RemedySpot.com

Re: Sleep training

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Donna,

"While some people believe it's all right to let a baby cry to sleep, there is scientific evidence that it is harmful in the short and long term," is something I might start with. Then quoting research from Harvard study on effects of excessive crying, Nils Bergman's brain science information where he quotes other research on long term effects including depression and schizophrenia as adults being possible outcomes, the famous quote of Lee Salk, "if crying is good for the lungs, then bleeding is good for the veins," and so on. Keep it research based and not personal opinion and I try to help parents uncover their instincts or if these are buried deeply or tarnished by their own childhood experiences, I try to elicit some empathy for the baby by asking how adults feel when their upset is ignored or minimized. Acknowledging that we live in an immediate gratification society rather than realizing many "weanings" are a process not a 3-7 day quick fix. Quick fixes often ignore ones humanity and can backfire with catastrophic outcomes. I could go on for pages on this but I'm sure you get my point. Treat moms with empathy, relay the facts, and offer resources.

Barbara Latterner

Hello wiser ones How do you all gently, politely, and respectfully explain the detrimental effects of letting your baby cry it out? I don't want to offend anyone , especially when their ped said its ok, but I really want to get the point across.Thanks!

Donna Cohen BA , IBCLCMomma's Milk