RemedySpot.com

Rickettsias and CFS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All

I mentioned a few days back that I felt Rickettsial infection was related to my CFS. Serendipity knows no bounds. I found this while searching "ADHD and misdiagnosis"

Regards

Windsor

Original Article

Rickettsioses in Australia

STEPHEN GRAVESaaAustralian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory, The Geelong Hospital, Geelong, 3220, Australia,

NATHAN UNSWORTHaaAustralian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory, The Geelong Hospital, Geelong, 3220, Australia, AND

JOHN STENOSaaAustralian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory, The Geelong Hospital, Geelong, 3220, Australia

aAustralian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory, The Geelong Hospital, Geelong, 3220, Australia

Address for correspondence: Dr Graves, Australian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory, The Geelong Hospital, PO BOX 281, Geelong, 3220. Voice: 61-2-4921-442; fax: 61-3-5226-3183. e-mail: .graves@...

Abstract

Abstract: Australia, an island continent in the southern hemisphere, has a range of rickettsial diseases that include typhus group rickettsiae (Rickettsia typhi), spotted fever group rickettsiae (R. australis, R. honei), scrub typhus group rickettsiae (R. tsutsugamushi), and Q fever (C. burnetii). Our knowledge of Australian rickettsiae is expanding with the recognition of an expanded range of R. honei (Flinders Island spotted fever) to Tasmania and southeastern mainland Australia (not just on Flinders Island), and the detection of a new SFG species (or subspecies), tentatively named "R. marmionii" in the eastern half of Australia. This rickettsia causes both acute disease (7 cases, recognized so far) and is also associated (as a "R. marmionii" bacteriaemia) with patients having a chronic illness. The significance of the latter is under investigation. It may be a marker of autoimmune disease or chronic fatigue in some patients.