RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: If caffeine helps

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My migraines don't fully respond to anything any more, except for minor relief on occasion. I've tried every narcotic, every migraine prescription drug, every alternative, and nothing works once one hits. It really sucks. Until recently, my migraines had reduced greatly, until my body suddenly decided to become menopausal. The wild hormonal fluctuations have definitely exacerbated them. Turns out 47% of people actually get worse migraines after menopause. Here I'd been hoping for a complete cessation of them with menopause. My migraines are definitely connected to hormones, but also to barometric pressure, alcohol, altitude, etc. I guess in the case of hormonal migraines, the sudden estrogen drop sends your body into a frantic mode of compensation which causes all kinds of uncomfortable symptoms for many women, including fluid retention, etc. (I don't get any symptoms except horrendous migraines.) Perhaps

hormones and other factors effect the CSFin those predisposed to the problem. My feeling is that Migraines are definitely related to fluctuating CSF pressure in some people. At least in me. penny phagelod <mpalmer@...> wrote: aI did a quick, non-biased PubMed search using the words "caffeine", "intracranial", and "pressure" and came up with two that suggests that caffeine might help a low pressure

headache:http://tinyurl.com/22dn6ehttp://tinyurl.com/2g8h98but I would think that the vasoconstricting effects in the CNS of caffeine might also partially relieve an ICH headache insofar as reducing blood volume would relieve a bit of pressure. I'd think that might aggravate fatigue though. I'm guessing that whatever efficacy caffeine might have for ICH might depend on how high the particular person's pressure is. I think there are some patients who have headaches that aren't even relieved with narcotics.The PTC/ICH forums are full of people who know what works or doesn't, both for high pressure, and low pressure headaches. If you're still waiting for membership in the MSN ICH site, you may want to just try and log in. I think this is the same username and password as for the hotmail account you're required to

have. I waited about 2 weeks for an email confirming my membership and never got one. You may have to just try and log on.Matt>> Matt and all,> If caffeine relieved my headache would that mean I have low brain pressure?> > a>

Guest guest

Actually I didn't say that correctly. It may not be fluctuating CSF levels as much as various factors being exacerbated due to an already elevated (or decreased) CSF level. For instance, when the hormones drop, or the liver can't process alcohol, or the body isn't getting enough oxygen, an inflammatory response is initiated, which causes swelling in the head or Central Nervous System. In a normal body, there'd be room to compensate for the swelling with minor discomfort. When your pressure's already too high, adding more pressure to the situation results in really nasty headaches or other symptoms. Make sense? pennyphagelod <mpalmer@...> wrote: aI did a quick, non-biased PubMed search using the words "caffeine", "intracranial", and "pressure" and came up with two that suggests that caffeine might help a low pressure headache:http://tinyurl.com/22dn6ehttp://tinyurl.com/2g8h98but I would think that the vasoconstricting effects in the CNS of caffeine might also partially relieve an ICH headache insofar as reducing blood volume would relieve a bit of pressure. I'd think that might aggravate fatigue though. I'm guessing that whatever efficacy caffeine might have for ICH might depend on how high the particular person's pressure is. I think there are

some patients who have headaches that aren't even relieved with narcotics.The PTC/ICH forums are full of people who know what works or doesn't, both for high pressure, and low pressure headaches. If you're still waiting for membership in the MSN ICH site, you may want to just try and log in. I think this is the same username and password as for the hotmail account you're required to have. I waited about 2 weeks for an email confirming my membership and never got one. You may have to just try and log on.Matt>> Matt and all,> If caffeine relieved my headache would that mean I have low brain pressure?> > a>

Guest guest

Dear Penny

Look for the work by Ray Peat on hormones

He was the researcher that put some sense into endocrinological balance back in the 1960's.

It probably has little to do with estrogen dropoff and more to do with progesterone.

Regards

R

Re: [infections] Re: If caffeine helps

My migraines don't fully respond to anything any more, except for minor relief on occasion. I've tried every narcotic, every migraine prescription drug, every alternative, and nothing works once one hits. It really sucks.

