problems. Perhaps by reducing external moisture as much as possible, the

internal fluids and pressure/inflammation are somehow slightly affected? This

isn't scientific, obviously. Just a guess at why reducing moisture in the

air has had such a big impact on me. Same for my friend as well. She

was getting so bad that just the touch of the pillow on her face was

causing pain. She had to put ultra soft things under her face and still was

sleepless due to pain in her face/head and jaw when lying down. Since

she started dehumidifying her room, that's no longer happening at all

and she's sleeping fine without pain. Weird, huh?

Interestingly, I found myself feeling better at 5000 metres, at the snowline.

R

RE: [infections] Humidity and head pressure?

Hello there,

Un-lurking temporarily again!

I find this topic very interesting. I have noticed extreme exacerbation of the ME in low pressure/damp conditions (today ain’t too clever!)and am at my happiest at sea level, inland, with high pressure and the lowest humidity possible. I understand Ramsay noted this phenomenon as part of the Royal Free outbreak, but i would be very interested to hear theories/ interventions surrounding this topic. Maybe de-humidifying IS the way to go?

Rosie

You know what? It occurred to me that if we pwc do have slightly elevated levels of fluid on the brain (intercranial hypertension), that drying our environment might somehow affect that pressure. I know it sounds silly, but it's well known that the slightest change of barometric pressure, which we're not even consciously aware of, triggers migraines in many, many people. The slightest imbalance of fluid inside and outside the ear drum can also cause severe pain and other problems. Perhaps by reducing external moisture as much as possible, the internal fluids and pressure/inflammation are somehow slightly affected? This isn't scientific, obviously. Just a guess at why reducing moisture in the air has had such a big impact on me. Same for my friend as well. She was getting so bad that just the touch of the pillow on her face was causing pain. She had to put ultra soft things under her face and still was sleepless due to pain in her face/head and jaw when lying down. Since she started dehumidifying her room, that's no longer happening at all and she's sleeping fine without pain. Weird, huh?

Hi Rosie, Glad you find it interesting too. I was feeling a bit like a lone wolf out here howling at the moon all by myself. :-) I'm intrigued by your experience and especially what you wrote about this having been explored before by Ramsay, as I've never really heard anything about it apart from the moisture/mold perspective. Can you elaborate on the Ramsay/Royal Free outbreak? pennyRosie <rosiecox@...> wrote:

Hello there, Un-lurking temporarily again! I find this topic very interesting. I have noticed extreme exacerbation of the ME in low pressure/damp conditions (today ain’t too clever!)and am at my happiest at sea level, inland, with high pressure and the lowest humidity possible. I understand Ramsay noted this phenomenon as part of the Royal Free outbreak, but i would be very interested to hear theories/ interventions surrounding this topic. Maybe de-humidifying IS the way to go? Rosie You know what? It occurred to me that if we pwc do have slightly elevated levels of fluid on the brain (intercranial hypertension), that drying our environment might somehow affect that pressure. I know it sounds silly, but it's well known that the slightest change of barometric pressure, which we're not even consciously aware of, triggers migraines in many, many people. The slightest imbalance of fluid inside and outside the ear drum can also cause severe pain and other problems. Perhaps by reducing external moisture as much as possible, the internal fluids and pressure/inflammation are somehow slightly affected? This isn't scientific, obviously. Just a guess at why reducing moisture in the air has had such a big impact on me. Same for my friend as well. She was getting so bad that just the touch of the pillow on her face was causing pain. She had to put ultra soft things under

her face and still was sleepless due to pain in her face/head and jaw when lying down. Since she started dehumidifying her room, that's no longer happening at all and she's sleeping fine without pain. Weird, huh?

Hi Penny,

Well I haven’t found that

much..perhaps a trawl of the literature would find more, but it was a great

relief when I found comment in some article that Ramsay had noted the links to

patients feeling worse and having problems adjusting to different weather

systems/ barometric pressure. I have terrible temperature problems,

exacerbated hugely by low pressure systems..if I can find better links I’ll

post them, but tbh this info seems to be rather thin on the ground.

Indeed, had I been aware of it earlier it may well have prevented some very

inappropriate px by some docs, and lessened a hell I found myself in as a

result of those drugs.

