RemedySpot.com

Exercise?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a question for this group?How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular exercise? As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would do something that would hurt her heart. Only now, have I discovered my foolishness. Was this you, too? Please tell here.I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant. There's more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.Warmest regards, Moe Webster http://www.jujuyouz.mobi "Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power within YOU!" "What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal law." ~Goethe

My son is now 27 and I did not know he was going to be DS. I HATE exercising so I did very little then and do very little now. He was always very busy and athletic and still is so he does not have a weight problem and is doing very well.

Shirley

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Saturday, December 27, 2008, 5:13 AM

I have a question for this group?How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular exercise? As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would do something that would hurt her heart. Only now, have I discovered my foolishness. Was this you, too? Please tell here.I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant. There's more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.Warmest regards, Moe Webster http://www.jujuyouz .mobi "Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power within YOU!" "What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal law." ~Goethe

Have you seen any youtube of BRAIN GYM? Exercise, esp yoga,

reconnects important brain structures, not just flopping the body

around. It's minimal exercise, smart movement, not cardio. But you

definitely answered my question. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnMkGvd3Qe0 & feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psX8n7KikLY & feature=related I LOVE

this lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq2POOCFWJo & feature=related Here's

brain gym combined with simple yoga postures.

>

>

> Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?

> To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange

> Date: Saturday, December 27, 2008, 5:13 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I have a question for this group?

>

> How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while

pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular

exercise?�

>

> As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST

of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would

do something that would hurt her heart.� Only now, have I discovered

my foolishness.� Was this you, too?� Please tell here.

>

> I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant.� There's

more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.

>

>

> Warmest regards,

> Moe Webster

>

> http://www.jujuyouz .mobi

> " Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power

within YOU! "

>

>

> " What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal

law. " ~Goethe

>

I am typically and active person. I don't sit much, love to garden and chase kids etc..... was a tough pg though, didn't know about the DS or the CHD, but I did spend the first and last part of it pretty much sitting down, though in between I cared for my mother and helped clean out her apartment after she died and in general was pretty active again. I never sleep with any pg's..... used to have a horrible time with sleep, but she is fine now too.As for , I learned about the connection between brain growth, exercise and new experiences very early and and have pursued it with her, despite her serious gross motor delays due to her heart issues. She swims, plays ball, does yoga, runs around outside a lot, exercises with cd's and the biggest help of all-

cheerleading! That has shown the most developmental growth of all and I think it's because it was so challenging for her. Her coach says the other parents mention their kids have grown a lot because of it and do better in other sports as well. It is fast paced and you have to be able to think fast to do it. I can't do it.....still. So I know it's been working her brain cells!!I very purposely get her involved in things that require physical type activity.I have also hooked her up to the iPod at night with hemi syncing stuff and also math drills... which didn't seem to help much with her math skills !! Though last night she started to count in her SLEEP!As for diet- she is on the SCD which is fruits, veggies and meats. She does cheat sometimes, and that includes chocolate. She gets lots of fish oil, CLO, gingko and I use Kirkman's vitamins along with Houston's enzymes at times. We have succesfully

gotten off the Prilosec too!!!! At least I think so.... GERD can sneak up on a person, so time wil tell. But for now, all is well. Carol in ILMom to , 8 DS My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.Join our Down Syndrome information group - http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ DownSyndromeInfo Exchange/ http://downsyndromeinfoexchange.blogspot.com/Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusicFrom: Moe Webster To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 11:13:51 PMSubject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise? I have a

question for this group?How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular exercise? As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would do something that would hurt her heart. Only now, have I discovered my foolishness. Was this you, too? Please tell here.I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant. There's more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.Warmest regards, Moe Webster http://www.jujuyouz .mobi "Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power within YOU!" "What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal law." ~Goethe

I did not get tested so we did not know about having DS ( sort of.. long story) till the day she was born.

I walked daily.. sun or snow.. two miles up until the day she was born at 39 weeks plus. ( she was due 9-11-05 and I had her 9-2-05) infact.. she was born about 6 hours after I completed my two mile walk.

Her heart was OK though.. no downs related holes.. just two that sometimes don't close right away. But they did close by day 30 PP and we were discharged from the Cardio as long as the pedi said all was good.

Recently I have been told she has a murmur. But most people in my family do. I asked our pedi if he wanted to have her re scanned but he did not think it would reveal anything the original scan did not.

Why didn't you sleep? Goodness sakes. I would have died without sleep. That said.. that is one reason I would refuse any testing with future kids. It would worry me to death. When God Told me she would have DS.. that was what I said.. that was the first thing that popped into my mind.. I was afraid she would die from ds heart related issue.. I said " Father, I can handle some retardation.. just let her live! " ... Yeah.. I know .. I could have phrased that better.. not to mention I was talking to the Lord.. but.. I was not expecting such a conversation that day :)

Steph

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?

