Rate this topic

Guest guest

tormentauk: Welcome! You're story made me cry because it is

practically identical to mine. The only difference is mine started

around 12. The sounds you listed are exact to mine. The fact it

was " all of a sudden " is the same as me. Love animals but hate to

hear them lick... I have two dogs of my own (my kids) and their paw

licking drives me bonkers! I can't imagine how hard that must be to

give up your dog which proves how harsh this condition is on people.

You sacrifice things you love just to keep your sanity! I also

thought I was a freak of nature until I started searching for answers

too. It is nice to know you are not alone. It's amazing to me how

similar everyone's stories are when they first tell the. It's like

we are all identical twins or something!! Welcome to the group... I

hope you will find some answers here!

Darlene

>

> My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as much

> as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as

this

> problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I was

> about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with

people

> eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1

> younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my

> family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I

confined

> myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the

dining

> room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child

> psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a cleaning

> rota for the family!!!

>

> The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger

> sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people eating,

> chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore),

> swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are

probably

> more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my fingers

> in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing

> things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I would

> lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I got

> older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being

> interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing. Over

> the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious

but

> there are certain people I cannot bear to be around when they're

> eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this

> problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically making

me

> miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come

across

> anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation I

> found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not wanting to self

diagnose

> I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.

>

> I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do

> a " good " thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can

imagine

> how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at home

> all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with him

> licking himself or smacking his lips. What kills me the most is

that

> I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short

space

> of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for him

> is going to allow me to live " normally " inside my own house so

today

> I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never smacked

him

> or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a

nervous

> wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think

> that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem

> even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that there

> are so many others that are going through the same as me, not that

> I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so isolated

> and feel that these groups can help to deal with this problem.

>

Thanks Darlene, I'm glad I found this group. I've just been looking

at the polls and the fact that my answers fall within the majority is

an eye opener in itself. I honestly don't know how you cope having

dogs around you all the time. Mine is sleeping at my feet but of

course I'm sat here with earplugs in and the TV is on just so that he

can be around me and not sat outside on his own. I wish I could

somehow manage to tolerate it like you seem to have learned to but I

think that's a way off for me. Thanks for welcoming me and to

everyone else who has written in so far telling their own story.

xx

> >

> > My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as

much

> > as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as

> this

> > problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I

was

> > about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with

> people

> > eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1

> > younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my

> > family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I

> confined

> > myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the

> dining

> > room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child

> > psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a

cleaning

> > rota for the family!!!

> >

> > The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger

> > sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people

eating,

> > chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore),

> > swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are

> probably

> > more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my

fingers

> > in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing

> > things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I would

> > lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I

got

> > older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being

> > interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing.

Over

> > the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious

> but

> > there are certain people I cannot bear to be around when they're

> > eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this

> > problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically

making

> me

> > miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come

> across

> > anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation

I

> > found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not wanting to self

> diagnose

> > I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.

> >

> > I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do

> > a " good " thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can

> imagine

> > how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at

home

> > all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with

him

> > licking himself or smacking his lips. What kills me the most is

> that

> > I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short

> space

> > of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for

him

> > is going to allow me to live " normally " inside my own house so

> today

> > I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never smacked

> him

> > or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a

> nervous

> > wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think

> > that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem

> > even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that

there

> > are so many others that are going through the same as me, not

that

> > I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so

isolated

> > and feel that these groups can help to deal with this problem.

> >

>

tormentauk...The sad thing is that my dog is the only one that I can stand to be around on a regular basis. Yes he licks his paws but all I have to do is tell him to stop and he will stop. He's a great dog and a great friend.

My daughter just moved out as she's now going to school. Because of this I now have the whole house to myself. Also I don't have much company over because I like my quiet time. If I want to see someone I just go over to their place. That way if I need to escape I can. It's just me and the dog and that's OK. Although it would be nice to have someone in my life again. Because of this problem it makes it next to impossible. I don't know how others with this problem can have a relationship and live in the same house. I would need two houses.

Subject: Re: My Own Personal HellTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks Darlene, I'm glad I found this group. I've just been looking at the polls and the fact that my answers fall within the majority is an eye opener in itself. I honestly don't know how you cope having dogs around you all the time. Mine is sleeping at my feet but of course I'm sat here with earplugs in and the TV is on just so that he can be around me and not sat outside on his own. I wish I could somehow manage to tolerate it like you seem to have learned to but I think that's a way off for me. Thanks for welcoming me and to everyone else who has written in so far telling their own story. xx> >> > My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as much > > as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as > this > > problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I was > > about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with > people > > eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1 > > younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my > > family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I > confined > > myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the > dining > > room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child > > psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a cleaning > > rota for the family!!! > >

> > The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger > > sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people eating, > > chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore), > > swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are > probably > > more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my fingers > > in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing > > things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I would > > lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I got > > older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being > > interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing. Over > > the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious > but > > there are certain people I

cannot bear to be around when they're > > eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this > > problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically making > me > > miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come > across > > anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation I > > found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not wanting to self > diagnose > > I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.> > > > I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do > > a "good" thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can > imagine > > how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at home > > all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with him > > licking himself or smacking his lips.

