RemedySpot.com

Re: Synhtroid after SSRIs use

Rate this topic

Guest guest

IIRC, you have elevated or high estrogen (estradiol) ? High estrogen/estradiol causes higher levels of copper, and copper slows down the thyroid, hence it might be the reason you have an under-active thyroid after quitting the SSRI. I'm not a doctor though.

Copper slows down the thyroid, while zinc speeds up the thyroid.

As Dr no stated on a forum, dopamine and serotonin are tied to the hip - when one goes down, the other goes up. When one goes up, the other goes down. Suddenly stopping the SSRI can cause a sudden drop in serotonin (according to the rat study in the link below), and theoretically this would cause a high increase in dopamine which would then cause a high testosterone level (Dr no has stated that increasing dopamine causes testosterone to increase, and increasing testosterone causes dopamine to increase). The body converts any excess testosterone into estradiol, thus causing an increased estradiol level, which causes an increased copper level. As copper goes up, zinc goes down (and vice versa, as zinc goes up, copper goes down). High estradiol can cause many of the symptoms of PSSD.

http://ithyroid.com/copper.htm (scroll down in this link to get to the main article)

http://www.ithyroid.com/zinc.htm

Perhaps tapering off the SSRI too quickly also causes depleted serotonin.

BTW, the body uses the amino acid L-Tyrosine to make thyroid hormones.

I'm wondering who else in the group, besides yourself, has symptoms of hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) which includes the following symptoms, i.e. low energy, getting tired easily, problems with memory and concentration, low libido, feeling the cold easily, weight gain, carpal tunnel syndrome (which causes pains and numbness in the hand), etc.

I believe SSRIs mess up our hormone levels, which are usually delicately balanced by the body. Dr Crisler - a top endocrinologist in the USA - says that SSRIs are endocrine-disrupting drugs.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mad-in-america/201011/new-rat-study-ssris-markedly-deplete-brain-serotonin

>> Hi Everyone> > I am now 24 years old , but at 21 years old I slowly weaned off Paxil 20 mgs in a 4 months span and got no withdrawl effects, My sexual function and anxiety all came back after 3-4 months, anxiety actually sooner. I was diagnosed hypothyroid a month and half after quiting paxil and starting using synhtroid 2 months after I quit the drugs, I wonder if quiting the paxil caused the hypothyrodism because it messes up the body once you quit and everything was out of balance. I wonder if I would have waited 6-7 months if my thyroid would have went back to normal because i felt extremely tired back than. I started Lexapro for for 2 months 7 months after i quit paxil , then quit and took Luvox and wellbutrin for a year which caused the PSSD. I have been taking synhtroid for over 3 years and wonder if I really need it. I have been free of drugs for over 2 years now. Synthroid probably stops my body from producing thyroxine since my brain knows it doesn't have to produce it anymore, wonder if I should quit synthroid.> I also wonder if synthroid causes sexual side effects if u don't need the drug.>