I have a question for this group?How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular exercise? As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would do something that would hurt her heart. Only now, have I discovered my foolishness. Was this you, too? Please tell here.I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant. There's more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.Warmest regards, Moe Webster http://www.jujuyouz.mobi "Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power within YOU!" "What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal law." ~Goethe

I did not have "the tests" and didn't know would have DS. I did think about DS and talked about the possibility of DS, which I never did with any of my other pregnancies. I had a sense that we were about to go through a time of testing and that if we responded with acceptance and faith then God would be glorified through it. So, in a way, I did know... in my spirit... but wasn't certain that I was right. When my husband's mother became seriously ill, was hospitalized, got sicker, and passed away, 2 wks before was born, I assumed her illness and death was the trial I'd been given forewarning about and there wasn't going to be anything wrong with our baby. When he was born, we didn't know anything was wrong, at first. Hours after his birth, when we found out he had a

heart defect, we almost couldn't believe this was happening, but we had peace that he was in God's hands and would be alright. That they suspected he had DS was tacked on after we were told about his CHD and really didn't phase me at all.

My pregnancy with was not noticeably different than any of my other pregnancies. Except for the fact that I was older, so I was incredibly tired in the first trimester, and there were other indications that my body was a bit more stressed by being pregnant at age 44. Like an abscessed tooth that had to be pulled and a humdinger of a sinus infection that lasted for probably 6 weeks. The 2nd trimester was pretty good as far as energy level, so I think I was reasonably active. The 3rd trimester had the stress of my mother-in-law's illness, at least 3 long trips (torture), severe heartburn, and then our loved one's death. These stresses affected my activity level and also messed up my sleep.

Overall, the pattern of being less active and sleeping less is something that evolved gradually over the years. As our oldest daughters got to the age where they could handle more responsibilities, and I was always either pregnant or nursing a baby, I tended to home school, give orders, and parent from the rocking chair. Also, I got in the bad habit of staying up late at night, under the pretense of trying to get a little more done, but I never actually accomplished much, except to savor a bit of peace and quiet.

All the babies born after I was in the habit of keeping later hours were little "night owls". They wouldn't settle down for the night until 11 or 11:30 p.m. or midnight! So, was no exception. As an infant, we had to waken him a couple times a night for feedings, because he had issues with slow weight gain. Later on, he continued to waken at least once or twice a night. Nutrivene night formula never helped him to sleep through the night. Magna-Calm (Longevity Science) did seem to help some, but a 6 hr. stretch was about his max. Now, it is still between 11 p.m. and midnight till he is asleep, but he sleeps 8 or 9 hrs.! I think it has been the change in his diet that has made the biggest difference. We don't quite do the SCD diet, but we are pretty close to it.

With his heart issues, was a low energy baby. As he got older, and we got him started on Nutrivene, his energy level picked up. Now, he's an active toddler who's always getting into things. But it's probably not the kind of exercise that helps the growth of neurons. He walks around looking for mischief, he gets down on the floor and back up (dozens of times a day), he climbs on a chair, or spins in a circle until he falls down. But he isn't running or jumping or climbing stairs or riding a tricycle, except for one 30 min. session of PT each week where he practices these things using their equipment (which we don't have at home, can't afford, and don't have space for). I plan to apply for grant money to purchase an adapted tricycle for him. Even if it is approved, it may take awhile. I've thought of getting one of those mini tramps with a

handle--he can't jump yet. I sense that he does need something to help him become more focused because he is all over the place. Right now, he has 2 main focuses: getting more food and trashing the house!

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Saturday, December 27, 2008, 12:13 AM

I have a question for this group?How many mothers with babies with DS got enough exercise while pregnant or beyond, and how many kids with DS are getting regular exercise? As a parent of an infant with DS, I want to share that I spent MOST of my pregnancy with Maia in BED, because I was terrified that I would do something that would hurt her heart. Only now, have I discovered my foolishness. Was this you, too? Please tell here.I also want to say, I NEVER slept while I was pregnant. There's more to the sleep story, but I'm saving it for later.Warmest regards, Moe Webster http://www.jujuyouz .mobi "Comprehensive energetic coaching solutions utilizing the power within YOU!" "What we nurture in ourselves will grow; that is nature's eternal law." ~Goethe

Steph,

Did God speak to you about the DS in a dream? That is what happened to me. I saw Olivia - all wrapped in a pink blanket. I mean, I SAW her EXACT face before she was born! I woke up and told my husband that she has DS.

Carolyn

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!"

~ Chas

-- Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?

I did not get tested so we did not know about having DS ( sort of.. long story) till the day she was born.