What kills me the most is > that > > I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short > space > > of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for him > > is going to allow me to live "normally" inside my own house so > today > > I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never smacked > him > > or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a > nervous > > wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think > > that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem > > even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that there > > are so many others that are going through the same as me, not that > > I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so isolated > > and feel that these groups can help to deal

with this problem.> >>

Hi,I had a pug and I remember her eating and snoring used to drive me crazy. I used to yell at her while she was eating to stop making those horrid noises. I used to also wake her up when she was snoring (though she would usually just quickly fall back asleep and continue to snore!)Welcome to the group :o)Love,andraTo: Soundsensitivity Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:30:31 AMSubject: My Own Personal Hell

My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as much as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as this problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I was about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with people eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1 younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I confined myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the dining room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a cleaning rota for the family!!! The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people eating, chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore), swallowing

loudly and animals licking themselves. There are probably more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my fingers in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I would lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I got older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing. Over the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious but there are certain people I cannot bear to be around when they're eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically making me miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come across anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation I found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not

wanting to self diagnose I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do a "good" thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can imagine how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at home all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with him licking himself or smacking his lips. What kills me the most is that I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short space of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for him is going to allow me to live "normally" inside my own house so today I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never smacked him or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a nervous wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem even if it

doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that there are so many others that are going through the same as me, not that I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so isolated and feel that these groups can help to deal with this problem.------------------------------------PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL GROUP AND NO MESSAGES ARE TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF THE YAHOO GROUP MEMBERSHIP SITE OR REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND MAILED FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALSO DO NOT SHARE MEMBER EMAIL ADDRESSES OR NAMES WITH ANYONE.Thank you. MJ

, I think the only reason I can tolerate my dogs is because I

have had them for 8 years and their sounds never used to bother me

until about a year ago. Actually, they never licked like this until

about a year ago... they have horrid allergies where we live now. So

I guess I can't say whether the noise would have bugged me sooner if

they licked when I had got them. But I am sooooooo attached after 8

years as you can imagine. So, I just plop my ipod on when they have

their licking session. LOL. Plus, I give them meds now for allergies

which helps a lot. And I try, try, try, to tell myself that they are

dogs, and are not making these sounds to irritate me which they aren't.

I honestly don't know how you cope having

> dogs around you all the time. Mine is sleeping at my feet but of

> course I'm sat here with earplugs in and the TV is on just so that he

> can be around me and not sat outside on his own. I wish I could

> somehow manage to tolerate it like you seem to have learned to but I

> think that's a way off for me.

Hi ,I also feel fortunate that I spend much time at home alone and don't have people over. I'm not working at the moment and family lives close to us so I feel fortunate to be able to not feel forced to be around triggers should I not want to. I wish everyone suffering from this had the opportunity to isolate themselves when they needed to. it really does make a huge difference. I just got back from spending 2 months with my family and now I feel like I have adrenal fatigue...I just feel so tired and exhausted all the time. Those 2 months of constantly feeling tortured and adrenalin running through my body really did me in.I live with my fiance and luckily he is the only person I know who doesn't do anything that triggers the 4s

condition/response. I still don't understand this since he can be quite a noisy eater but for some strange reason NOTHING that he does ever bothers me...very strange.You are very fortunate that your dog listens to you. I had a really loud snoring/breathing dog and she drove me CRAZY.Have a great Holiday Season,andraTo: Soundsensitivity Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:48:13 AMSubject: Re: Re: My Own Personal Hell

tormentauk...The sad thing is that my dog is the only one that I can stand to be around on a regular basis. Yes he licks his paws but all I have to do is tell him to stop and he will stop. He's a great dog and a great friend.

My daughter just moved out as she's now going to school. Because of this I now have the whole house to myself. Also I don't have much company over because I like my quiet time. If I want to see someone I just go over to their place. That way if I need to escape I can. It's just me and the dog and that's OK. Although it would be nice to have someone in my life again. Because of this problem it makes it next to impossible. I don't know how others with this problem can have a relationship and live in the same house. I would need two houses.

