RemedySpot.com

Re: Please help-

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, . We had this situation with my son. It was either his first or second cast and we didn't realize he was sick, but after the casting the anesthesiologist came out and told us that he had some respiration dips during the procedure. He said he was fine and that it didn't get to a level of being a problem, but it was probably due to him coming down with a cold. He said they see it happen fairly frequently since kids are always coming down with things. Sure enough, the next day he had a full-blown cold. Another time, he was sick prior to the casting, but we were also in a situation where the cast needed to go. We talked to the nurses at Shriners and to the anesthesiologist. The ortho said

that he could have the cast off for as long as 2 weeks if we needed to get the cast off. The anesthesiologists definitely seemed to take the cold thing very seriously, but they were willing to do the casting if we got signed off by his ped on his lungs, etc. We took him to the ped. and his lungs were okay and his nose, etc. was no longer too stuffy, etc. so we went ahead with the casting and everything went fine. The ped. at Shriners also checked him out thoroughly before anesthesia. I would suggest calling your ortho and talking to them about what they recommend (maybe even talk to the anesthesia dept. as well).

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 10:20:25 AMSubject: Please help-

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is

up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had

anesthesia with a cough?As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

It is so stressful when a cast change is coming and they seem sick. I think you should try to keep the cast date and keep him in the cast until the 23rd. (just going on the info- of course I can't actually see him or have your 'parental intuition.) You are so close! If your son only has a little cold they will still do the casting. Keep us posted as to how the cold progresses. This time of year it is so hard to keep them well, especially with school age children in the house to "share" what they get at school. Good luck!

jill

Subject: Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:20 AM

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now

is up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had

anesthesia with a cough?As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

Thanks ..

This is the type of info I was looking for.

We are going to Shriner's on the 23rd. I think this cast does need to come off. At that time I will let them assess him & decide if he is a candidate for anesthesia. Right now he does have a cough, but does not appear to have a stuffy nose. We'll see.

thanks again !

--------- Please help-

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is up a lot at night becaus

e he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?As always, thanks to all of th

e experienced parents out there for you advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

Thanks Jill !! I'll keep you all posted.

--------- Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:20 AM

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is up a lot at night beca

use he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

dear

I'm so sorry to hear that Shane is not comfortable with the cast ...but don't worry he will take it off soon ...besan first cast was the same she was not eating good ,not be able to set at all the cast period and it was very hard on the night ..she just spend 20 days in her first cast then we called Dr.ashgar and told him that she can't Stand it more so he make her 2nd cast earlier ..so the little angle is very brave to stand his first cast that long ..he is so brave

make sure to notice where the spots that is not comfortable for him and write it down and told Dr.ashgar about them all to give in him better ideas and make adjustment for the new cast to make it as comfortable as possible ..we did that and her 2nd cast was much better and she spend 3 month on it ...its a matter of time he will used to all of that believe me ...

besan now have some troubles with this cast but even so she is used to all of that ..and she told me it will gone soon :)

kids are stronger than we think ...god bless them

about the cough ..i hope it will be better in the 12/23 ..once besan has runny nose and she had her cast though so it will be Dr.ashgar dissuasion and i hope he will take it off any way .

i miss him and i show besan his pic and she said this is the baby who looks like me :)

wish u all the luck ...

love

aseel

Subject: Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, 19 December, 2008, 5:20 PM

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now

is up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had

Get your preferred Email name!

Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.

Thanks !!! Looking forward to seeing you on 12/23.

I'm glad to hear Besan is doing well.

Give Besan a hug for us.. Shane will be glad to see her.

Take Care !!

--------- Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, 19 December, 2008, 5:20 PM

Good Morning Everyone!!I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is up a lot at night beca

use he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

Get your preferred Email name! Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.

, I am the dad of and she had many casts. Sometimes she

was sick. The first thing they do is take an oxygen saturation test to

see if her lungs are absorbing enough O2 to handle anestisia. Perhaps

you could get one of these done at your pediatricians office to see

where he is at. Sometimes she was sick, but just bursting out of the

cast, not keeping food down, so no matter what it had to be cut off. We

did not want to cut it off here (which You can do yourself with offset

tin snips BTW) and leave her unsupported. We travel from San Diego to

Salt Lake City for her treatment, so you could imagine the stress above

the regular stress when she was sick. The first time she was sick, she

passed the saturation test and her lungs sounded clear, but she had

breathing complications during surgery. Really scary close call! The

next time she was sick too, passed the tests like before, but this time

our pediatrician had us administer Albuterol (an asthma med to open the

lungs) via a nebulizer at home, a week before her appointment and we did

it at the hospital just before surgery. There were no complications this

time. In fact, she received the Albuterol every time thereafter, sick or

not as a precaution. If she was just too sick for the surgery, she

would have got her cast removed, and then they would have made her a

brace to wear until she was healthy enough to get another cast. I hope

this helped. ~~

>

> From: smlatham2007 smlatham@...

> Subject: Please help-

> To: infantile_scoliosis

> Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:20 AM

>

>

> Good Morning Everyone!!

>

> I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his

> second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it

> may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it

> was " over with " prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week.

>

> We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we

> are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems

> to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the

> cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a

> postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next

> casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was

> eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the

> last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also

> noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is

> up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We

> just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us

> etc.

>

> Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the

> cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast...

> Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing,

> so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off

> ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of

> this though.

>

> Now my thoughts are is this a cold?

> Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well

> or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold

> any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot

> have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?

>

> Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so,

> what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?

