RemedySpot.com

Re: Kid Zone....my vent

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would complain to Kid Zone headquarters and the management!

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid Zone in the mall since it is raining. So "head of Security" approaches my husband and says that our son has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son wears orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also explains that he can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he has to take his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better things to do like patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid Zone????....please.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com.

Isn't that a form of discrimination!

We are! It's so ridiculous!

From: Dgaita1013aol <Dgaita1013aol>Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:48 AM

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, judyrhomeyahoo (DOT) com writes:

My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid Zone in the mall since it is raining. So "head of Security" approaches my husband and says that our son has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son wears orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also explains that he can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he has to take his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better things to do like patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid Zone????.... please.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com. One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com.

Security guard is lucky he had dad and not mom I am guessing!

YES and that's what I mean. I totally understand if the guy didn't realize the situation but after my husband explained he should have been fine with it.

From: Dgaita1013aol (DOT) com <Dgaita1013aol (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.comDate: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:48 AM

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, judyrhomeyahoo (DOT) com writes:

My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid Zone in the mall since it is raining. So "head of Security" approaches my husband and says that our son has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son wears orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also explains that he can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he has to take his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better things to do like patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid Zone????.... please.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com. One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW AOL.com.

We are! It's so ridiculous!

Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:48 AM

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

YES and that's what I mean. I totally understand if the guy didn't realize the situation but after my husband explained he should have been fine with it.

From: Dgaita1013aol (DOT) com <Dgaita1013aol (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.comDate: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:48 AM

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

I'm sorry you had to deal with such foolishness! I have had a few run in's over the years too with regards to being able to have equal access to things. The ADA is your friend and often just stating that your child has the right to equal access to anything public under while using the needed supports, and in this case it means the orthonics, will very often get the person to back down. If not, tell them you want a supervisor and you will not move until one talks to you, then don't move. :-) Just keep enjoying your activities. Carol in ILMom to , 8 DS My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.Join our Down Syndrome information group - http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/

DownSyndromeInfo Exchange/ http://downsyndromeinfoexchange.blogspot.com/Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusicFrom: "Dgaita1013@..." To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 1:31:57 PMSubject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my vent

Security guard is lucky he had dad and not mom I am guessing!

In a message dated 12/22/2008 2:10:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, judyrhomeyahoo (DOT) com writes:

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

It doesn't seem fair to me either.

Could the orthotics be placed inside his socks? I'm not sure what kind he wears.

Shirley

Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my vent

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, judyrhome writes:

My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid Zone in the mall since it is raining. So "head of Security" approaches my husband and says that our son has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son wears orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also explains that he can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he has to take his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better things to do like patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid Zone????....please.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1856 - Release Date: 12/18/2008 8:06 PM

ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) don't be afraid to use it! If this is a public place your child has every right to use it with all supports needed. Would they make someone leave their crutches or wheelchair outside the area?

ette

--------- Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExc hange@yahoogroup s.comDate: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:48 AM

Dawn

Mom to angel , 2

you should contact the management of the mall and let them know what happened.

Pretty

sure there is some disability law that says if he needs his shoes/socks that

they can't force

him to take them off. (I do realize it does not specifically say those words,

but you get

the point.)

>

> It doesn't seem fair to me either.

>

> Could the orthotics be placed inside his socks? I'm not sure what kind he

wears.

>

> Shirley

>

>

> Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my vent

>

>

>

> I would complain to Kid Zone headquarters and the management!

>

> Dawn

> Mom to angel , 2

>

> In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

judyrhome@...

writes:

> My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid

Zone in the mall

since it is raining. So " head of Security " approaches my husband and says that

our son

has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son

wears

orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also

explains that he

can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he

has to take

his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better

things to do like

patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid

Zone????....please.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

> One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo

Mail. The

NEW AOL.com.

>

>

>

>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1856 - Release Date: 12/18/2008

8:06

PM

>

Before making too big of a " nasty " fuss I'd recommend trying a soft

approach. I'd rather have accomodations made willingly through

education than forcefully leaving bitter feelings towards the very

ones for whom we are trying to promote greater understanding.

I think the reason for the no shoes is to keep dirt and germs under

control and to a minimum. At a Children's Museum in Houston they

provided hospital type paper shoes to go over the street shoes.

Perhaps you could suggest that there be such a solution in this case.

--northern Wisconsin

> >

> > It doesn't seem fair to me either.

> >

> > Could the orthotics be placed inside his socks? I'm not sure

what kind he wears.

> >

> > Shirley

> >

> >

> > Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Kid Zone....my vent

> >

> >

> >

> > I would complain to Kid Zone headquarters and the management!

> >

> > Dawn

> > Mom to angel , 2

> >

> > In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard

Time, judyrhome@

> writes:

> > My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to

play at the Kid Zone in the mall

> since it is raining. So " head of Security " approaches my husband

and says that our son

> has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband

explains that our son wears

> orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet.

