RemedySpot.com

Re: Surprising antidote to daily headaches - dehumidifier

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Penny,

I REALLY hope you wake up headache free again tomorrow, but even if you don't, I'll be looking for one of them dehumidifiers for our house in the country because it's so damp I can't even go there, these days.

We have done all we can to get the damp out like we dug a ditch next to the house and put a drain in to drain the water away from the walls but it is still damp. Friends of ours go there in the summer and they don't seem to mind but I do.

And I know you're not getting enthused avery second day about gadgetty things :)) So thanks for the tip

Nelly

[infections] Surprising antidote to daily headaches - dehumidifier

I have something pretty remarkable to report regarding the ongoing migraines I've been dealing with.

As you know, I recently started a compounded nasal spray which is a combination of gentamycin, amphotericin B and dexamethasone, which has made me feel like a completely new person. All my inflammatory symptoms are pretty much gone and my energy is way up. The only lingering problem I've been having is waking up every morning with a migraine. Nothing I've tried so far has been able to interrupt this pattern until my friend recommended something which she adamantly insisted removed her facial pain symptoms not to mention need for pain meds.

It's probably going to sound strange but it's a simple dehumidifier. She started doing it because of water under her house & possible mold problem in her house. The results of the dehumidification were so dramatic for her as far as pain relief that I was compelled to try it myself on the off chance that removing moisture from the room (and my sinuses) might reduce whatever is triggering my migraines, whether it's mold or moisture loving bacteria. I got really lucky and found a really good refurbished dehumidifier on line for $99 and I'm kind of stunned to report that the first time I ran the dehumidifier (3 hours before going to bed) I pulled close to a gallon of water out of the air and had my first migraine free night in weeks!

It's weird because we live in a Mediterranean climate here in San Diego. Normally dry, not overly humid. BUT with all the landscape watering and perhaps being near the beach, I'm not surprised that my room's humidity read at 70% when I plugged the unit in. The dehumidifier got it down to 35% (which is supposedly optimum) and after sleeping in that envirionment I woke up headache free! It's like a miracle for me!

I feel like I'm finally on a really beneficial combination of abx, antifungals and environmental control, that's really helping me knock all this stuff back. I literally feel like I'm becoming my old (way old) self. My only hope is that the steroid in the nasal spray is not going to become problematic. I spoke with the pharmacist about the amount in the spray and she said that knocking back the infection is probably responsible for the relief in my inflammatory pain symptoms, so that was encouraging, but I also want to keep a close eye on any side effects that might come from the steroid and cut back on that if it becomes a problem. It's lower than the standard doses people use for chronic rhinitis, etc. so I'm hoping it's okay. So far, the only steroid side effect I'm experiencing is a big increase in appetite, which is really strange for me and probably not the best thing as I'm eating A LOT, but I'd way rather be fat than feel like cr*p. :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to report that stumbling across this dehumidification has had dramatic effects for 2 of us now. It kind of makes sense if you think about people moving to the desert for their joints/inflammatory arthritis, etc. It also makes sense that drying out the places that bacteria thrive could be a smart move. And it kind of makes sense for me anyway, as I grew up in Oregon where it's perpetually wet, and I probably established some of this bacterial/fungus overgrowth since childhood

We did that too, put in french drains (at least that's what we call them here, what do you call them? lol!) We did that when we discovered a broken pipe had been leaking water under our house for years. We tore up the floors, got rid of all the mold, and put in new floors and directed all the water away from the foundation. We got gigantic air cleaners and had the air tested for mold, so we thought we'd covered it. That's why I'm so shocked that this dehumidifier is still pulling so much water out of the upstairs bedroom where I sleep (and experience these continuous headaches). I'm now thinking I'm going to get another dehumidifier for downstairs, or get smaller ones for the kids individual rooms and see what happens with their various complaints, like mild asthma, etc. (by the way, my friend's asthma cleared up too with the dehumidifier). She has plaster walls, which are probably similar to your stone walls, in that they hold a

LOT of moisture. I bet you're going to really like getting the moisture out of there and hope you will finally be able to enjoy your country home, which sounds absolutely beautiful. (I'm so envious, I've always fantasized about living in the french country side.) Good luck. pennyNelly Pointis <janel@...> wrote: Penny, I REALLY hope you wake up headache free

again tomorrow, but even if you don't, I'll be looking for one of them dehumidifiers for our house in the country because it's so damp I can't even go there, these days. We have done all we can to get the damp out like we dug a ditch next to the house and put a drain in to drain the water away from the walls but it is still damp. Friends of ours go there in the summer and they don't seem to mind but I do. And I know you're not getting enthused avery second day about gadgetty things :)) So thanks for the tip Nelly [infections] Surprising antidote to daily headaches - dehumidifier I have something pretty remarkable to report regarding the ongoing migraines I've been dealing with. As you know, I recently started a compounded nasal spray which is a combination of gentamycin, amphotericin B and dexamethasone, which has made me feel like a completely new person. All my inflammatory symptoms are pretty much gone and my energy is way up. The only lingering problem I've been having is waking up every morning with a migraine. Nothing I've tried so far has been able to interrupt this

pattern until my friend recommended something which she adamantly insisted removed her facial pain symptoms not to mention need for pain meds. It's probably going to sound strange but it's a simple dehumidifier. She started doing it because of water under her house & possible mold problem in her house. The results of the dehumidification were so dramatic for her as far as pain relief that I was compelled to try it myself on the off chance that removing moisture from the room (and my sinuses) might reduce whatever is triggering my migraines, whether it's mold or moisture loving bacteria. I got really lucky and found a really good refurbished dehumidifier on line for $99 and I'm kind of stunned to report that the first time I ran the dehumidifier (3 hours before going to bed) I pulled close to a gallon of water out of the air and had my first migraine free night in weeks! It's weird because we live in a Mediterranean climate here in San Diego. Normally dry, not overly humid. BUT with all the landscape watering and perhaps being near the beach, I'm not surprised that my room's humidity read at 70% when I plugged the unit in. The dehumidifier got it down to 35% (which is supposedly optimum) and after sleeping in that envirionment I woke up headache free! It's like a miracle for me! I feel like I'm finally on a really beneficial combination of abx, antifungals and environmental control, that's really helping me knock all this stuff back. I literally feel like I'm becoming my old (way old) self. My only hope is that the steroid in the nasal spray is not going to become problematic. I spoke with the pharmacist about the amount in the spray and she said that knocking back the infection is probably responsible for the relief in my inflammatory pain symptoms, so that

was encouraging, but I also want to keep a close eye on any side effects that might come from the steroid and cut back on that if it becomes a problem. It's lower than the standard doses people use for chronic rhinitis, etc. so I'm hoping it's okay. So far, the only steroid side effect I'm experiencing is a big increase in appetite, which is really strange for me and probably not the best thing as I'm eating A LOT, but I'd way rather be fat than feel like cr*p. :-) Anyway, I just wanted to report that stumbling across this dehumidification has had dramatic effects for 2 of us now. It kind of makes sense if you think about people moving to the desert for their joints/inflammatory arthritis, etc. It also makes sense that drying out the places that bacteria thrive could be a smart move. And it kind of makes sense for me anyway, as I grew up in Oregon where it's perpetually wet, and I probably established some of this

bacterial/fungus overgrowth since childhood. Anyway, I'd really suggest that others consider the possibilities of dehumidification if you think there's any chance that moisture related bacteria or mold might be responsible for some of your illness symptoms. penny