RemedySpot.com

New study shows vitamin D may prevent MS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Some of you may want to forward this info to friends with MS. We already know that vitamin D (actually a hormone, not a "vitamin" at all), is a big player in autoimmune/inflammatory diseases. A new study (see below) now suggests it may prevent MS, especially effective in those "under 20". D is getting tons of research attention right now so there's lots out there on it. We know people of all ages who are using vitamin D as part of their anti-infection (ala Ken Lassesen) and anti-inflammatory protocols. One thing seems pretty certain, it definitely plays a role of some kind in inflammatory damage, perhaps a bad one in people with sarcoidosis, but in most everyone else with "autoimmune" issues, it appears to be beneficial. penny News: Vitamin D Reduces Risk of Multiple Sclerosis "...The study examined nearly 7 million-- yes, million, United States military personnel. Of these multitudes, about 260 eventually developed MS. These select few had their blood analyzed and compared to a similar population of those who did not develop MS-- to look for differences that might explain why or how the disease came about in the afflicted. What researchers found is that the risk of developing MS fell as levels of Vitamin D rose! To put some numbers behind these assertions, the risk of MS was reduced by over 60% in those that had the highest amount of Vitamin D in their blood. These numbers only held true for Caucasians-- a similar pattern was not seen in minorities. Also, the protective effect of Vitamin D was most strongly seen in those under 20 years of

age..." "...How does Vitamin D wield its affect? The answer is not clear, but the vitamin's role in calcium absorption is well understood, and it seems to have a role in regulating the immune system as well..." "...Again, there are no implications drawn here for what happens to people who *already have* MS and take Vitamin D, but given that at least some component of MS is likely genetic, it might be wise to discuss with your doctor whether direct relatives of those with MS should make sure they're getting enough of this potentially powerful Vitamin..." Credits: Journal of American Medicinehttp://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/296/23/2832 Scientific American, Vitamin D may cut multiple sclerosis risk, study

findshttp://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003 & articleID=B31F0C758BB498B5D56B5FEA80F313A7 full article: http://www.thisisms.com/article282.html

Guest guest

" The people's pharmacy " on NPR tends to grate on my ears, but they

were talking about a new D/cancer study right as I got in the car.

Coming out of U Nebraska. I don't care to look it up, but they

mentioned a reduction in (some?/all?) tumors that really got my

attention, something around 80% if I heard right. I don't know who we

are comparing to whom there, so don't nobody draw any conclusions from

my account without looking up the info.

>

> Some of you may want to forward this info to friends with MS.

>

> We already know that vitamin D (actually a hormone, not a

" vitamin " at all), is a big player in autoimmune/inflammatory

diseases. A new study (see below) now suggests it may prevent MS,

especially effective in those " under 20 " .

>

> D is getting tons of research attention right now so there's lots

out there on it. We know people of all ages who are using vitamin D as

part of their anti-infection (ala Ken Lassesen) and anti-inflammatory

protocols. One thing seems pretty certain, it definitely plays a role

of some kind in inflammatory damage, perhaps a bad one in people with

sarcoidosis, but in most everyone else with " autoimmune " issues, it

appears to be beneficial.

>

> penny

Guest guest

I know there was a recent study on D and breast cancer. Very favorable as well. penny <usenethod@...> wrote: "The people's pharmacy" on NPR tends to grate on my ears, but theywere talking about a new D/cancer study right as I got in the car.Coming out of U Nebraska. I don't care to look it up, but theymentioned a reduction in (some?/all?) tumors that really got myattention, something around 80% if I heard right. I don't know who weare comparing

to whom there, so don't nobody draw any conclusions frommy account without looking up the info.>> Some of you may want to forward this info to friends with MS.> > We already know that vitamin D (actually a hormone, not a"vitamin" at all), is a big player in autoimmune/inflammatorydiseases. A new study (see below) now suggests it may prevent MS,especially effective in those "under 20". > > D is getting tons of research attention right now so there's lotsout there on it. We know people of all ages who are using vitamin D aspart of their anti-infection (ala Ken Lassesen) and anti-inflammatoryprotocols. One thing seems pretty certain, it definitely plays a roleof some kind in inflammatory damage, perhaps a bad one in

people withsarcoidosis, but in most everyone else with "autoimmune" issues, itappears to be beneficial.> > penny