RemedySpot.com

Re: Diphenhydramine?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well, I was misinformed. Someone posted that Pergesic contains the same antihistimine that's in Benadryl, but in fact it's not. It actually contains Phenyltoloxamine Citrate, which is an antihistimine which is virtually off the market except for this drug Pergesic. I'm going to keep digging and try to figure out why the two drugs got confused. And I'll keep trying to figure out if one antihistimine is better than another when it comes to inflammation. penny Penny Houle <pennyhoule@...> wrote: Hi all, This one got by me somehow. Did you all know that Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is a strong anti inflammatory as well as an antihistamine? Since I can't take any aspirin related products I'm going to try something called Pergesic, which is aceteminophen with Diphenhydramine. I've read a bunch of good reports regarding headache & fibromyalgia pain relief with this product. Plus it aids in sleeping (if you respond to antihistamine's by becoming drowsy, like most people do...I'm not so sure...I usually get wired with most of these products). Has anyone had success with

Benadryl for headache/fms/arthritis type pain? penny

Guest guest

Apparently, Phenyltoloxamine is also in a few other OTC drugs, such as sinuneb. It may be used more in Europe than in the U.S? I'm not so sure I want to try this drug, as I can't find a whole lot of info on it. Anyway, the little research I did on Diphenhydramine (benadryl) show that is is effective in reducing mouse paw swelling, which is the test they use for anti-inflammatory effectiveness. I knew that histamine is an allergic/inflammatory response, but didn't realize that anti-histamines could also reduce swelling/inflammation in other parts of the body. Interesting. I'm going to try to find some benadryl and give it a go when my next migraine hits. See if it helps. Certainly not something I ever considered before. pennyPenny Houle <pennyhoule@...> wrote: Well, I was misinformed. Someone posted that Pergesic contains the same antihistimine that's in Benadryl, but in fact it's not. It actually contains Phenyltoloxamine Citrate, which is an antihistimine which is virtually off the market except for this drug Pergesic. I'm going to keep digging and try to figure out why the two drugs got confused. And I'll keep trying to figure out if one antihistimine is better than another when it comes to inflammation. penny Penny Houle

<pennyhoule > wrote: Hi all, This one got by me somehow. Did you all know that Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is a strong anti inflammatory as well as an antihistamine? Since I can't take any aspirin related products I'm going to try something called Pergesic, which is aceteminophen with Diphenhydramine. I've read a bunch of good reports regarding headache & fibromyalgia pain relief with this product. Plus it aids in sleeping (if you respond to antihistamine's by becoming drowsy, like most people do...I'm not so sure...I usually get wired with most of these products). Has anyone had success with Benadryl for headache/fms/arthritis type pain? penny