BW

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Glad you find it interesting too. I was feeling a bit like a

lone wolf out here howling at the moon all by myself. :-)

I'm intrigued by your experience and especially what you

wrote about this having been explored before by Ramsay, as I've never

really heard anything about it apart from the moisture/mold perspective.

Can you elaborate on the Ramsay/Royal Free outbreak?

penny

Rosie <rosiecox@...> wrote:

Hello there,

Un-lurking

temporarily again!

I find this

topic very interesting. I have noticed extreme exacerbation of the ME in

low pressure/damp conditions (today ain’t too clever!)and am at my

happiest at sea level, inland, with high pressure and the lowest humidity

possible. I understand Ramsay noted this phenomenon as part of the Royal

Free outbreak, but i would be very interested to hear theories/ interventions

surrounding this topic. Maybe de-humidifying IS the way to go?

Rosie

You know what? It occurred to me that if we pwc do have

slightly elevated levels of fluid on the brain (intercranial hypertension),

that drying our environment might somehow affect that pressure. I know it

sounds silly, but it's well known that the slightest change of

barometric pressure, which we're not even consciously aware of, triggers

migraines in many, many people. The slightest imbalance of fluid inside

and outside the ear drum can also cause severe pain and other

problems. Perhaps by reducing external moisture as much as possible, the

internal fluids and pressure/inflammation are somehow slightly affected? This

isn't scientific, obviously. Just a guess at why reducing moisture in the

air has had such a big impact on me. Same for my friend as well. She

was getting so bad that just the touch of the pillow on her face was

causing pain. She had to put ultra soft things under her face and still was

sleepless due to pain in her face/head and jaw when lying down. Since

she started dehumidifying her room, that's no longer happening at all

and she's sleeping fine without pain. Weird, huh?

Surprising about the altitude. Many pwcs seem to suffer altitude sickness, but that usually involves the quick ascent, not actually living there once they've adjusted. But the snow line thing doesn't surprise me at all, especially if you have inflammation. The Ice baths that football players take would probably do us all some good, if we could handle them. Anybody see House a while back? He was treating a sick scientist long distance at the north pole who had limited medical supplies. His theory was that her illness was "autoimmune" and since they were limited on testing materials, he wanted her to go outside (at 80 below) for 5 minutes to see if it stopped the rampant inflammation that was shutting down her kidneys, etc. If her symptoms abated, that would be proof that her inflammation was an "autoimmune" reaction. I thought his cold test was very interesting, as I've talked to numerous

people who experience symptom relief in cold climates. Ice has become my own best friend for treating migraines (which I know are triggered by inflammation). In case you were wondering, it turns out the scientist was sick because she had a broken toe and it was so cold ther she didn't realize it. The toe was infected and particles of placque (or something like that, I don't remember) were in her circulatory system. I don't really remember but it wasn't "autoimmune", it was her body trying to fight a foreign invader in her bloodstream. The natural immune response is the body's best hope, afterall, despite the fact it was killing her in the process. Sound familiar? :-) penny Windsor <rwindsor@...> wrote: Interestingly, I found myself feeling better at 5000 metres, at the snowline. R RE: [infections] Humidity

and head pressure? Hello there, Un-lurking temporarily again! I find this topic very interesting. I have noticed extreme exacerbation of the ME in low pressure/damp conditions (today ain’t too clever!)and am at my happiest at sea level, inland, with high pressure and the lowest humidity possible. I understand Ramsay noted this phenomenon as part of the Royal Free outbreak, but i would be very interested to hear theories/ interventions surrounding this topic. Maybe de-humidifying IS the way to go? Rosie You know what? It occurred to me that if we pwc do have slightly elevated levels of fluid on the brain (intercranial hypertension), that drying our environment might somehow affect that pressure. I know it sounds silly, but it's well known that the slightest change of barometric pressure, which we're not even consciously aware of, triggers migraines in many, many people. The slightest imbalance of fluid inside and outside the ear drum can also cause severe pain and other problems. Perhaps by reducing external moisture as much as possible, the internal fluids and pressure/inflammation are somehow slightly affected? This isn't scientific, obviously. Just a guess at why reducing moisture in the air has had such a big impact on me. Same for my friend as well. She was getting so bad that just the touch of

the pillow on her face was causing pain. She had to put ultra soft things under her face and still was sleepless due to pain in her face/head and jaw when lying down. Since she started dehumidifying her room, that's no longer happening at all and she's sleeping fine without pain. Weird, huh?