if the brain is feeling a lack of stimulation.

> >For example MDMA users will experience a huge influx of serotonin followed by down regulation and then massive serotonin depletion in the following weeks followed by a responsive up regulation. This is shown in studies with rats.

> >Ssris however work in a different fashion however jamming unnatural amounts in the synapse which our brains cannot immediately respond to which accounts for "start up" effects of massive down regulation in the first few weeks until the brain adapts. This explains why people may only get sexual dysfunction after multiple ssri exposures. Some people may get the same effect after one exposure- possible low receptor number to start with. And possible some individuals can go on and off the drugs with very little side effects due to naturally low serotonin- therefore receptor levels will bounce back.

> >

> >So question is why aren't we trying to cause a sustained depletion of neurotransmitters to encourage up regulation of receptors???

> >

> >As far as I can see there is only one drug that can cause this, a drug for high blood pressure Reserpine? Any thoughts on this?

> >Studies show it increases the response to other drugs such as lsd.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>