RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: listening to your pediatrician vs. gastro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey all,

I wanted to ask - I know it's been discussed before, but it would help me if people could report again their child's magnesium dose? We are switching from MOM to liquid cal/mag. We've used cal/mag in the past for his muscles, so that works well for us.

My guy is about 70 pounds. Per his G.I., he was on 10cc (2 tea) of Milk of Magnesia a day. The liquid cal/mag is about 350mg/15cc, so I think that would be about 13-14cc a day for him to compare to the milk of magnesia?

sharry, aidan's mom

sorry for the dumb question, but taking MOM is just like getting magnesium, correct?

so you really don't need to supplement with any other forms of magnesium?

kathy

Re: listening to your pediatrician vs. gastro

> Hi Sharry,> Just a note about calculating magnesium dose to remind everyone that> it is necessary to look at the amount of "elemental magnesium" when> cross-comparing between different products. See message #3805 in the> archives for more on "elemental" magnesium and a link to an article> about this.> > For my son, he was taking about 400mg of elemental magnesium which> was about 12 mLs of liquid Cherry MOM. I believe cc is equivalent to> mL so if your child is taking 10mLs of liquid MOM I believe is> usually at a concentration of 500 mg elemental mag per tablespoon> (check the label of your bottle to confirm). This would mean your> child is getting 2/3 of 500 mg or ~333mg of elemental magnesium. > > So, now that I've worked through all that I see that it looks like> that would agree with your calculation of about 13-14 cc of the new> liquid!! (assuming the 350mg/ml refers to the elemental mag)...> > Also, here's a link I found useful for converting between cc's, mLs,> teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. > http://prescription.lifetips.com/tip/61519/basic-calculations/liquids/cc-s-ml-s-teaspoonfuls-and-tablespoonfuls.html> > best,> > > >>>> Hey all,>> >> I wanted to ask - I know it's been discussed before, but it would> help me if people could report again their child's magnesium dose? We> are switching from MOM to liquid cal/mag. We've used cal/mag in the> past for his muscles, so that works well for us.>> >> My guy is about 70 pounds. Per his G.I., he was on 10cc (2 tea) of> Milk of Magnesia a day. The liquid cal/mag is about 350mg/15cc, so I> think that would be about 13-14cc a day for him to compare to the milk> of magnesia? >> >> >> sharry, aidan's mom>>> > > > > >