He also explains that he

> can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and

says that he has to take

> his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they

have better things to do like

> patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on

Kid Zone????....please.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > -----------------------------------------------------------------

--

> -----------

> > One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The

> NEW AOL.com.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > -----------------------------------------------------------------

--

> -----------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG.

> > Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1856 - Release

Date: 12/18/2008 8:06

> PM

> >

>

My husband called and talked to someone in management at the mall who was very apologetic and concerned. They don't allow this type of behavior from employees and said that they would address it. In the meantime my husband called the person in charge of security who did not understand the issue. He was pretty much sticking to the policy....no shoes allowed and no exceptions for safety reasons for all of the children. So my husband very calmly said "so let me understand this, my son is not allowed to play in that area because he has a disability that keeps him from walking without his orthodics." Security guy says he'll call my husband back. Phone rings 5 minutes later. Security guy must have talked to someone in public relations... ."we believe that your

son should be able to wear his orthodics/shoes in the play area and that doing so would not pose a safety issue for the other> children." Ya think?> > Judy

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Re: Kid Zone....my ventTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 7:53 AM

Before making too big of a "nasty" fuss I'd recommend trying a soft approach. I'd rather have accomodations made willingly through education than forcefully leaving bitter feelings towards the very ones for whom we are trying to promote greater understanding.I think the reason for the no shoes is to keep dirt and germs under control and to a minimum. At a Children's Museum in Houston they provided hospital type paper shoes to go over the street shoes. Perhaps you could suggest that there be such a solution in this case.--northern Wisconsin> >> > It doesn't seem fair to me either.> > > > Could the orthotics be placed inside his socks? I'm not sure what kind he wears.> > > > Shirley> > > > > > Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] Kid Zone....my vent> > > > > > > > I would complain to Kid Zone headquarters and the management!> > > > Dawn > > Mom to angel , 2> > > > In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, judyrhome@ > writes:> > My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to play at the Kid Zone in the mall > since it is raining. So "head of Security" approaches my husband and says that our son > has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband explains that our son wears

> orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet. He also explains that he > can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and says that he has to take > his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they have better things to do like > patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on Kid Zone????.... please.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---> -----------> > One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The > NEW AOL.com.> > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---> -----------> >

> > > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG. > > Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1856 - Release Date: 12/18/2008 8:06 > PM> >>

Good for you! Sorry that you had to go through all of that

aggravation, but glad that it turned out well.

DownSyndromeInfoExchange

[mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of Judy

Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:25 AM

To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange

Subject: Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Re: Kid Zone....my vent

My husband called and talked

to someone in management at the mall who

was very apologetic and concerned. They don't allow this type of

behavior from employees and said that they would address it. In the

meantime my husband called the person in charge of security who did

not understand the issue. He was pretty much sticking to the

policy....no shoes allowed and no exceptions for safety reasons for

all of the children. So my husband very calmly said " so let me

understand this, my son is not allowed to play in that area because

he has a disability that keeps him from walking without his

orthodics. " Security guy says he'll call my husband back.

Phone

rings 5 minutes later. Security guy must have talked to

someone in

public relations... . " we believe that your son should be able to

wear

his orthodics/shoes in the play area and that doing so would

not pose a safety issue for the other

> children. " Ya think?

>

> Judy

Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Re: Kid Zone....my vent

To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange

Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 7:53 AM

Before making too big of a

" nasty " fuss I'd recommend trying a soft

approach. I'd rather have accomodations made willingly through

education than forcefully leaving bitter feelings towards the very

ones for whom we are trying to promote greater understanding.

I think the reason for the no shoes is to keep dirt and germs under

control and to a minimum. At a Children's Museum in Houston they

provided hospital type paper shoes to go over the street shoes.

Perhaps you could suggest that there be such a solution in this case.

--northern Wisconsin

> >

> > It doesn't seem fair to me either.

> >

> > Could the orthotics be placed inside his socks? I'm not sure

what kind he wears.

> >

> > Shirley

> >

> >

> > Re: [DownSyndromeInfoEx change] Kid Zone....my vent

> >

> >

> >

> > I would complain to Kid Zone headquarters and the management!

> >

> > Dawn

> > Mom to angel , 2

> >

> > In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:44:15 P.M. Eastern Standard

Time, judyrhome@

> writes:

> > My husband just called. He took our son, Reece to

play at the Kid Zone in the mall

> since it is raining. So " head of Security " approaches my

husband

and says that our son

> has to take his shoes off....no shoes allowed. My husband

explains that our son wears

> orthodics and has to wear shoes so he doesn't slip on the carpet.

He also explains that he

> can't walk without his orthodics. Security guy does not care and

says that he has to take

> his shoes off if he wants to play there. Honestly, don't they

have better things to do like

> patrol for shoplifters. But instead they want to crack down on

Kid Zone????.... please.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

--

> -----------

> > One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The

> NEW AOL.com.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

--

> -----------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG.

> > Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1856 - Release

Date: 12/18/2008 8:06

> PM

> >

>