Subject: Re: My Own Personal HellTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks Darlene, I'm glad I found this group. I've just been looking at the polls and the fact that my answers fall within the majority is an eye opener in itself. I honestly don't know how you cope having dogs around you all the time. Mine is sleeping at my feet but of course I'm sat here with earplugs in and the TV is on just so that he can be around me and not sat outside on his own. I wish I could somehow manage to tolerate it like you seem to have learned to but I think that's a way off for me. Thanks for welcoming me and to everyone else who has written in so far telling their own story. xx> >> > My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as much > > as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as > this > > problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I was > > about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with > people > > eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1 > > younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my > > family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I > confined > > myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the > dining > > room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child > > psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a cleaning > > rota for the family!!! > >

> > The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger > > sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people eating, > > chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore), > > swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are > probably > > more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my fingers > > in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing > > things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I would > > lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I got > > older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being > > interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing. Over > > the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious > but > > there are certain people I

cannot bear to be around when they're > > eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this > > problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically making > me > > miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come > across > > anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation I > > found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not wanting to self > diagnose > > I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.> > > > I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do > > a "good" thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can > imagine > > how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at home > > all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with him > > licking himself or smacking his lips.

What kills me the most is > that > > I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short > space > > of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for him > > is going to allow me to live "normally" inside my own house so > today > > I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never smacked > him > > or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a > nervous > > wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think > > that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem > > even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that there > > are so many others that are going through the same as me, not that > > I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so isolated > > and feel that these groups can help to deal

with this problem.> >>

I guess that's a bit different then. At the moment I feel so trapped

though having to put plugs in my ears so as not to hear him and

obviously it's not his fault so I can't exactly tell him off for

doing something that's only natural to him. It's strange that their

noise has only gotten to you in the last year after having them for

so long.

> I honestly don't know how you cope having

> > dogs around you all the time. Mine is sleeping at my feet but of

> > course I'm sat here with earplugs in and the TV is on just so

that he

> > can be around me and not sat outside on his own. I wish I could

> > somehow manage to tolerate it like you seem to have learned to

but I

> > think that's a way off for me.

>

The funny thing is that I am perfectly fine in my own company too. I

am a sociable person but I can go days without the need to be with

other people. A lot of the time I feel on edge mainly because I'm

just waiting for them to do something that gets to me. I live alone

and I'm happy like that. The person I had a long relationship did not

bother me at all to start with but after 2 1/2 years his eating would

get on my nerves. Sometimes I'd want to punch him in his head

wondering why the hell he can't hear how noisy he's being (I never

did though!!. The thing is that even though I would want to find that

special person, at the back of my head I think that I could make his

life miserable which stops me from really going ahead with anything.

> > >

> > > My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as

> much

> > > as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy

as

> > this

> > > problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I

> was

> > > about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with

> > people

> > > eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1

> > > younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with

my

> > > family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I

> > confined

> > > myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the

> > dining

> > > room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child

> > > psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a

> cleaning

> > > rota for the family!!!

> > >

> > > The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger

> > > sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people

> eating,

> > > chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also

snore),

> > > swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are

> > probably

> > > more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my

> fingers

> > > in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at

doing

> > > things with one hand as one finger would be in my ear and I

would

> > > lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I

> got

> > > older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being

> > > interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing.

> Over

> > > the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so

obvious

> > but

> > > there are certain people I cannot bear to be around when

they're

> > > eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously

this

> > > problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically

> making

> > me

> > > miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come

> > across

> > > anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of

investigation

> I

> > > found out that I suffer from misophonia. Not wanting to self

> > diagnose

> > > I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.

> > >

> > > I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do

> > > a " good " thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can

> > imagine

> > > how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at

> home

> > > all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with

> him

> > > licking himself or smacking his lips. What kills me the most is

> > that

> > > I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short

> > space

> > > of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for

> him

> > > is going to allow me to live " normally " inside my own house so

> > today

> > > I have decided to find a good home for him. I have never

smacked

> > him

> > > or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a

> > nervous

> > > wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me

think

> > > that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this

problem

> > > even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that

> there

> > > are so many others that are going through the same as me, not

> that

> > > I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so

> isolated

> > > and feel that these groups can help to deal with this problem.

