Guest guest

If all things go well next school year my 4yr.old(DS) girl will be

starting pre K at our local school. So far, her teacher and the other

members of the IEP team have been quite cooperative and have agreed to

read any books/information that I can give them to help them understand

her disability. I am also wanting to get a book that the teacher could

read to the class that would help them understand on 4 yr. old terms

about DS. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

If you want a book that is disability specific, I like " We'll Paint the Octopus Red"

Jill

Mom to Mac & Kit

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Reading suggestions

If all things go well next school year my 4yr.old(DS) girl will be starting pre K at our local school. So far, her teacher and the other members of the IEP team have been quite cooperative and have agreed to read any books/information that I can give them to help them understand her disability. I am also wanting to get a book that the teacher could read to the class that would help them understand on 4 yr. old terms about DS. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

I highly recommend you make your own! I hope Janet doesn't mind me sharing the great book she made about Silas for his class---go to this link click on 'view photobook' then you can see every page and the photos there too! The text is not copywrited, so you can basically copy it then personalize it to your child.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=183122be5198a809 & sid=2KcNm7huyfd

, Mom to 15, DS, Southern California"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!"-------Chas

Diagnosis Down Syndrome: A Site of Hope for New Parents or Parents with a Prenatal Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/What to Say to Parents of a Child with a Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/speech.html

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Reading suggestions

If all things go well next school year my 4yr.old(DS) girl will be starting pre K at our local school. So far, her teacher and the other members of the IEP team have been quite cooperative and have agreed to read any books/information that I can give them to help them understand her disability. I am also wanting to get a book that the teacher could read to the class that would help them understand on 4 yr. old terms about DS. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

I just want to say...that at age 4/5 the children in the classroom really don't see the Down syndrome. My two cents. I don't know if it is really necessary to have a book specific about Down syndrome. Then again my child who is 4 is in preschool. I love the book that was created on shutterfly. I think this could be duplicated easy enough and be more meaningful to have your childs picture in the book. Kindergarten is really all about "me". I know some parents have created information packets for the class and parents of classmates. I do think educating the teachers and family will help ease the transition. Remember families and teachers will really follow our lead and our attitude about Down syndorme. However, there always will be a few that will never get comfortable with it and that is okay

too.

I will have to take a peak at some of the picture books I have here at home. I know Odd Velvet is good. But I believe Lee Cutis has a book too that is good too. Note these are not about Down syndrome just differences.

Sherry

Mom to Evan(8), Olivia(7), and (4)*

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has

never tried anything new."--Albert Einstein

I read the book: Hi, I'm Ben to Emma's kindergarten class this year. I

thought that it was really good for younger kids.

Lorra

>

> If all things go well next school year my 4yr.old(DS) girl will be

> starting pre K at our local school. So far, her teacher and the other

> members of the IEP team have been quite cooperative and have agreed

to

> read any books/information that I can give them to help them

understand

> her disability. I am also wanting to get a book that the teacher

could

> read to the class that would help them understand on 4 yr. old terms

> about DS. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks