> sensitivity.

***** I think this is a good idea, especially if it is causing

problems in the workplace. I think a quiet composed conversation is

best, without a lot of emotional content, think of presenting the fact

you have, say, serious diabetes or a retinal condition, and think of

the various work-related issues that might come up, i.e., need a

special diet at the parties to need better lighting or visual aids...4S

is a medical condition with symptoms and you can create a short list of

your concerns, i.e., in quiet situations, difficulty with gum chewers.

I would print out and take in some of the pages from my websites, just

1 or 2, and summarize what you are in need of, or what you need to do

to be comfortable. Also emphasize confidentiality with the boss and

encrouage questions.

I am concerned that somehow she will not understand and

> that will affect my job, although my performance has not declined and

> I don't have serious diffuclties I cannot handle. But I am still

> concerned. I waited and worked hard to obtain my current job, that I

> am afraid that this may affect me.

***I would emphasize that part. This meeting is about 'FYI' kind of

thing only, not a whining or complaining sessions, just an aside to

say, look, I would like you to know.......however, my work has been and

will be up to my usual excellent standards.

>

> What do you think?

>

> Waleska

>

**You are protected under the American Disabilities Act of 1999 however

as we all know, you can be fired for other things. So take it in small

steps and just keep it short and sweet, an FYI thing so she knows if

you get up and move at a meeting, there is a reason, not just being

weird.

Marsha JOhnson

• 1 year later...

Hmm... Maybe your'e on to something. I have had sinus problems all my life, back to my childhood (I'm sure growing up in a house full of heavy smokers and cat hair didn't help.) I finally had sinus surgery five years ago which helped lessen the symptoms.The nose and ears are "connected" somewhat in the head. Maybe there's a 4S connection.Subject: questionTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 3:30 PM

Just going out on a limb here..... has anyone experienced recurrent sinus infections? Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons having followed a series of sinus infections?

Thanks

I do get sinus infections but not more than once a year. I have horrid

allergies to pollen, dust, mold, etc... You name it, I sneeze at it.

LOL.

>

> Just going out on a limb here..... has anyone experienced recurrent

sinus infections?  Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons

having followed a series of sinus infections? 

>

> Thanks

>

Hi Everyone,I am new to the group and I have been suffering from 4S for almost 20 years. I also have sinus problems and have had them ever since I can remember. I also grew up in a house where both of my parents were heavy smokers. Through the avoidance of many foods my sinus problems have improved though never really healed completely. No matter what I do I always have some sort of infection and blockage in my nasal and sinus area. Maybe there is a connection. My 4s symptoms and sinus problems both started at about the same time.It's such a relief to know that there are more people sharing the same condition and symptoms. It's nice to know that we're not alone.Best,andraTo: Soundsensitivity Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 10:31:04 AMSubject: Re: question

Hmm... Maybe your'e on to something. I have had sinus problems all my life, back to my childhood (I'm sure growing up in a house full of heavy smokers and cat hair didn't help.) I finally had sinus surgery five years ago which helped lessen the symptoms.The nose and ears are "connected" somewhat in the head. Maybe there's a 4S connection.Subject: questionTo:

Soundsensitivity Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 3:30 PM

Just going out on a limb here..... has anyone experienced recurrent sinus infections? Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons having followed a series of sinus infections?

Thanks

Darlene--have you ever tried a nasal flush for your allergies? I had sinus problems that were much worse than they are now. I do a nose flush every day--at least once. Doing it after exposure to germs or allergens is a great idea. It has made all the difference--so I highly recommend it. You don't need to buy the expensive packets from the store either. You can make up your own stuff using popcorn salt (unflavored of course:) and baking soda.

a, there are some theories out there that certain problems are started as a result of a bacterial infection. For example certain types of OCD are thought to be caused by strep throat.

-----Original Message-----From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ]On Behalf Of DarleneSent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:13 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: question

I do get sinus infections but not more than once a year. I have horrid allergies to pollen, dust, mold, etc... You name it, I sneeze at it. LOL.>> Just going out on a limb here..... has anyone experienced recurrent sinus infections? Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons having followed a series of sinus infections? > > Thanks>

Hi Sonya,I used to get sinus infections about every 6 months. After having eliminated certain foods (dairy, gluten, sugar) my sinus problems improved greatly. I have taken antibiotics and antibiotic nasal sprays as treatment though the treatments never seemed to help. Studies are now showing that sinus infections may be caused by a fungus and antibiotics may actually work to worsen the problem. I guess the cause of certain infections may be very difficult to determine. Really interesting to read about the link between bacterial infections and OCD. Would love to try your nasal flush. Will you let me know the amount of salt and baking soda that you use and how you administer it?Thanks so much!andraTo: Soundsensitivity Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 12:20:23 PMSubject: RE: Re: question

Darlene--have you ever tried a nasal flush for your allergies? I had sinus problems that were much worse than they are now. I do a nose flush every day--at least once. Doing it after exposure to germs or allergens is a great idea. It has made all the difference--so I highly recommend it. You don't need to buy the expensive packets from the store either. You can make up your own stuff using popcorn salt (unflavored of course:) and baking soda.

a, there are some theories out there that certain problems are started as a result of a bacterial infection. For example certain types of OCD are thought to be caused by strep throat.

-----Original Message-----From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ]On Behalf Of DarleneSent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:13 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: question

I do get sinus infections but not more than once a year. I have horrid allergies to pollen, dust, mold, etc... You name it, I sneeze at it. LOL.>> Just going out on a limb here..... has anyone experienced recurrent sinus infections? Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons having followed a series of sinus infections? > > Thanks>

Hi andra,

Welcome to the group!

That is great that you were able to eliminate certain food to improve your sinus problems. Here is the recipe for creating your own nose flush:

Sinucleanse packets each contain:

700 mg Sodium Bicarbonate

2300 mg Sodium Chloride

This translates to:

14g Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda)

46 g Sodium Chloride (use popcorn salt)

Total 60g

Directions--put container on the scale before turning on. The scale will automatically start at zero. Pour in 14g of baking soda--allow for the delay of the scale. Then pour in the salt until hit 60g. Be sure to stir well to get rid of lumps. These directions assume that you have a fancy scale (like this: http://www.minipocketscale.com/my_weigh/mx-50.htm) to weigh the ingredients. I got for a fraction of the retail price at an online police auction. I can only imagine what it was originally used for! I usually make a double batch and it is weeks before I run out.

A serving size is about half a tea spoon if you are using a Neilmed bottle: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php and a little less than that for a neti pot: http://www.sinucleanse.com/?source=google & group=neti & campaign=1 (I have both).

I hope this helps!

Sonya

RE: Re: question

Nope.

>

sinus infections?  Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons

>

> Thanks

>

No here either sorry

[mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of graue_fee

Sent: Saturday, 22 November 2008 4:47 AM

To: Soundsensitivity

Subject: Re: question

Nope.

>

sinus infections? Or does anyone recall the start of 4S symptons

>

> Thanks

>

Hi Sonya. Yes I do use a nasal flush but I'll be the first to admit

that I don't do it as much as I should. I do feel bettter when I am

consistent. My allergies are a bit better in dead of winter so I

tend to stop doing it and then get out of the habit. I wouldn't be

surprised if there is a connection between OCD and strep throat... I

had strep throat numerous times as a child and had the strep virus in

my appendix and spleen as well. And, I have OCD.

>

> Darlene--have you ever tried a nasal flush for your allergies? I

had sinus

> problems that were much worse than they are now. I do a nose flush

every

> day--at least once. Doing it after exposure to germs or allergens

is a

> great idea. It has made all the difference--so I highly recommend

it. You

> don't need to buy the expensive packets from the store either. You

can make

> up your own stuff using popcorn salt (unflavored of course:) and

baking

> soda.

