RemedySpot.com

Re: [SPAM]Re: When should a sippy cup be used and if at all

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sam did both the straw ( loaded with milkshake this took a while) and a sippy. she never got the hang of the honey bear, even though she mastered the straw. I usually drowned her or she would decide that she would just wait for mom to squeeze the bear. Why work when you don't have to :)

We do both the open mouth sippy ( these are hard to find anymore.. not spill proof First years and Tupperwar used to make em. I have had em for ages) ... and the standard sippy with the spill proof valve removed. THat way they have to " drink" and not suck it out.

This helped Sam learn to " drink" with out soaking her shirt, or my rug. Not spill proof.. but controlable. THe mouth peice with valve removed helps direct a actual flow into her mouth.

I dunno if my ST approved.. But I wondered about the hygene of straws. For me.. cleaning all those straws of all the gooey milkshake thick stuff was a real pain in the neck, I was afraid I would get her sick.

Steph

[sPAM]Re: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] When should a sippy cup be used and if at all

My speech therapist told me NO sippy cup for .......straight to straw.....which he did really well with. She had me get a honey bear at Shop Rite and she picked up plastic tubing at Home Depot to fit the spout and made the perfect training straw cup.......filled it with drinkable yogart and when you push the tummy it goes up the straw......once he got a taste of it he has no problem sucking it down! We then transitioned to the Munchkin straw cup (after trying every kind out there) and this is what he uses for his juice.

Hope this helps!

Dawn,

Mom to angel 2

In a message dated 12/18/2008 2:01:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, gina_schwindler2003 writes:

My son is biting the nipple of his bottle and I have tried using sippy cups, but he gets very frustrated with it. I don't know if I am using a one on him too soon or if I should be using one at all. He hasn't started ot yet. So I am just wondering if there is a certian way to get him use to a sippy cup or wait until he starts ot. And if there are certian sippy cups out there that he might like. This is all new to me as he is only 1 and half yrs old and he is mentally 10 or 11 months old. Some suggestions and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!