RemedySpot.com

Re: just wondering???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would just have an absolute no tolerance policy with any physical that means the 19 year old can not longer roughhouse in the house no exceptions. No hitting, poking etc. My son had an issue with smacking people on the back and butt shoving and biting. That goes for everyone in the house. My husband even had to watch his playful patting on my butt. Or my son would say that he broke the rules and dad would have to have a punishment to. He had to go into time out or not be able to go onto the computer for 2 days etc.

We did not even give warnings we sat down all together as a family and discussed the new rule and that was all the warning they got.

I think kids with autism can not understand the difference between rough housing and fighting and a husband loving pat on the butt or a smack.

Subject: just wondering???To: AutismBehaviorProblems , ShadowSyndromeKids , ShadowSyndromeTeens Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 4:34 PM

Hi,My AS son is 12 and I have noticed a regression lately.He is becoming more physical. Like he will headlock people or playfullyshove them, but he does it hard!I have fibromyalgia so he knows that "poking" moms side is painful..butyet he keeps doing it, even after I am very angry and ignore himcompletely.I was attributing it to stress. But we have a relative visiting for acouple months (lives nearby) and he roughhouses a lot!He is older (19) but his way of socialiizing is rough play. I amstarting to wonder if that is carrying over to my sons other socialinteractions. I have tried to talk to him and say....you cant squeezzzeegrandma. you cant headlock grandpa! It hurts them and its disrespectful.He seems to have no control and just is overcome and needs to dosomething "physical" Any ideas?Allie

I work with middle school students on the spectrum, and I would say it is

an increase in his testosterone levels causing the increased aggression. I

don't think it is a form of regression so much as the inevitable growing-up 'thang'.

It is a normal part of the male maturation process to recognize their new found

muscular strength and 'test/play' with it, but hard for one on the spectrum to

know how to handle these urges appropriately. If you haven't explained the

developmental changes he's going to be going through, now would be a good time.

Understanding why he's feeling these odd things will help him deal with them more

effectively and without adding fear and anxieties to the mix.

Also, giving him appropriate outlets for his need to release his aggressive feelings is

IMPORTANT. They won't go away unless you medicate, so if you just say NO to

everything he'll become very frustrated on top of having the need to release these

hormonally driven spikes in energy. Teach him when and where it is appropriate, based

on your family and his needs. Maybe he could have one sparring match a day/week with this

cousin who is visiting, or perhaps sign him up for a martial arts class, provide him with

a light punching bag or kicking column thingy, jump roping, bike riding, etc. Whatever

ways he would be safe and enjoy releasing some of this energy.

Hope this helps,

Belle

Hi,My AS son is 12 and I have noticed a regression lately.He is becoming more physical. Like he will headlock people or playfullyshove them, but he does it hard!I have fibromyalgia so he knows that " poking " moms side is painful..but

yet he keeps doing it, even after I am very angry and ignore himcompletely.I was attributing it to stress. But we have a relative visiting for acouple months (lives nearby) and he roughhouses a lot!He is older (19) but his way of socialiizing is rough play. I am

starting to wonder if that is carrying over to my sons other socialinteractions. I have tried to talk to him and say....you cant squeezzzeegrandma. you cant headlock grandpa! It hurts them and its disrespectful.

He seems to have no control and just is overcome and needs to dosomething " physical " Any ideas?Allie