RemedySpot.com

RE: question about Gingko

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We saw results within a couple of weeks. Personally, I would “start

low and go slow” with the dosage. Keep her on that dose for a few weeks and see

if you notice any changes. But that is just my opinion. Danny was 8 when he

started taking gingko, and we started him on 60 mg.

DownSyndromeInfoExchange

[mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 2:53 PM

To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about Gingko

I just started my 4.5 yo daughter on Gingko (30

mg) today. For those of

you who use GB with their children, I'm curious as to how long it took

to see some positive effects. Also, is 30 mg enough? This is the first

supplement I've tried with her other than typical vitamins, so I'm a

bit nervous. Thanks for any advice!

My first piece of advice is that if you have not already, call your pediatrician, check in with him/her now about the ginkgo. Freddie is 7 and 72 pounds. He is on 60 mgs of GinkgoGold. We saw changes with in 4-6 weeks. Earlier I would say but I can't be sure. Flickers of changes at 1 week. His growth was in memory recall, recalling places and directions (car) and language jumps in the area of new words and concepts. Remember if your child has surgery anytime soon you should take her off the ginkgo at least two weeks prior to surgery.

Good luck!

nna

Mommy to Freddie 7yrsFull Inclusion 1st Grade"We can change the world one classroom at a time" - Gail on

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about GingkoTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:52 AM

I just started my 4.5 yo daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of you who use GB with their children, I'm curious as to how long it took to see some positive effects. Also, is 30 mg enough? This is the first supplement I've tried with her other than typical vitamins, so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks for any advice!

Has anyone else noticed their kid having a growth spurt after

starting Gingko? Danny grew a couple of inches…probably just coincidental…just

curious if it happened to anyone else.

DownSyndromeInfoExchange

[mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of Freddies

Mommy

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 5:02 PM

Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about Gingko

My first piece of advice is that if you have not already,

call your pediatrician, check in with him/her now about the ginkgo. Freddie

is 7 and 72 pounds. He is on 60 mgs of GinkgoGold. We saw changes with in 4-6

weeks. Earlier I would say but I can't be sure. Flickers of changes at 1

week. His growth was in memory recall, recalling places and directions (car)

and language jumps in the area of new words and

concepts. Remember if your child has surgery anytime soon you

should take her off the ginkgo at least two weeks prior to surgery.

Good luck!

nna

Mommy to Freddie 7yrs

Full Inclusion 1st Grade

" We can change the world one classroom at a time " - Gail on

Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:52 AM

I just started my 4.5 yo

daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of

Ive really considered giving Syd Ginkgo but am just afraid of any side

effects L I don’t know

what or how much….which kind? You

know the general…at 48lbs did I read

that 120mg would be approp?

~Angie~

http://www.iGive.com/sydnies1soldiers

~~DREAM BIG~~

An extra little

chromosome,

that's

all it is, you see.

Where

all of you were born with two,

She was

blessed with three.

From: DownSyndromeInfoExchange [mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of Freddies Mommy

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008

5:02 PM

Subject: Re:

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about Gingko

My first piece of advice is that if you have not

already, call your pediatrician, check in with him/her now about the ginkgo.

Freddie is 7 and 72 pounds. He is on 60 mgs of GinkgoGold. We saw changes

with in 4-6 weeks. Earlier I would say but I can't be sure. Flickers of

changes at 1 week. His growth was in memory recall, recalling places and

directions (car) and language jumps in the area of new words and

Good luck!

nna

Mommy to Freddie 7yrs

Full Inclusion 1st Grade

" We can change the world one classroom at a time " - Gail on

<e.rondeau>

I just started my 4.5

yo daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 081203-0, 12/03/2008Tested on: 12/3/2008 5:29:14 PMavast! - copyright © 1988-2008 ALWIL Software.

Does weight count as growth? Tee hee hee!

Then yes.......I would say about 6 pounds.nnaMommy to Freddie 7yrsFull Inclusion 1st Grade"We can change the world one classroom at a time" - Gail on

From: <e.rondeaucox (DOT) net>Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] question about GingkoTo: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.comDate: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:52 AM

I just started my 4.5 yo daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of you who use GB with their children, I'm curious as to how long it took to see some positive effects. Also, is 30 mg enough? This is the first supplement I've tried with her other than typical vitamins, so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks for any advice!

My son, Reece is on 60mg of Ginko. He is 3 1/2 yrs old. We saw results within a week. He started babbling a lot more, increase in fine and gross motor skills (we believe from remembering patterns). Reece used to be real quiet, now we can't even taken him to a restaurant because he's babbling so much and so loud! hahaha!

