RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Do noise generators help?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My 6 year old son has 4S, and we also live in the Bay Area. Can you please give me the name of the UCSF ENT that you've seen about this? Thanks!

To: Soundsensitivity From: incalion7@...Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:20:42 +0000Subject: Re: Do noise generators help?

There are several kinds of sound generators and several places you can get them from, some are much less than others. I got mine through my ENT Dr. they run approx $1300.00- I am meeting with him again next week to assess if they help and if i want to keep them for good. He has other generators so we may try those as well. He is with the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. A Dr at Hopkins refered me to them since I live in the Bay Area. I'll ask how other people can get these sound generators. hi. my name is becky and although i read the posts, i don't always reply or post myself. however, i must tell you that i purchased a set of sound generators like marsha provides through her clinic this past fall. they are pricey, but for me, they have bought me some sanity! the only person who knows about my condition is my husband and these generators are so small that no one else has noticed them while i have worn them. they are especially easy for women to hide with their hair down. they were a life saver over christmas when i had 4 extra people in my house who i hate to hear eat. i have tried to wear them only when needed. for example, i wear them every time my family sits down to eat together and i don't feel rushed into finishing as fast as i can to get out of there. i also wear them if i am going to sit right next to my husband while watching a movie or when my daughter has a stuffy nose and sniffs all day. i keep them> with me all the time and they are easy to put in when you get used to them and pretty comfortable to wear. the only negative thing about them i have noticed is that, if you have them all the way turned up, you can't hear regular conversation as well and have to be an extra good listener. also, i never noticed until i started wearing these all of the visual things that bother me. for instance, i can't hear my mother-in-law chomping her gum, but even with my generators in, i can't stand to see her chew. this is good in a way, because i can recognize things that i need to work on in dealing with ssss. hope i helped. they are well worth the investment!> > becky> > > --- Do noise generators help?> > Date: Thu, December 27, 2007 11:53 pm> To: Soundsensitivity > > Hi all,> Have any of you tried noise generators? White noise or other> types of noise generating devices? If so, have they helped and how> did you use them? For example, did you wear them all the time or just> when you were around the offending noises? Did it take awhile for it> to help or was it immediate? Any info would help.> Thanks!> > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.> Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

hi. yes, mine also produce 'white noise'. i only wear them when i know i am going into a situation, like eating, that is going to bother me. other than that, i may put them in when i just can't take something anymore, like if my husband has a stuffy nose and is constantly sniffing and i get to the point to where i can't concentrate on anything else. the relief was instant as soon as i wore them at dinner time the first day because i could still hear conversation, but couldn't hear the eating noises that usually bother me so much. at this point, i know that these work for me because they simply drown out the noises i don't like. however, who knows if they will eventually make my reactions less severe when i am not wearing them? i have not had them long enough to know that yet. and i have resigned myself to the fact that there may never be a 'cure' for this in my lifetime, so i am just fine knowing that even if these never make my condition better, i at least have relief from it that does not depend on some form of medication. i think you will find them very useful!

--- Re: Do noise generators help?Date: Thu, January 03, 2008 12:08 amTo: Soundsensitivity

This is very helpful. Do they produce white noise? How did you know when to wear them? I have heard that sometimes it helps to wear them all the time. Do you think they work because they block out the noises that drive you insane or because they actually cause your reaction to be less severe? Lastly, did it take awhile to feel the positive effects of the sound generators?I have sound generators, they produce white noise, and I have them on a trial basis. So far I haven't used them enough to know if they are going to help, or how long i should use them before feeling any effects.thanks so much for your reply!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

That sounds like a very creative solution. I used to have problems when I was growing up because my sister snored really loud (to no fault of her own of course, poor thing, she had a deviated septum). But it made me go insane trying to get away from the sound at night. I would wrap pillows around my head and stick my fingers in my ears underneath. I never heard of an ear plug back then.

Unfortunately, the noise generater types of solutions won't work for me because constantly running sounds are an irritant for me, not just the bodily function type things. I lived in Baltimore City for four years on a main street and I couldn't get away from the noise on the street ever, 24 hours a day. My last year there it started to get into me and I had to move. But thats when my serious problems with noise issues started up.

Interesting solution though.

Lynn

Re: Do noise generators help?

I have a Conair noise machine. It's nice because it gets very loud or soft and is battery operated. I use mine with earplugs at night. I live in a college dorm with a roommate who chews gum, snores, and generally makes me want to pull my hair out and it works very well.If I'm having a particularily bad day, I can sometimes hear triggers through my ear plugs, so this one is nice because it fits in my pillow case (with my 5 pairs of spare plugs :) ).

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.