RemedySpot.com

Sibling problems and education them

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I haven't posted here because I'm still in the testing process

(nearing the end) and still working out my questions.

I really need to address a problem though pretty quickly.

My 9 y/o son who has now been officially diagnosed with High

Functioning Autism, has frequent run ins with his sister who is seven.

The battles are getting more violent although they are short lived.

(Fighting one minute - playing and laughing together the next.)

Most of the problems arise because my daughter is touchy feely, teases

to get attention etc. My son is oversensitive to touch, highly

defensive and often completely misinterprets her behaviour seeing it

as an attack as opposed to wanting to play or connect with him. She

feels rejected and teases more because she's hurt.

He initiates the tease too but misinterprets her reactions in a way

that it's her fault. Needless to say it's hard to sort it out for them.

She is aware that her brother has problems but I need to educate both

of them more and I don't want to blow it our lower his self esteem

more than it is. He already feels different and dumb.

Does anyone know of educational resources for autistic children and

their siblings?

Is anyone else having these problems? We are homeschooling so we have

a lot of time to work through these issues as a family, but need more

info!

Thanks,

Jane

HI my son is 9 too but my daughter is 11. I read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Siblings-Children-Autism-Familes-Topics/dp/1890627291

I thought it was informative. My daughter is now starting to get it. Still has a hard time with her brother but she is understanding him more. Just got explain per their age and what they can handle.

She still pushes his buttons.

Good luck,

Jane

To: AutismBehaviorProblems From: chesshir@...Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:36:48 +0000Subject: Sibling problems and education them

I haven't posted here because I'm still in the testing process(nearing the end) and still working out my questions.I really need to address a problem though pretty quickly. My 9 y/o son who has now been officially diagnosed with HighFunctioning Autism, has frequent run ins with his sister who is seven.The battles are getting more violent although they are short lived. (Fighting one minute - playing and laughing together the next.)Most of the problems arise because my daughter is touchy feely, teasesto get attention etc. My son is oversensitive to touch, highlydefensive and often completely misinterprets her behaviour seeing itas an attack as opposed to wanting to play or connect with him. Shefeels rejected and teases more because she's hurt. He initiates the tease too but misinterprets her reactions in a waythat it's her fault. Needless to say it's hard to sort it out for them.She is aware that her brother has problems but I need to educate bothof them more and I don't want to blow it our lower his self esteemmore than it is. He already feels different and dumb.Does anyone know of educational resources for autistic children andtheir siblings? Is anyone else having these problems? We are homeschooling so we havea lot of time to work through these issues as a family, but need moreinfo!Thanks,Jane Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.

Dear Jane...we too have read that book and it is so helpful. My 5 1/2 yr old has a hard time with 's vocal stimming...she's a quiet one, or rather enjoys quiet, and her sweet little brother is very loud...Anyhow...we are making it work and Lily will be better for it...so will .

Blessings,

e

To: autismbehaviorproblems <autismbehaviorproblems >Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 10:14:34 PMSubject: RE: Sibling problems and education them

HI my son is 9 too but my daughter is 11. I read this book: http://www.amazon. com/Siblings- Children- Autism-Familes- Topics/dp/ 1890627291 I thought it was informative. My daughter is now starting to get it. Still has a hard time with her brother but she is understanding him more. Just got explain per their age and what they can handle. She still pushes his buttons. Good luck,Jane

To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comFrom: chesshiraltrionet (DOT) comDate: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:36:48 +0000Subject: Sibling problems and education them

I haven't posted here because I'm still in the testing process(nearing the end) and still working out my questions.I really need to address a problem though pretty quickly. My 9 y/o son who has now been officially diagnosed with HighFunctioning Autism, has frequent run ins with his sister who is seven.The battles are getting more violent although they are short lived. (Fighting one minute - playing and laughing together the next.)Most of the problems arise because my daughter is touchy feely, teasesto get attention etc. My son is oversensitive to touch, highlydefensive and often completely misinterprets her behaviour seeing itas an attack as opposed to wanting to play or connect with him. Shefeels rejected and teases more because she's hurt. He initiates the tease too but misinterprets her reactions in a waythat it's her fault. Needless to say it's hard to sort it

out for them.She is aware that her brother has problems but I need to educate bothof them more and I don't want to blow it our lower his self esteemmore than it is. He already feels different and dumb.Does anyone know of educational resources for autistic children andtheir siblings? Is anyone else having these problems? We are homeschooling so we havea lot of time to work through these issues as a family, but need moreinfo!Thanks,Jane

Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.