RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Misophonia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you for that excellent information. I agree, the term misophonia is way too broad and I find that so many people on the board find that their trigger sounds are oral or nasal-- very interesting, yet those sounds are very common and the more I "listen" the more I hear many people making these types of noises. I suppose those two orifices generate the most sound in the human body that is audible, so that is where our triggers lie.

There are other sounds that bother me, such as loud bass music, etc., but those are probably triggers for most of the human population.

Subject: Re: MisophoniaTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 6:42 PM

Hi ! This has long since been an argument at the Hyperacusis Network website about whether the symptoms we are experiencing is indeed "Misophonia" or something else. Personally, I think Dr. s term of "4S" is a better representation of what we feel. Misophonia is dislike of sound yes, but it's too broad. The sounds we hate seem to be soft in nature, and revolve around eating noises or other bodily noises like breathing, sniffing, etc... Of course this is all my own opinion and technically the closest thing to an actual "diagnosis" of this is Misophonia and it's the only "recognized" term in the medical field. Hopefully if the NIH gets involved, that will change because I think there is much more to this than dislike of sound. Oh, I haven't tired the ear devices (can't afford them yet) but I know other's here have.>> Being new to the group, this may be redundant, I found this def of > misophonia on Wikipedia> Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound" is a form of decreased sound > tolerance. It is believed to result from abnormally strong connections > between the [autonomic] and [limbic] systems in the brain, rather than > over-activity in the [auditory system] itself. The term was coined by > American neuroscientist Pawel Jastreboff.> > Does Dr. know if this is a reliable definition of 4S? Is 4S the > same as misophonia?> > Also, I hope this is an OK question to ask, has anyone tried Dr. > 's ear devices and if so, were they successful?> > >