RemedySpot.com

Re: Relation of IIH and edema

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear a

My edema is intermittent and possibly triggered by food allergy. I used to think it was wheat related but not sure now. However, my weight would fluctuate by 5 to 6 pounds overnight. I've never considered diuretics as I've previously had symptoms of polycythemia/ low blood volume. Catch 22.

Having stopped doxy, my headache has the edge taken off it but by no means resolved.

R

[infections] Relation of IIH and edema

Thanks, , for posting the link to this article. It makes me think that I should do something to try to reduce edema. But what to do? The doctor did not prescribe a diuretic. We were discussing Diamox, but she didn't want to go there at this point, especially since I am taking Valtrex.

Should I go on an Atkin's diet for a few days to see if it reduces fluid retention?

Then I wonder if taking Recuperat-ion for a year before the head pressure began was the trigger? - a lot of salt every day.

a

Friedman DI,

Streeten DH.

Department of Neurology, SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA.

Our aim was to determine the frequency of orthostatic edema (OE) in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH). We evaluated 30 women with IIH for evidence of OE by comparing sodium and water excretion in the recumbent and standing postures and morning and evening body weights. Data were compared with findings in 30 women with OE, 22 weight-matched obese normal subjects, and 20 lean normal subjects. The effect of treatment with diuretics or diuretics plus sympathomimetic agents was compared. Seventy-seven percent of IIH patients had evidence of peripheral edema and 80% had significant orthostatic retention of sodium or water. Excretion of a standard saline load and of a tap water load was significantly impaired in the upright posture in the IIH and OE patients compared with the lean and obese normal subjects. Diuretic therapy induced weight loss (up to 9 kg) and decreased mean weight gain from morning to evening in 5 of 12 patients treated. In seven patients also treated with diuretics plus sympathomimetic drugs, the diuretic-induced morning weight loss and morning to evening weight gain were both significantly improved with the addition of sympathomimetic agents. Therapy reduced the frequency or severity of headaches in seven patients and reduced papilledema in four patients who received no other concurrent treatment for IIH. The orthostatic retention of sodium and water and the consequent edema is very similar in IIH and OE patients, suggesting a common pathogenesis for both disorders. Diuretic therapy, dietary salt and water restriction, and planned periods of recumbency merit study as a treatment for these patients.

PMID: 9566401 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Guest guest

I never thought my head pressure could possibly be food allergy, but a friend convinced me I should try the elimination diet again. I just read a news article about Master Cleanse and figured maybe now is a good time to try it. (Can you tell I am desperate?) I will keep posting on this in the next few days.

1/2 lemon

1 bottle spring water

2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup

Drink six to ten times a day.

a

Dear aMy edema is intermittent and possibly triggered by food allergy. I used to think it was wheat related but not sure now. However, my weight would fluctuate by 5 to 6 pounds overnight. I've never considered diuretics as I've previously had symptoms of polycythemia/ low blood volume. Catch 22.Having stopped doxy, my headache has the edge taken off it but by no means resolved.R