RemedySpot.com

RE: Odd NYC Bill Introduced

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Wei,

The instruments are used both indoors and outdoors. Looks like a money making permit requirement. I bet it does not pass, or gets major changes.

Bradley HarrSr. Environmental Scientist

-----Original Message-----From: iequality [mailto:iequality ]On Behalf Of Wei TangSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 5:14 PMTo: iequality Subject: Re: Odd NYC Bill Introduced

Steve,

The keyword might be "atmospheric".

Wei Tang

QLabAirwaysEnvcs wrote:

If you use a continuous radon monitor or PID in NYC, you may want to keep track of and comment on this bill....http://webdocs.nyccouncil.info/textfiles/Int%200650-2007.htmIt shall be unlawful for any person to possess and/or deploy an atmospheric biological, chemical or radiological detector in New York City unless such person holds a valid permit therefor, provided that the commissioner may exclude by rule any atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detector which shall not require such permit. This section shall not apply to atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detectors possessed and/or deployed by the department of health and mental hygiene or the fire department of the city of New York. Steve Temes(Who's terrorizing who?)

Wei Tang, Ph.D.

Lab Director

QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Wei and Steve,I was concerned also. Lorraine Koehler from the EPA has been contacted and she said that this amended rule just applies to radiological equipment such as instruments in hospitals (such as x-ray equipment). She will take into consideration the fact that the radon community has reached out and was concerned now and will look to revise the verbiage.john ------------------------------------------------------------ D. Shane, Ph.D.Steve, The keyword might be "atmospheric". Wei TangQLabAirwaysEnvcs wrote:If you use a continuous radon monitor or PID in NYC, you may want to keep track of and comment on this bill....http://webdocs.nyccouncil.info/textfiles/Int%200650-2007.htmIt shall be unlawful for any person to possess and/or deploy an atmospheric biological, chemical or radiological detector in New York City unless such person holds a valid permit therefor, provided that the commissioner may exclude by rule any atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detector which shall not require such permit.  This section shall not apply to atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detectors possessed and/or deployed by the department of health and mental hygiene or the fire department of the city of New York. Steve Temes(Who's terrorizing who?)  Wei Tang, Ph.D.Lab DirectorQLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Interesting...In regards to radiation, this topic has been discussed before at the annual american assoication of radon scientists and technologists (AARST) conference. Specifically how radon measurment devices could be utilized during a terrorist radiological attack. For most of the typical radon measurement devices a change in the calibration would definitley have to be made to measure the levels of radiation that would be applicable in the new bill (i.e., levels of radiation associated with a terrorist attack as it was the intended use for the instruments. Not sure how NY is structured but I would surmise that to deploy a radon measurment device one must already be certified by the NY DOH or appropriate entity. I would tend to agree that it is just another way to make some money. Mark E. Levy, CIEC ACM Engineering &

Environmental Services, Inc. Brad Harr wrote: Hello Wei, The instruments are used both indoors and outdoors. Looks like a money making permit requirement. I bet it does not pass, or gets major changes. Bradley HarrSr. Environmental

Scientist -----Original Message-----From: iequality [mailto:iequality ]On Behalf Of Wei TangSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 5:14 PMTo: iequality Subject: Re: Odd NYC Bill Introduced Steve, The keyword might be "atmospheric". Wei Tang QLabAirwaysEnvcs wrote: If you use a continuous radon monitor or PID in NYC, you may want to keep track of and comment on this

bill....http://webdocs.nyccouncil.info/textfiles/Int%200650-2007.htmIt shall be unlawful for any person to possess and/or deploy an atmospheric biological, chemical or radiological detector in New York City unless such person holds a valid permit therefor, provided that the commissioner may exclude by rule any atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detector which shall not require such permit. This section shall not apply to atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detectors possessed and/or deployed by the department of health and mental hygiene or the fire department of the city of New York. Steve Temes(Who's terrorizing who?) Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Group,

We all understand that garbage data leads to all kinds of problems. This may be New York City's attempt to prevent garbage data from being presented (with or without interpretation - and all the problems associated with both ends of that issue), forcing NYC to then expend considerable resources trying to counter all the junk.

Personally, I don't think the proposed law is the answer, but there may be a sensible reason behind it.

Or maybe not. For those who have watched "Charlie 's War", maybe the conspiracy theorists aren't totally wacky...

Curtis Redington

-----Original Message-----From: iequality [mailto:iequality ]On Behalf Of Mark LevySent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:48 PMTo: iequality Subject: RE: Odd NYC Bill Introduced

Interesting...In regards to radiation, this topic has been discussed before at the annual american assoication of radon scientists and technologists (AARST) conference. Specifically how radon measurment devices could be utilized during a terrorist radiological attack.

For most of the typical radon measurement devices a change in the calibration would definitley have to be made to measure the levels of radiation that would be applicable in the new bill (i.e., levels of radiation associated with a terrorist attack as it was the intended use for the instruments.

Not sure how NY is structured but I would surmise that to deploy a radon measurment device one must already be certified by the NY DOH or appropriate entity. I would tend to agree that it is just another way to make some money.

Mark E. Levy, CIEC

ACM Engine ering & Environmental Services, Inc.

Brad Harr <bdharrsummitenviroinc> wrote:

Hello Wei,

The instruments are used both indoors and outdoors. Looks like a money making permit requirement. I bet it does not pass, or gets major changes.

Bradley HarrSr. Environmental Scientist

-----Original Message-----From: iequality [mailto:iequality ]On Behalf Of Wei TangSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 5:14 PMTo: iequality Subject: Re: Odd NYC Bill Introduced

Steve,

The keyword might be "atmospheric".

Wei Tang

QLabAirwaysEnvcs wrote:

If you use a continuous radon monitor or PID in NYC, you may want to keep track of and comment on this bill....http://webdocs.nyccouncil.info/textfiles/Int%200650-2007.htmIt shall be unlawful for any person to possess and/or deploy an atmospheric biological, chemical or radiological detector in New York City unless such person holds a valid permit therefor, provided that the commissioner may exclude by rule any atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detector which shall not require such permit. This section shall not apply to atmospheric biological, chemical and radiological detectors possessed and/or deployed by the department of health and mental hygiene or the fire department of the city of New York. Steve Temes(Who's terrorizing who?)

Wei Tang, Ph.D.

Lab Director

QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.