RemedySpot.com

Re: Autism school and Summer activities-Houston

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Cross Point Church in Katy at I-10/Westgreen has summer camps that run June, July and August all day or half day. There are art, science and sports classes. My son did their art camp for 2 weeks and loved it. I hired a shadow to attend with him and his teacher told me she felt he didn't need one but for my comfort I hired one anyway and my son and the other kids thought the shadow was the teacher's aide. I saw a few other special needs children who attended without shadows.

In 2007 my son attended a special needs camp called Super Place Camp at Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church that met from 9:00 to 1:00 that was very nice too, they had so many volunteers that my son was so spoiled (in 2008 this camp was held at Tallowood Baptist Church). In 2006 my son attended summer camp at Briarwood School and loved it but that school hasn't held its summer camp for the last two years because it's undergoing major renovation so I don't know if they'll resume in '09.

For the last two years Ingrid Monroy publishes 'Mikey's Guide To Summer Camps and Activities for Children with Disabilities' you might want to contact her and ask for the guide as soon as the 3rd edition is published. Her website is: www.mikeysplace.net her email address is: ingrid@...

Here are a few other camps I've heard of but haven't tried:

Camp Acorn at The Parish School in Houston, (my son did their social skills summer class and liked it)

Camp Barnabas Texas in Pinehurst,

Camp CAMP in Center Point,

Camp for All, in Burton,

Charis Hills in Ingram,

Elks Camp near Luling,

Monarch School in Houston,

River Oaks Academy in Houston,

The River Performing and Visual Arts Center in Houston, (my son did their music therapy class and absolutely loved it)

Heart of Sailing I think they will be doing day sails out of Portofino Harbour Marina, Kemah (I don't think it was damaged in Ike??)

K2 Academy of Kids Sports in NW Houston,

Jewish Community Center has a lot of activities usually planned as well, , Bishop-Director of Special Needs

Hope the info helps with your planning, it's never too early to start as early as possible.CReeceNew year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.

Heart of Sailing is in great shape. The sailboats( of the volunteer captains) that had any damage were fixed. We LOVE Captain Dave and my son has become quite the sailor! If you have not experienced a sail with them, it's not to be missed. We've had several sails... the last one was after Ike and they are awesome! Please remember they do this for nothing and have costs, so remember to make a donation to keep their personal expenses down. I think they start up again as soon as it is warm enough to go. Truly, Dave is an amazing man with a heart of gold!

Fran

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

Think Autism.Think Cure.

Subject: Re: Autism school and Summer activities-HoustonTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 12:27 PM

Cross Point Church in Katy at I-10/Westgreen has summer camps that run June, July and August all day or half day. There are art, science and sports classes. My son did their art camp for 2 weeks and loved it. I hired a shadow to attend with him and his teacher told me she felt he didn't need one but for my comfort I hired one anyway and my son and the other kids thought the shadow was the teacher's aide. I saw a few other special needs children who attended without shadows.

In 2007 my son attended a special needs camp called Super Place Camp at Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church that met from 9:00 to 1:00 that was very nice too, they had so many volunteers that my son was so spoiled (in 2008 this camp was held at Tallowood Baptist Church). In 2006 my son attended summer camp at Briarwood School and loved it but that school hasn't held its summer camp for the last two years because it's undergoing major renovation so I don't know if they'll resume in '09.

For the last two years Ingrid Monroy publishes 'Mikey's Guide To Summer Camps and Activities for Children with Disabilities' you might want to contact her and ask for the guide as soon as the 3rd edition is published. Her website is: www.mikeysplace. net her email address is: ingridmikeysplace (DOT) net

Here are a few other camps I've heard of but haven't tried:

Camp Acorn at The Parish School in Houston, (my son did their social skills summer class and liked it)

Camp Barnabas Texas in Pinehurst,

Camp CAMP in Center Point,

Camp for All, in Burton,

Charis Hills in Ingram,

Elks Camp near Luling,

Monarch School in Houston,

River Oaks Academy in Houston,

The River Performing and Visual Arts Center in Houston, (my son did their music therapy class and absolutely loved it)

Heart of Sailing I think they will be doing day sails out of Portofino Harbour Marina, Kemah (I don't think it was damaged in Ike??)

K2 Academy of Kids Sports in NW Houston,

Jewish Community Center has a lot of activities usually planned as well, , Bishop-Director of Special Needs

Hope the info helps with your planning, it's never too early to start as early as possible.CReece

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.