Judy

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about GingkoTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:52 AM

So do you think the non-stop chatter is Gingko?? Kit goes through periods where her non-stop chatter is overwhelming and extremely irritating--church, trying to work with Mac on his homework, when I'm on the phone, when we have visitors and are trying to carry on a conversation. I"m not sure it is Gingko related or not as it has happened when she's been on the Gingko and off. She has been on and off the Gingko this year. January 2008, she was 6.5 and weighed about 35 lbs, we started her on 60 mg. a day. I didn't notice any significant changes, however, at school within 3 weeks of starting the Gingko her "bad" behaviors began to escalate. I'm not convinced it was due to the Gingko but because that was the only change during that time I took her off of it. Her behaviors didn't drastically improve. About a month ago, I started her on the 60 mg again. I still have not noticed any significant changes. Her behaviors continue to be a deterrent to her schooling and most every thing. She is VERY active along with very defiant. I was hoping that maybe the Gingko would help those things, too. So far no major changes either in her abilities, cognition, or behavior. I'm not saying there haven't been any--just not outright noticeable to me. I don't think anything has gotten worse, so I may try and increase it and see how she does. She is now 7 and up to about 41 lbs. We are still working with our family dr. on trying various medication to help with her behaviors (ADHD or whatever). Saturday I'm going to start her on Focalin...anyone had any luck with that one for ADHD type behaviors? We've been on Methadate, Concerta, Proponolol and Clonodine this school year already. None have had any positive impact. Maybe the 5th med will be the charm--at least to take the edge off. I know no medicine is going to "fix" her behaviors and that is what I keep telling the school...it is a combination of meds and environment and while the drs. and I figure out the med situation (which could take years of trial and error), they need to focus NOW on the educational environment and ways to help her there through modifications/accommodations, behavioral supports, etc... I think we have a long road ahead of us.

Jill

Mom to Mac & Kit

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about GingkoTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:52 AM

:-0!!!I never put those two things together, but YES! She has been growing at a much faster rate the past year or so and everyone has noticed. She is actually growing out of her clothes each season. The only other time she has a had a growth spurt was with the SCD. Carol in ILMom to , 8 DS My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.Join our Down Syndrome information group - http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ DownSyndromeInfo Exchange/ http://downsyndromeinfoexchange.blogspot.com/Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusicFrom: Kathy Ratkiewicz To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:23:07 PMSubject: RE: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] question about Gingko

Has anyone else noticed their kid having a growth spurt after

starting Gingko? Danny grew a couple of inches…probably just coincidental…just

curious if it happened to anyone else.

DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.com

[mailto:DownSyndrom eInfoExchange@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Freddies

Mommy

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 5:02 PM

To: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.com

Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] question about Gingko

My first piece of advice is that if you have not already,

call your pediatrician, check in with him/her now about the ginkgo. Freddie

is 7 and 72 pounds. He is on 60 mgs of GinkgoGold. We saw changes with in 4-6

weeks. Earlier I would say but I can't be sure. Flickers of changes at 1

week. His growth was in memory recall, recalling places and directions (car)

and language jumps in the area of new words and

Good luck!

nna

Mommy to Freddie 7yrs

Full Inclusion 1st Grade

"We can change the world one classroom at a time" - Gail on

<e.rondeaucox (DOT) net>

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] question about Gingko

To: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.com

I just started my 4.5 yo

daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of

My son was 13 months when we started him on Ginkgo. He weighed about 25 lbs so we started him on 60 mg. We noticed a difference almost instantly. For example, when we called his name - he turned his head very quickly (before there was always a slight delay from the time he was called and the time he turned). On the 3rd day he finally clapped his hands - we had worked and worked on this. On the 5th day when I went to get him from his nap, he was STANDING IN HIS BED (this was a child that did not even creep or crawl AT ALL previously)! He also picked up a ball using both hands for the first time. The list goes on and on. The biggest challenge with the Ginkgo is the taste. The best "trick" I've found is to grind it up and put it in a small amount of applesauce mixed with sugar, cinnamon, and cereal. I feed it to him first thing in the AM when he's hungry.

>> I just started my 4.5 yo daughter on Gingko (30 mg) today. For those of > you who use GB with their children, I'm curious as to how long it took > to see some positive effects. Also, is 30 mg enough? This is the first > supplement I've tried with her other than typical vitamins, so I'm a > bit nervous. Thanks for any advice!>