RemedySpot.com

Wounds that don't heal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Permission to post (I asked mostly due to my own curiosity about these non-healing wounds)--I saw a mom at an LLL meeting last night who has these terribly damaged nipples that just won't heal. It was an LLL meeting, so it wasn't like I was doing a consult.  We were talking about them not healing, and all the things she's tried, and how *long* it's been without any healing.  

Mom does say she doesn't really have pain after the initial latch,  So I'm thinking, what's up with this? and she offers to show and tell.  Sheesh!  

Seriously, they look like a newly circumcised penis.  And they've been that way for about 4 weeks (baby now about 8 weeks old)!Anyway, I probably told her the basics.  --If you're using APNO for weeks on end, there's something else going on.

--If you're using a topical anti-fungal for more than 3-5 days with no improvement, there's probably something else going on.Baby did lean back and conveniently cry, which gave me a little looksie at what I think is a channel palate, or at least pretty high and narrow.  Again, LLL meeting it wasn't like she asked me to do a consult or I conveniently had gloves to check out her baby's mouth.  She recently saw her doc, who cultured the nipple.  She was familiar with medi-honey, which I thought might be a go, as well as coconut oil.  Maybe one nipple with medi-honey, one with coconut oil.

I'm just thinking healing here now.  She did take a few days " off " and fully pumped; no change.  I'm thinking yes on the baby damaging with oral irregularity, yes on something up with mom that she isn't healing.  Then I'm thinking, if I had an open wound on my arm that hadn't healed in 4 weeks, I'm certain my doctor would be doing more than acting puzzled!

Wagner-Roseville, CA

Guest guest

OUCH! , that sounds awful. That poor mama!Thank goodness you were there to help her. I like the idea of trying different remedies on each breast to see which works best for her.You mentioned you noticed that the baby had a very high, narrow palate. That set me to thinking about the possibility of  a tongue tie, because a tied tongue is unable to lift high enough to spread the palate naturally. And a tongue-tie would also be contributing to the raw nipples.

normaNorma Ritter, IBCLC, RLCBreastfeeding Matters in the Capital Regionwww.NormaRitter.comJoin us on Facebook for the latest birthing and breastfeeding news and views:

http://tinyurl.com/BMCRonFB

Permission to post (I asked mostly due to my own curiosity about these non-healing wounds)--I saw a mom at an LLL meeting last night who has these terribly damaged nipples that just won't heal. It was an LLL meeting, so it wasn't like I was doing a consult.  We were talking about them not healing, and all the things she's tried, and how *long* it's been without any healing.  

Mom does say she doesn't really have pain after the initial latch,  So I'm thinking, what's up with this? and she offers to show and tell.  Sheesh!  

Seriously, they look like a newly circumcised penis.  And they've been that way for about 4 weeks (baby now about 8 weeks old)!Anyway, I probably told her the basics.  --If you're using APNO for weeks on end, there's something else going on.

--If you're using a topical anti-fungal for more than 3-5 days with no improvement, there's probably something else going on.Baby did lean back and conveniently cry, which gave me a little looksie at what I think is a channel palate, or at least pretty high and narrow.  Again, LLL meeting it wasn't like she asked me to do a consult or I conveniently had gloves to check out her baby's mouth.  She recently saw her doc, who cultured the nipple.  She was familiar with medi-honey, which I thought might be a go, as well as coconut oil.  Maybe one nipple with medi-honey, one with coconut oil.

I'm just thinking healing here now.  She did take a few days " off " and fully pumped; no change.  I'm thinking yes on the baby damaging with oral irregularity, yes on something up with mom that she isn't healing.  Then I'm thinking, if I had an open wound on my arm that hadn't healed in 4 weeks, I'm certain my doctor would be doing more than acting puzzled!

Wagner-Roseville, CA