RemedySpot.com

Re: mouth - systemic disease axis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks, . I'm glad somebody in the medical field's beginning to take note: " "We've known for years that diabetic patients who have periodontal disease do not respond to therapy," says ." How many other illnesses don't "respond to therapy" when the patient has undiagnosed gum/dental disease? "A study

published last month in the Journal of Periodontology found that gum disease even predisposes certain people to developing early signs of diabetes." Those of us who've struggled and known about the importance of the mouth/jaw in relation to various diseases have been frustrated that medicine hasn't picked up on the connections that are so well documented. Maybe they're going to finally wake up and dentistry will be forced to undergo radical reform? One can hope. penny <usenethod@...> wrote: Tony and Penny, I dono if you'll like this or not, but apparantly its about gum disease (which I think many/most attribute to biofilm bacteria) as a risk factor for other diseases. Cardiovascular disease, apparantly... (but really this shouldn't be taken as gospel unless you look up the papers). I am really hyper right now and could only read part of it: http://tinyurl.com/2dtmy9 Kind of reminds me of a paper Wheldon posted in which a bunch of screwey organisms were found in atheromas (the vascular wall plaques which break off and lodge in small vessels to cause heart attacks and strokes). Perhaps if infection is actually important in atherosclerosis (rather than secondary and benign), it could be a more polymicrobial disease and "commensals" could be prominant participants, of course with noninfectious factors possibly just as important. In that case, of course, we'd have to reclass them as semi-commensals, like candida.Source is raven from cpnhelp.