RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: 4s and OCD

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Darlene, your bird's squawk is your biggest trigger? How do you deal with that? If it was a person I guess you could have some control but...your bird? I think I would throw a shoe at it every time ;o) You are a strong woman!I find the anticipation anxiety much worse when I've been around many triggers...maybe you're around them all the time and are constantly anticipating when the next will come? That's torture...Love,andraFrom: Darlene

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:37:23 AMSubject: Re: 4s and OCDHi ! Thank you for your insight. LOL, no I don't think youhave OCD either! Having both, I can see many similarities between OCDand 4S but I don't think 4S 'is' OCD... otherwise, I would have been'fixed' 7 years ago when I started meds for my OCD. I wish it was OCDtoo!I was wondering something... you stated that you often forget howanxious eating noises make you until right before you sit down at thetable. So do you mean that you generally go through your day withoutanticipating the noises too much until they actually occur? I wasjust curious because with me, I think that

is where my OCD comes intoplay.... I will worry repetitively about hearing the noises eventhough they 'might' not happen and often times don't. I find myselftip-toeing around the house to avoid making any noise so that my birdwon't squawk (biggest trigger). There are days occasionally where thesounds aren't too bad (number of times they happen) but I find myselfsick just from all the anticipating. Jeez. I never knew if this wasjust part of 4S or if it was my OCD.>> I have 4s and I don't have ocd. Here is a list of all the things that> I am "obsessive" about: eating noises, tv noises, breathing noises,> sniffing, toothbrush noises, mouse and blackberry "clicking".> > Here

is a list of all the things I am non-obsessive about: cleaning,> personal hygiene, staying organized, my schedule, money, spelling,> everything in my life beside noise.> > Really seriously I would love for this to be ocd. Just give me the> strongest ocd pill ever invented and my symptoms will be significantly> controlled or better right ?> > I wish.> > Apparently many 4s sufferers have ocd. I however, outside of noise> issues am quite non ocd. Even with the noise issues it is not uncommon> for me to forget my earplugs, even to forget how anxious eating noises> make me until I literally 5 minutes from sitting down at the table. > > At my best I was fairly organized and very punctual but Martha > and Bree VanDeCamp were always distant fantasy goals. No one would> ever describe me like that. Now with two children, I pretty much

take> life one day at a time and while I don't qualify for "how clean is> your house" I still wouldn't want those ladies to visit. (it's pretty> normal to have an almost full load of dirty dishes to load by the time> I unload the dishwasher).> > I do like to wash my hands (once) after being away from the house or> pumping gasoline but I am easily distracted and forget sometimes.> > If I have ocd I suspect 90% of the population has it.> > I mean no disrespect to all of the people who suffer from 4s and ocd.> I just think I am not one of them.>------------------------------------PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL GROUP AND NO MESSAGES ARE TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF THE YAHOO GROUP MEMBERSHIP SITE OR REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND MAILED FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALSO DO NOT SHARE MEMBER EMAIL ADDRESSES OR NAMES WITH

ANYONE.Thank you. MJ

Hi Darlene,

I have two lovebirds and fortunately, I love the way they sound. Based on my knowledge of birds I would like to make a suggestion that could solve the problem for you. Is your husband's bird a parrot? Do you have blue jays in your area? The thing about parrots is that they are known for imitating the sounds around them and what they imitate can change based on what they are exposed to. Some of my lovebird's favorite creatures to imitate are cardinals and squirrels. I definitely notice the difference in the sounds they make when they have been at my mothers house for a couple of weeks and I get them back.

I would suggest that you play a CD of bird sounds that you like for your husband's pet on a regular basis. Also anything you can do to reduce or eliminate exposure to blue jay or other squawking birds may help as she may literally be imitating what she hears outside.

I hope this helps!

Sonya

PS--andria--I agree about the anticipatory anxiety--it is difficult to be vigilantly awaiting the next time I encounter gum chewing.

-----Original Message-----From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ]On Behalf Of DarleneSent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:18 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: 4s and OCD

LOL andra! I like the "throw a shoe" at the bird idea ;)Eating and gum popping have always been my biggest triggers but this bird (husbands pet) for some reason really gets to me. She doesn't even squawk that much and all of her sounds I can tolerate but one... she sounds like a bluejay and it makes me so dang irrate! I can't figure it out at all why that bugs me? So strange. I cope by listening to my ipod a lot... otherwise I'd probably strangle her. That is what I hate about this condition is the thoughts it puts in my head. I love animals... LOVE them and I'd never hurt one, but sometimes I have the thought pass through my head that I'd like to feed the bird to the cat ;) Don't worry I won't. LOL. >> Darlene, your bird's squawk is your biggest trigger? How do you deal with that? If it was a person I guess you could have some control but...your bird? I think I would throw a shoe at it every time ;o) You are a strong woman!> > I find the anticipation anxiety much worse when I've been around many triggers...maybe you're around them all the time and are constantly anticipating when the next will come? That's torture...> > Love,> > andra> >