RemedySpot.com

CFS & QT Interval Test

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2008/06/01/diagnosing-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-the-qt-interval-why-its-important.htm

Diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - The QT Interval & Why

it's Important

A couple of questions for those of you with chronic fatigue syndrome

- first, did you know your heart can provide objective support for your

diagnosis, and also objectively separate chronic

fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS)

from fibromyalgia

(FMS)?

Second, has a doctor ever suggested checking your QT interval to

confirm your diagnosis?

What's a QT interval? During an

electrocardiogram (EKG), the machine maps out your heart's electrical

cycle in a jagged line. A doctor then marks specific points on that

line with letters. Then, he or she can measure the amount of time

between the "Q" point and the "T" point, and that's the QT interval.

Earlier studies show a short QT interval is extremely rare in the

general population, yet showed up in most people with ME/CFS. Now, a

new study published in the European Journal of Internal Medicine

shows that QT interval measurements, taken by EKG during tilt tests,

can distinguish ME/CFS from FMS 87% of the time.

Meanwhile, we know that many of us with these conditions are

misdiagnosed, and as treatments become more specific to the disorders a

correct diagnosis becomes more important. Even with lifestyle changes,

you get different dietary

and supplement

recommendations, and there's a big difference in exercise

tolerance.

While the QT interval may not be enough to conclusively diagnose

ME/CFS, when we're all desperate for objective measures to prove to

doctors, insurance companies, the disability folks, employers, friends

and family that YES, we really are sick, why is this test

largely being ignored?

Has a doctor ever mentioned this test to you? Has your QT interval

been measured? Do you think the American health care system could be

ignoring this research because most of it has been published only in

Europe? Share your thoughts and experiences here or in About.com's Fibromyalgia &

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome forum.

Guest guest

Yeah, I went to a local cardiologist, who's supposedly sympathetic, and asked for this test and he refused, citing it as hopelessly out of date. Finding someone to do it, and then feel confident that it's actually going to be helpful info became a hurdle I didn't feel like jumping. penny Al Melillo <melillo3@...> wrote: From: http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2008/06/01/diagnosing-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-the-qt-interval-why-its-important.htm Diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - The QT Interval & Why it's Important A couple of questions for those of you with chronic fatigue syndrome - first, did you know your heart can provide objective support for your diagnosis, and also objectively separate chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS) from fibromyalgia (FMS)? Second, has a doctor ever suggested checking your QT interval to

confirm your diagnosis? What's a QT interval? During an electrocardiogram (EKG), the machine maps out your heart's electrical cycle in a jagged line. A doctor then marks specific points on that line with letters. Then, he or she can measure the amount of time between the "Q" point and the "T" point, and that's the QT interval. Earlier studies show a short QT interval is extremely rare in the general population, yet showed up in most people with ME/CFS. Now, a new study published in the European Journal of Internal Medicine shows that QT interval measurements, taken by EKG during tilt tests, can distinguish ME/CFS from FMS 87% of the time. Meanwhile, we know that many of us with these conditions are misdiagnosed, and as treatments become more specific to the disorders a correct diagnosis becomes more important. Even with lifestyle changes, you get different dietary and supplement recommendations, and there's a big difference in exercise tolerance. While the QT interval may not be enough to conclusively diagnose ME/CFS, when we're all desperate for objective measures to prove to doctors, insurance companies, the disability folks, employers, friends and family that YES, we really are sick, why is this test largely being ignored? Has a doctor ever mentioned this test to you? Has your QT interval been measured? Do you think the American health care system could be ignoring this research because most of it has been published only in Europe? Share your thoughts and experiences here or in About.com's Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome forum.