I walked daily.. sun or snow.. two miles up until the day she was born at 39 weeks plus. ( she was due 9-11-05 and I had her 9-2-05) infact.. she was born about 6 hours after I completed my two mile walk.

Her heart was OK though.. no downs related holes.. just two that sometimes don't close right away. But they did close by day 30 PP and we were discharged from the Cardio as long as the pedi said all was good.

Recently I have been told she has a murmur. But most people in my family do. I asked our pedi if he wanted to have her re scanned but he did not think it would reveal anything the original scan did not.

Why didn't you sleep? Goodness sakes. I would have died without sleep. That said.. that is one reason I would refuse any testing with future kids. It would worry me to death. When God Told me she would have DS.. that was what I said.. that was the first thing that popped into my mind.. I was afraid she would die from ds heart related issue.. I said " Father, I can handle some retardation.. just let her live! " ... Yeah.. I know .. I could have phrased that better.. not to mention I was talking to the Lord.. but.. I was not expecting such a conversation that day :)

Steph

[DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Exercise?

Hi Carol,

I agree it can be challenging to find the right exercise that fits the

right people, esp in a diverse family. I like yoga, because it is

something that can be done as a family, like martial arts, too. What

Brain Gym shows is that crossing the midline in any movement

(including cheerleading) connects certain brain structures, and that's

the benefit to improving motor skills. Maia's heart surgery in Nov

slowed us all down, too.

As for supplements, I don't see them as extra. I seem them as

necessary. Because of her poor muscle tone, we massage her stomach

with a mugwort oil, externally, twice a week, in a clockwise motion.

We could probably do this more, as it relieves her discomfort and

produces more comfortable bowel movements. Since she's lacking fire

energy (heart), her bowels are very slow, in part because the muscle

tone is low. Massage increases circulation, and mugwort is very

warming for a cold system, so it's a win/win.

Also, I've used the liquid needles from DNR for the last 15 years, and

can't really live without the yellow needle spray for Maia, because it

relieves all her gas, bloating and discomfort from allergies that she

seems to have from her formula. If anyone wants to know about this

energy product, feel free to contact me offlist, since I know that

this list has restrictions on products. I'm a naturopath and my

background and training is in homeopathy, as well as other energy

products. It would appear that my entire life, I've been preparing to

be Maia's mother, in more ways than one.

And yes, the dark chocolate is definitely making a difference in her

energy levels and quality of sleep too. The dark chocolate that I'm

using is NOT commercial chocolate, which is devoid of the

epicatechins. Again, if anyone is interested in what I'm giving Maia,

you can contact me directly.

It's interesting that you mentioned hemisync, because one of the

modalities I use is computerized voice analysis, and specific

frequencies are created for the client based on their voice print.

They listen from the tone box. There's a lot of this sort of thing

all over the place. Here's an example of tones that you would listen

to, http://www.4shared.com/get/42829157/4b6508f0/DNA_REPAIR.html.

This is just a group of frequencies/tones that someone put together.

I don't know what the criteria for this one was, exactly, but they

call it DNA repair. I played it, and found it very calming. It would

be interesting what others thought of it. More of this at,

http://69.89.31.222/~thesoun6/.

I appreciate any feedback on kids with DS, on or offlist.

Thanks in advance,

Moe

>

> I am typically and active person. I don't sit much, love to garden

and chase kids etc..... was a tough pg though, didn't know

about the DS or the CHD, but I did spend the first and last part of it

pretty much sitting down, though in between I cared for my mother and

helped clean out her apartment after she died and in general was

pretty active again. I never sleep with any pg's..... used to

have a horrible time with sleep, but she is fine now too.

>

> As for , I learned about the connection between brain

growth, exercise and new experiences very early and and have pursued

it with her, despite her serious gross motor delays due to her heart

issues. She swims, plays ball, does yoga, runs around outside a lot,

exercises with cd's and the biggest help of all- cheerleading! That

has shown the most developmental growth of all and I think it's

because it was so challenging for her. Her coach says the other

parents mention their kids have grown a lot because of it and do

better in other sports as well. It is fast paced and you have to be

able to think fast to do it. I can't do it.....still. So I know it's

been working her brain cells!!

>

> I very purposely get her involved in things that require physical

type activity.

>

> I have also hooked her up to the iPod at night with hemi syncing

stuff and also math drills... which didn't seem to help much with her

math skills !! Though last night she started to count in her SLEEP!

>

>

> As for diet- she is on the SCD which is fruits, veggies and meats.

She does cheat sometimes, and that includes chocolate. She gets lots

of fish oil, CLO, gingko and I use Kirkman's vitamins along with

Houston's enzymes at times. We have succesfully gotten off the

Prilosec too!!!! At least I think so.... GERD can sneak up on a

person, so time wil tell. But for now, all is well.

>

> Carol in IL

> Mom to , 8 DS

>

>