RemedySpot.com

Re: Chromium and ABX resistant pseudomonas...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Oh, well that's just great. A double edged sword. I definitely feel the benefits of chromium when it comes to reduced carb cravings, but if I'm increasing the bugs' resistance, both bad and good, I'm not so sure about that. This is exactly why supplementing is such a tricky issue. Are we nourishing our bodies or strengthening our bugs? penny p.s. My stomach's been grumbling a lot, but I'm pretty sure that's not caused by the chromium but by my intake of coconut oil. Same thing happens with the Triphalia. Lots of gurgling, occasional gas. So both of these things are doing something in the gut. Both seem to improve digestion/elimination as well. kdrbrill <kdrbrill@...> wrote: The study was on rats, and used a form of chromium I hadn't heard of, but still...interesting.Effects of Chromium on the Resident Gut Bacteria of RatAuthors: Shrivastava, Richa1; Kannan, A.1; Upreti, R.1; Chaturvedi, U.1Source: Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, Volume 15, Number 3, May-June 2005 , pp. 211-218(8)Publisher: and Francis LtdAbstract:The major nonoccupational source of chromium (Cr) for humans is through ingestion with food and water, but its effect on the gut microflora has not been studied. The present study was, therefore,

undertaken to investigate the effects of chronic ingestion of potassium dichromate (chromium VI) on the resident gut bacteria of male Wistar rats. A group of rats was kept on drinking water containing 10 ppm chromium VI (Cr [VI]) (called Cr-stressed animals) and the other group was given plain water. After 10 weeks, Lactobacillus, Pseudomonas sp., and Escherichia coli were isolated from the cecum of the rats and various studies were performed. The most significant findings of the present study were the stimulation of growth of facultative gut bacteria from the Cr-stressed rats and the significant increase of growth even in the presence of lower concentrations of Cr. Furthermore, the capacity to reduce Cr (VI) was significantly decreased along with the increased tolerance of the bacteria to Cr (higher minimum inhibitory concentration [MIC] values), which was associated with the development of antibiotic resistance.

The effects were most marked with the Pseudomonas sp. and least with the E. coli. The antibiotic resistance developed with the Lactobacillus may be a blessing in disguise, because the bacteria may continue to provide benefits even in patients given antibiotic therapy. The gut bacteria thus provide the first line of defense to the body by converting toxic Cr (VI) to a less toxic Cr (III) and may act as a prebiotic.Keywords: Gut Microflora; Intestinal Bacteria; Lactobacillus; Pseudomonas; Escherichia coli; Chromium Resistance; Chromium (VI) Reduction

Guest guest

I would keep in mind the type of chromium used. That might make a huge

difference.

I take chromium drops called Aqua Chrome -- supposed to be the form the body

uses

best... ?

d.

> The study was on rats, and used a form of chromium I hadn't heard

of, but

> still...interesting.

>

> Effects of Chromium on the Resident Gut Bacteria of Rat

>

> Authors: Shrivastava, Richa1; Kannan, A.1; Upreti, R.1; Chaturvedi, U.1

>

> Source: Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, Volume 15, Number 3, May-June 2005

pp.

> 211-218(8)

>

> Publisher: and Francis Ltd

>

> Abstract:

>

> The major nonoccupational source of chromium (Cr) for humans is through

ingestion

with

> food and water, but its effect on the gut microflora has not been studied. The

present

> study was, therefore, undertaken to investigate the effects of chronic

ingestion of

> potassium dichromate (chromium VI) on the resident gut bacteria of male Wistar

rats. A

> group of rats was kept on drinking water containing 10 ppm chromium VI (Cr

[VI])

(called

> Cr-stressed animals) and the other group was given plain water.

>

> After 10 weeks, Lactobacillus, Pseudomonas sp., and Escherichia coli were

isolated from

> the cecum of the rats and various studies were performed. The most significant

findings

of

> the present study were the stimulation of growth of facultative gut bacteria

from the Cr-

> stressed rats and the significant increase of growth even in the presence of

lower

> concentrations of Cr.

>

> Furthermore, the capacity to reduce Cr (VI) was significantly decreased along

with the

> increased tolerance of the bacteria to Cr (higher minimum inhibitory

concentration [MIC]

> values), which was associated with the development of antibiotic resistance.

>

> The effects were most marked with the Pseudomonas sp. and least with the E.

coli. The

> antibiotic resistance developed with the Lactobacillus may be a blessing in

disguise,

> because the bacteria may continue to provide benefits even in patients given

antibiotic

> therapy. The gut bacteria thus provide the first line of defense to the body

by converting

> toxic Cr (VI) to a less toxic Cr (III) and may act as a prebiotic.

>

> Keywords: Gut Microflora; Intestinal Bacteria; Lactobacillus; Pseudomonas;

Escherichia

coli;

> Chromium Resistance; Chromium (VI) Reduction

>