RemedySpot.com

Fw: Re:Hi. Question on Speech Evaluation. Feeling very frustrated...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I intended my response to go out to the group not just to the original poster...so here it is.

Question with his assessment did they also have you complete a parent inventory? If not the assessment may be soley based on what they observed and only reflect that one observation. I wouldn't put much in to it because as a parent we know our children much better. I also find that many of my sons language skills are very scattered so he may not check off a certain age group and look much more delayed in what he appears. In fact his goals at school are for a child 36 months in age and he hasn't met all of them but yet in many ways is cognitively functioning at his age...KWIM? He has age appropriate play skills and understands everything and anything...LOL!

Hang in there. I haven't used private speech therapy yet for . He turned 4 in September. I have to tell you that his speech is just taking off wonderfully and even though at times it seams to be such a slow development when I look at where he was at just several months ago I can see such a huge developmental leap. He is now finally parroting back speech...so I am much more inclined to begin private speech therapy. He is also talking in short sentences and has a large repertoire of phrases and a huge vocabulary.

Have you seen the handouts that are posted on NADS from the recent Fall conference? There are some great handouts with wonderful links that you may find helpful. I am finding that I am probably is best teacher and attending preschool 3 mornings a week with peer model students has been a very close second. Remember that expressive language (on average) for our children with Down syndrome is between ages 4-6 years old where typical developing children it is between 2-4 years old.

www.nads.org

Sherry

Mom to Evan(8), Olivia(7), and (4)*

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has

never tried anything new."--Albert Einstein