RemedySpot.com

Re: Leg Jigglers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi andra,

From a very young age I had and issue that we referred to as my "attention" problem. When I was focused on watching TV, I could not stand anyone being in my line of vision and I did not like seeing any movement in my peripheral vision. Fortunately, this is one area that I have improved in and does not cause me too much grief. I do have other visuals though.

It is in fact interesting to interact with a person who also has 4S. I have such a friend that I met one year ago through our common audiologist. Most of the time we don't cause each other problems, but sometimes when we do, we respect each others decision whether or not to make a request to modify behavior. It is easier knowing that you can make such a request without having the other person react negatively. For example, she reminded me not to slurp my tea and I have asked her not to hum. She still hums around me sometimes which is fine--because there are times when I only find it mildly irritating--it depends on a lot of factors. I did notice that when we were eating once that the sound of my eating was bothering her--so I was more mindful and took breaks but I did not stop. I respected her right to make a request of me if she needed me to change anything else. I think it is good to get practice both in tolerating sounds and making requests in safe situations .

I have never tried EMDR, but my friend has and says she has had some success in alleviating anxiety.

Leg JigglersThey don't USUALLY make any sounds (unless they have keys or change in their pockets, or they're kicking a table or something).......but the leg jiggling causes the SAME response in me as offensive sounds....anxiety, anger, the need to look away/ escape (though it's not always possible)Anyone else have an aversion to leg jigglers?------------------------------------PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL GROUP AND NO MESSAGES ARE TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF THE YAHOO GROUP MEMBERSHIP SITE OR REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND MAILED FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALSO DO NOT SHARE MEMBER EMAIL ADDRESSES OR NAMES WITH ANYONE.Thank you. MJ

I have spent so much time behind cushions, you wouldn't believe!! Or maybe you would.

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:07:31 PMSubject: Re: Leg Jigglers

I had the same problem too. As a kid when family would watch TV and I of course was expected to too, I always had to put pillows up around me to block out the movements of all my family members, so I could focus on the TV set. Otherwise it would twist me up inside and make me extremely uncomfortable. To this day I still have to do the same thing. That is why I don't watch TV or movies much ever with anyone. So sad.