>

> a, there are some theories out there that certain problems are

started

> as a result of a bacterial infection. For example certain types of

OCD are

> thought to be caused by strep throat.

>

>

I had a serious sinus infection when I was 37 and my eye was very swollen. I had to have two operations and was in hospital for 10 days.

However, I have to say that I already had 4S pretty bad before that time and I don't think it has got any worse. I now have tinnitus quite bad and dizzy spells which may be Meneres Disease.

I also suffer from migraines which mostly seem to be over one eye.

I don't know if this helps.

Another thing I have been thinking lately from reading all your emails is that I am lucky that I only seem to suffer the noises from people I am close to, family and friends. People at work (I work with small children in a school as well!) don't seem to affect me. It's almost like I become obsessive about a noise (I also have mild OCD - what do I sound like!!) and I don't mean to obsess about it, it just seems to happen.

Sorry rambling ............

:)

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:30:37 PMSubject: question

Thanks

Thanks so much for this Sonya. I will try the sinucleanse and see how it goes :o)I'm sure that's what the perpetrator told the police when he got caught with the scale..."What, I'm just measuring some Baking Soda for my sinucleanse"? LOL!!! To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 1:07:51 PMSubject: RE: Re: question

Hi andra,

Welcome to the group!

That is great that you were able to eliminate certain food to improve your sinus problems. Here is the recipe for creating your own nose flush:

Sinucleanse packets each contain:

700 mg Sodium Bicarbonate

2300 mg Sodium Chloride

This translates to:

14g Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda)

46 g Sodium Chloride (use popcorn salt)

Total 60g

Directions--put container on the scale before turning on. The scale will automatically start at zero. Pour in 14g of baking soda--allow for the delay of the scale. Then pour in the salt until hit 60g. Be sure to stir well to get rid of lumps. These directions assume that you have a fancy scale (like this: http://www.minipocketscale.com/my_weigh/mx-50.htm) to weigh the ingredients. I got for a fraction of the retail price at an online police auction. I can only imagine what it was originally used for! I usually make a double batch and it is weeks before I run out.

A serving size is about half a tea spoon if you are using a Neilmed bottle: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php and a little less than that for a neti pot: http://www.sinucleanse.com/?source=google & group=neti & campaign=1 (I have both).

I hope this helps!

Sonya

Re: question

• 3 weeks later...

What does this mean on a FIE for a 3 year old entering public school:

"Standard assessment procedures were not used. The AEPS was administered and is a comprehensive linked assessment, intervention, and evaluation system for children from birth to six years who have disabilities. The rationale for the deviation were as follows: traditional evaluation procedures were considered and it was determined that they would not generate significant functional inormation. The results of the evaluation should be considered a valid estimate of current levels of functioning and should not be considered predictive of future levels of functioning."

This is a child with speech delay and mild PDD characteristics...

What formal assessments should be used?

M. GuppyMy autism journey isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.... Texas Autism Advocacy: www.TexasAutismAdvocacy.org

"There are some aspects of a person's life that we have no right to compromise. We cannot negotiate the size of an institution. No one should live in one. We cannot debate who should get an inclusive education. Everyone should. We cannot determine who does and who does not get the right to make their own choices and forge their own futures. All must."

Hi - A " play-based assessment " is common at preschool. These

are not standardized tests. There are some disadvantages to

standardized testing at this young age - esp. when there are

communication barriers. It can present a picture that is much lower

than the child's abilities, and children at age 3 are so young that

much can change developmentally before they reach kindergarten. This

is likely why the comment was included that results are not predictive

of future functioning, which is a good thing. That said, the

instruments used must be " technically sound, " so more than casual

observation should be included in the FIE. A solely play-based

assessment would not meet this standard. I am not familiar with the

AEPS, but it sounds like the AEPS is fairly comprehensive:

http://nccic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/goodstart/assess-eval1.html

Assessment, Evaluation, and Programming System (AEPS) for Infants and

Children® AEPS assesses fine motor, gross motor, cognitive, adaptive,

social-communication, and social-emotional development. Birth to

school age

No matter how comprehensive, since the AEPS is not a " standard

assessment measure, " the FIE may not meet the requirements of IDEA to

use technically sound instruments if it does not include any

standardized test sources for cognitive function, behavior or speech.