> > >

> >

>

Hi ,I'm the same way. When my boyfriend is traveling I can spend weeks at home alone without seeing anyone and I am perfectly happy. In fact I love being alone :o) I think to some extent I need it so that I don't go crazy. If I spend too much time with people around me I start getting really edgy, anxious, frustrated and just want people to go away and stop looking at me.I used to feel very similar, like I would never be able to be with a relationship because of the noises. I have isolated myself all my life from absolutely everyone and I have never had one person not bother me. Thank God, the relationship that I have I've never had a problem with. I think the fact that I am in love, comfortable and intimate (physically

and emotionally) with my boyfriend makes a difference. The noises for me cause me to feel very sexually violated...by that person...I'm intimate with my boyfriend so I have a comfort level there. I think this helps in his noises not bothering me. I hope that this will also be the case for you. Do you speak with those people that cause the trigger noises and let them know how you feel? If you do, does that help? I speak to my bf all the time about it and it helps me immensely (with him that is). Did you notice that your relationship with your boyfriend started to deteriorate BEFORE his noises began bothering you? This is why they may have started to be triggers...he may just not have been the right person. If you went 2.5 years with his noises not being a problem that says A LOT. You may just started to fall out of love with him and begin to create emotional walls around you and no longer have

felt comfortable intimately with him and that's when the triggers begin. That happens to me so I know how that feels. I have been with my bf now for almost 4 years with no problem but we are also very much in love and comfortable with one another. In your case, it may just not have been the right person. Don't stress over it ...I really think that because of the tolerance you have shown in your past relationship when you do find the right person, you will not have a problem.Many of the noises that we all react to can be very sexual noises. I would be interested to see how many of us respond to these noises when we are being intimate with our partners.Happy Holidays everyone!!!Love,andraTo: Soundsensitivity Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:07:13 AMSubject: Re: My Own Personal Hell

The funny thing is that I am perfectly fine in my own company too. I am a sociable person but I can go days without the need to be with other people. A lot of the time I feel on edge mainly because I'm just waiting for them to do something that gets to me. I live alone and I'm happy like that. The person I had a long relationship did not bother me at all to start with but after 2 1/2 years his eating would get on my nerves. Sometimes I'd want to punch him in his head wondering why the hell he can't hear how noisy he's being (I never did though!!. The thing is that even though I would want to find that special person, at the back of my head I think that I could make his life miserable which stops me from really going ahead with anything.> > >> > > My story is rather a long one so I'll try and break it down as > much > > > as possible so as not to bore. The beginning is a bit sketchy as > > this > > > problem emerged when I was only 5 years old. My dad left when I > was > > > about 4 1/2 years old and according to my mum, my issues with > > people > > > eating began very soon after. I have 3 older sisters and and 1 > > > younger. All of a sudden it was unbearable for me to eat with my > > > family because of the noise they made chewing. In the end, I

> > confined > > > myself to the kitchen while the rest of the family ate in the > > dining > > > room. They couldn't understand it so my mum took me to a child > > > psycologist, not that it did any good. Her solution was a > cleaning > > > rota for the family!!! > > > > > > The problem grew increasingly worse especially where my younger > > > sister is concerned and I cannot stand the sound of people > eating, > > > chewing gum, breathing heavily, snoring (ironic as I also snore), > > > swallowing loudly and animals licking themselves. There are > > probably > > > more that at this moment I can't think of. I would stick my > fingers > > > in my ears so as not to hear them and became quite good at doing > > > things with one hand as one

finger would be in my ear and I would > > > lower my head to my shoulder so as to cover the other ear. As I > got > > > older it became apparant that I couldn't do that without being > > > interrogated by people who wondered what on earth I was doing. > Over > > > the years I have tried to become more tolerant or not so obvious > > but > > > there are certain people I cannot bear to be around when they're > > > eating so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Obviously this > > > problem is interfering and disrupting my life and basically > making > > me > > > miserable. I thought I was a freak of nature as I'd never come > > across > > > anybody with the same problem as me. After a bit of investigation > I > > > found out that I suffer from

misophonia. Not wanting to self > > diagnose > > > I am going to try and get counselling in order to improve.> > > > > > I foolishly thought I had gotten a lot better and decided to do > > > a "good" thing and rescue a dog from my local pound. You can > > imagine > > > how much I regret doing that as I am now wearing ear plugs at > home > > > all the time to avoid the frustration of having to put up with > him > > > licking himself or smacking his lips. What kills me the most is > > that > > > I love animals and have grown so attached to my dog in a short > > space > > > of time but I am going out of my mind and no amount of love for > him > > > is going to allow me to live "normally" inside my own house so > > today > > > I have decided to

find a good home for him. I have never smacked > > him > > > or anything but unfortunately his noise is turning me into a > > nervous > > > wreck and a ball of nerves. This is what has really made me think > > > that I need some type of therapy to at least relieve this problem > > > even if it doesn't totally disappear. I am glad to know that > there > > > are so many others that are going through the same as me, not > that > > > I'm glad you have the same issues but now I don't feel so > isolated > > > and feel that these groups can help to deal with this problem.> > >> >>------------------------------------PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL GROUP AND NO MESSAGES ARE TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF THE YAHOO GROUP MEMBERSHIP SITE OR

REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND MAILED FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALSO DO NOT SHARE MEMBER EMAIL ADDRESSES OR NAMES WITH ANYONE.Thank you. MJ