RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: A thought and a couple fears/concerns

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I completely agree...very well said...To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 12:09:07 AMSubject: Re: A thought and a couple fears/concerns

Make sure your children understand from an early age that you are moresensitive to some sounds than other people are. Tell them it's normalto make those sounds, and you don't blame them for it because you makethem too. Let them know that it bothers you sometimes, and you wouldappreciate it if they would try hard to be polite at the dinner tableand not crunch on loud things around you.The biggest thing would be to teach them that they're not bad formaking the noises--it's you who is bothered by the noises, and that ithurts you to hear the really bad ones. That way they know that there'snothing wrong with them, and that it's just a matter of beingrespectful and not wanting to hurt Mom.I think not explaining that from an early age could actually be anenvironmental factor in causing 4s; you let the children know thatthose sounds are bad and annoying and hurtful, and they'll startlooking for them

in other people. If they develop a hatred for thesounds because they relate them to you being angry with them, thatmight accelerate a case of 4s that was previously only genetic (andthat may never have shown itself in the first place).>> I just got my 5 month old to sleep for what will be a short nap. He> is still in a cradle in our bedroom, and we quickly learned that the> pulls on our furniture can't make any noise, or he wakes up. I had> been reading around about 4S this morning, so my brain naturally went> there with, "What if we are born with this, but we don't realize it> until later because our brains aren't mature enough to recognize> what's bothering

us?" When he was just over 3 months old, he slept> through a loud wedding reception! I don't actually remember when this> started for me. I know I had it in high school, but my mom reminded> me (when I was telling her about 4S) that my step-dad eats noisily. > It was then that I remembered I refused to eat with him and my> step-brother in middle school. Point is, I have no idea when mine> started. Maybe I've always had it?> > This led me to worrying about my children also inheriting/developing> 4S. I, obviously, don't want this for them, and I think mine is more> on the mild side, so I can only imagine it being worse (I think it> helps that I am not currently in the work force). > > My last concern is more immediate, and this is what's driving me to> work on an email to, first, Oprah, and then maybe NIH,

though I do> think the psychology field should be involved in a study. Anyway, my> oldest is almost 3, and his noises are starting to bother me. I found> myself on edge the other day, threatening to take a sucker from him if> he didn't stop crunching it. Obviously, a sucker is something he> doesn't need, but I wouldn't want to try to control a future situation> the same way with, say, his dinner. I don't want to get that feeling> toward my children. While my husband can understand (now that I know> I'm not alone & not crazy), it will be a while before my kids can, and> I don't want them to feel they are at fault for my seemingly> irrational behavior to normal noises.>------------------------------------PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL GROUP AND NO MESSAGES ARE TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF THE

YAHOO GROUP MEMBERSHIP SITE OR REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND MAILED FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALSO DO NOT SHARE MEMBER EMAIL ADDRESSES OR NAMES WITH ANYONE.Thank you. MJ