>

> As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you

> advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

>

>

>

Hi !

I so feel your pain! I was just in this position earlier this week before our casting.... At least 2 weeks prior to our cast date, Noelle was basically eating a liquid diet.... The cast was getting very tight on her belly and her reflux was awful. She also had a cough and a fever for 2-3 days.... I took her to the pediatrician the day before we left to make sure she was well enough to go through anesthesia before we made the trip. Luckily, her lungs, ears and throat were fine.... It was just a cough. She did need an antibiotic for an abcess that developed on her butt cheek and the pediatricain was concerned about her getting a staph infection in the OR setting. I called the hospital and they told me it sounded like she could have her cast done and to continue with our trip. When we got to Rochester, I discussed the cough and abcess with her doc and they checked her over before it was cut

off... They felt she was fine to go through casting (which she was). Otherwise, they would have made some adjustments to her current cast to make it more comfortable and rescheduled the cast date..... I would call your pediatrician and have it checked out. If you need any meds, your child should be fine for the casting if you start them now.... Just a thought. I hope it all works out for you and that you have a great trip and a great holiday.... Keep me posted. Hugs, Steph

Subject: Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 3:20 PM

I just wanted to wish both Besan and Shane good luck next week!!!!!

>

>

> Subject: Please help-

> To: infantile_scoliosis

> Date: Friday, 19 December, 2008, 5:20 PM

>

>

> Good Morning Everyone!!

>

> I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his

> second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it

> may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it

> was " over with " prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday

week.

>

> We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we

> are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten &

seems

> to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the

> cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a

> postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next

> casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was

> eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the

> last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also

> noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now

is

> up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We

> just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us

> etc.

>

> Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned

the

> cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the

cast...

> Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems

breathing,

> so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off

> ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue

of

> this though.

>

> Now my thoughts are is this a cold?

> Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well

> or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold

> any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot

> have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?

>

> Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If

so,

> what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?

>

> As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for

you

> advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Get your preferred Email name!

> Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.

>

Hi..

This info was very helpful. Thanks !

Unfortunately, Shane's cold is worse & we had to cancel the appt for 12/24/08.

We are working on setting a new date now. When I hear the "travel stories" , I can not even imagine the stress... We thank our lucky stars ( & God) every day that we live as close as we do to the hospital.

Thanks again !!

--------- Please help- > To: infantile_scoliosis > Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:20 AM>>> Good Morning Everyone!!>> I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his> second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it> may be a good idea to ge

t the cast done on that date so that it> was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week.>> We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we> are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems> to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the> cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a> postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next> casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was> eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the> last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also> noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is> up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We> just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us> etc.>> Well,

I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the> cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast...> Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing,> so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off> ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of> this though.>> Now my thoughts are is this a cold?> Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well> or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold> any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot> have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?>> Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so,> what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?>> As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you> advise and support. M

erry Christmas to all!!>> >

Hi Steph,

Thanks for that info. I'm glad to hear Noelle's casting date went well.

Shane's cold did progress, (now has runny nose, upper airway congestion etc).

So they cancelled the 12/24/08 date. We are working to get a new date.

We'll see..

Take care ... Thanks again.

--------- Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 3:20 PM

Thanks !

--------- Please help- > To: infantile_scoliosis > Date: Friday, 19 December, 2008, 5:20 PM> > > Good Morning Everyone!!> > I need some advise today. My son Shane (18 months) is due for his > second cast on 12/24/08. We do celebrate Christmas, but thought it > may be a good idea to get the cast done on that date so that it > was "over with" prior to Christmas day & the remaining holiday week. > > We are due to get this cast off on 12/23/08. The problem is that we > are all coughing in my house (My daughter is in Kindergarten & seems > to bring home lovely germs this time of year). Shane now has the > cough. He doesn't seem congested, but I'm wondering if he has a > postnasal drip causing the cough. I'd really hate to miss the next > casting date since his cast seems to be getting very tight. He was > eating pretty big meals for the first few weeks of the cast. In the > last week or so his meals at one sitting are much smaller. We also > noted that he was only waking up 1-2 x per night previously & now is > up a lot at night because he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We > just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us > etc. > > Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the > cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... > Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, > so I think he is ok. But of course

, now I would like this cast off > ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of > this though. > > Now my thoughts are is this a cold? > Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well > or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold > any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot > have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?> > Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, > what was the outcome? Has anyone had anesthesia with a cough?> > As always, thanks to all of the experienced parents out there for you > advise and support. Merry Christmas to all!! > > > > > > > > > > Get your preferred Email name! > Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.>

That's too bad! So stressful when they get sick for a casting..... Hope Shane feels better soon and you all have a great holiday. Let us know when you have a new cast date.... Steph

From: smlatham2007 <smlathamcomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Please help- To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, December 19, 2008, 3:20 PM

is up a lot at night beca use he cannot get comfortable ( I think). We just try to reposition him, get him drinks, let him sleep with us etc. Well, I just spoke with someone from the hospital that mentioned the cough might be because he cannot breath deep enough with the cast... Ugh.... His color is good & he does not have any problems breathing, so I think he is ok. But of course, now I would like this cast off ASAP. The person that I spoke with did not make an emergent issue of this though. Now my thoughts are is this a cold? Even if it is, I think this cast needs to go. He is not eating well or sleeping well at this point. Will they give us a brace to hold any progress made until we can get in again for a cast if he cannot have it on 12/24/08 due to a possible cold?Am I worrying too much??... Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome? Has anyone had