Until recently, my migraines had reduced greatly, until my body suddenly decided to become menopausal. The wild hormonal fluctuations have definitely exacerbated them. Turns out 47% of people actually get worse migraines after menopause. Here I'd been hoping for a complete cessation of them with menopause. My migraines are definitely connected to hormones, but also to barometric pressure, alcohol, altitude, etc. I guess in the case of hormonal migraines, the sudden estrogen drop sends your body into a frantic mode of compensation which causes all kinds of uncomfortable symptoms for many women, including fluid retention, etc. (I don't get any symptoms except horrendous migraines.) & n bsp;Perhaps hormones and other factors effect the CSFin those predisposed to the problem. My feeling is that Migraines are definitely related to fluctuating CSF pressure in some people. At least in me.

penny

phagelod <mpalmeruab (DOT) edu> wrote:

aI did a quick, non-biased PubMed search using the words "caffeine", "intracranial", and "pressure" and came up with two that suggests that caffeine might help a low pressure headache:http://tinyurl.com/22dn6ehttp://tinyurl.com/2g8h98but I would think that the vasoconstricting effects in the CNS of caffeine might also partially relieve an ICH headache insofar as reducing blood volume would relieve a bit of pressure. I'd think that might aggravate fatigue though. I'm guessing that whatever efficacy caffeine might have for ICH might depend on how high the particular person's pressure is. I think there are some patients who have headaches that aren't even relieved with narcotics.The PTC/ICH forums are full of people who know what works or doesn't, both for high pressure, and low pressure headaches. If you're still waiting for membership in the MSN ICH site, you may want to just try and log in. I think this is the same username and password as for the hotmail account you're required to have. I waited about 2 weeks for an email confirming my membership and never got one. You may have to just try and log on.Matt>> Matt and all,> If caffeine relieved my headache would that mean I have low brain pressure?> > a>

Guest guest

Dear

Interesting comment. I have the converse problem, I long ago learned to have conscious and then subconscious control over my bruxism. What I fid now is too much black coffee can precipitate jaw clenching and thus tension headaches. 10% milk in the coffee removes much of the problem.

Regards

R

[infections] Re: If caffeine helps

I find caffeine can sometimes help headaches that I attribute tobruxism. (That attribution is due to association with jaw pain, etc).What happens downstream of the bruxism to produce the headache, Idon't know. It could involve high CSF pressure.> Matt and all,> If caffeine relieved my headache would that mean I have low brainpressure?> > a>

Guest guest

The thinking is coming full circle on this. It's not just estrogen, true, but the fact is there's a tremendous drop in your hormones around menstruation (and menopause), which is what causes the body to freak out trying to compensate for the drop. The liver especially struggles with it. This is what just about every doctor, both allopathic and alternative, is saying these days. penny Windsor <rwindsor@...> wrote: Dear Penny Look for the work by Ray Peat on hormones He was the researcher that put some sense into endocrinological balance back in the 1960's. It probably has little to do with estrogen dropoff and more to do with progesterone. Regards R Re:

[infections] Re: If caffeine helps My migraines don't fully respond to anything any more, except for minor relief on occasion. I've tried every narcotic, every migraine prescription drug, every alternative, and nothing works once one hits. It really sucks. Until recently, my migraines had reduced greatly, until my body suddenly decided to become menopausal. The wild hormonal fluctuations have definitely exacerbated them. Turns out 47% of people actually get worse migraines after menopause. Here I'd been hoping for a complete cessation of them with menopause. My migraines are definitely connected to hormones, but also to barometric pressure, alcohol, altitude, etc. I guess in the case of hormonal migraines, the sudden estrogen drop sends your body into a frantic mode of compensation which causes all kinds of uncomfortable symptoms for many women,

including fluid retention, etc. (I don't get any symptoms except horrendous migraines.) & n bsp;Perhaps hormones and other factors effect the CSFin those predisposed to the problem. My feeling is that Migraines are definitely related to fluctuating CSF pressure in some people. At least in me. penny phagelod <mpalmeruab (DOT) edu> wrote: aI did a quick, non-biased PubMed search using the words "caffeine", "intracranial", and "pressure" and came up with two that suggests that caffeine might help a low pressure headache:http://tinyurl.com/22dn6ehttp://tinyurl.com/2g8h98but I would think

that the vasoconstricting effects in the CNS of caffeine might also partially relieve an ICH headache insofar as reducing blood volume would relieve a bit of pressure. I'd think that might aggravate fatigue though. I'm guessing that whatever efficacy caffeine might have for ICH might depend on how high the particular person's pressure is. I think there are some patients who have headaches that aren't even relieved with narcotics.The PTC/ICH forums are full of people who know what works or doesn't, both for high pressure, and low pressure headaches. If you're still waiting for membership in the MSN ICH site, you may want to just try and log in. I think this is the same username and password as for the hotmail account you're required to have. I waited about 2 weeks for an email confirming my membership and never got one. You may have to just try and log on.Matt>> Matt and all,> If caffeine relieved my headache would that mean I have low brain pressure?> > a>