You should ask what technical measures were included in the FIE if you

feel like it is lacking.

Also, if an au evaluation was not done, it should be. The child must

be evaluated in all areas of SUSPECTED disability. This would likely

include standardized tests like the CARS and GARS by an autism team.

Here's what IDEA says about it.

§ 300.304 Evaluation procedures.

(a) Notice. The public agency must provide notice to the parents of a

child with a disability, in accordance with §300.503, that describes

any evaluation procedures the agency proposes to conduct.

(B) Conduct of evaluation. In conducting the evaluation, the public

agency must—

(1) Use a variety of assessment tools and strategies to gather

relevant functional, developmental, and academic information about the

child, including information provided by the parent, that may assist

in determining—

(i) Whether the child is a child with a disability under §300.8; and

(ii) The content of the child's IEP, including information related to

enabling the child to be involved in and progress in the general

education curriculum (or for a preschool child, to participate in

appropriate activities);

(2) Not use any single measure or assessment as the sole criterion for

determining whether a child is a child with a disability and for

determining an appropriate educational program for the child; and

(3) Use technically sound instruments that may assess the relative

contribution of cognitive and behavioral factors, in addition to

physical or developmental factors.

© Other evaluation procedures. Each public agency must ensure that—

(1) Assessments and other evaluation materials used to assess a child

under this part—

(iii) Are used for the purposes for which the assessments or measures

are valid and reliable;

(iv) Are administered by trained and knowledgeable personnel; and

(v) Are administered in accordance with any instructions provided by

the producer of the assessments.

(2) Assessments and other evaluation materials include those tailored

to assess specific areas of educational need and not merely those that

are designed to provide a single general intelligence quotient.

(3) Assessments are selected and administered so as best to ensure

that if an assessment is administered to a child with impaired

sensory, manual, or speaking skills, the assessment results accurately

reflect the child's aptitude or achievement level or whatever other

factors the test purports to measure, rather than reflecting the

child's impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills (unless those

skills are the factors that the test purports to measure).

(4) The child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected

disability, including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social

and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance,

communicative status, and motor abilities;

(6) In evaluating each child with a disability under §§300.304 through

300.306, the evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify all

of the child's special education and related services needs, whether

or not commonly linked to the disability category in which the child

has been classified.

(7) Assessment tools and strategies that provide relevant information

that directly assists persons in determining the educational needs of

the child are provided.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1414(B)(1)-(3), 1412(a)(6)(B))

>

> What does this mean on a FIE for a 3 year old entering public school:

>  

> " Standard assessment procedures were not used.  The AEPS was

administered and is a comprehensive linked assessment, intervention,

and evaluation system for children from birth to six years who have

disabilities.  The rationale for the deviation were as follows: 

traditional evaluation procedures were considered and it was

determined that they would not generate significant functional

inormation.  The results of the evaluation should be considered a

valid estimate of current levels of functioning and should not be

considered predictive of future levels of functioning. "

>

>

> This is a child with speech delay and mild PDD characteristics...

>  

> What formal assessments should be used?

>  

> M. Guppy

> My autism journey isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's

about learning to dance in the rain.... 

> Texas Autism Advocacy:  www.TexasAutismAdvocacy.org

> " There are some aspects of a person's life that we have no right to

compromise.  We cannot negotiate the size of an institution.  No one

should live in one.  We cannot debate who should get an inclusive

education.  Everyone should.  We cannot determine who does and who

does not get the right to make their own choices and forge their own

futures.  All must. "

>