the Science Bowl in Honolulu so I am not competing with him for

access to the computer.

Good luck, take care, aloha, kathy (h)

kathy.hi@...

> Hi, My 8 yr old son was recently diagnosed with OCD, ADD, and other

> learning disabilities. His OCD seems somewhat atypical in that he

> doesn't have any compulsions, but is more obsessive. He gets stuck

> on thought or ideas. He doesn't have any insight to his OCD. He

> can't verbalize or explain his thoughts; just that he gets stuck.

> He is on Prozac and that has been very helpful. He'll now even

> acknowledge that he has OCD, where he wouldn't previously. I am

> concerned because his lack of insight makes CBT difficult. We have

> implemented a few other strategies that his psychologist and he

> worked out and that seems to be helpful. I would appreciate any

> guidance or suggestions that you would have. I look forward to

> participating in this group. Where can I learn how to est manage

> and kkep up with this board? Until next time.

• 1 month later...

Laurie

We went through a very similar situation with my daughter at age 13 she told

us that she

was afraid she wanted to kill us and herself. She is 17 now mostly doing

better except

recently as is in my other post. She is on prozac and zyprexa which

definately help. and is

in counseling. I think that was probably the worse day of my life since she

is typically

a warm caring kid. Give it some time it will get better unfortunately ocd

rears its

ugly head when the kids get stresses. Hugs to you and your daughter , you

will find alot

of support here, keep us posted. Lori T in NJ

Hi Laurie,

I know what you mean, her having OCD actually being a relief what

with the things she was thinking! :) I'm glad she was actually able

to let you know she was having these thoughts. That's such a huge

step to take, telling someone!

I wish my would just admit " OCD " ! (see my next post!)

Has puberty begun to kick in any yet? Was wondering if you think

it's playing a part in her OCD as to it seems to have been triggered

by it or is getting worse due to puberty or.... I feel like it

played a part with along the way since 6th grade (he's in 9th

now). I know girls generally begin puberty earlier than boys though.

Sounds like you've been able to find some knowledgeable professionals

to help too, that's really great! Hope the Zoloft kicks in real soon.

I also can only imagine what sufferers must go through when they have

such thoughts and actually worry about possibly " doing " something and

having them seem so real. But it must be such a relief to find out

that they're not alone. (like the article)

Please keep us updated on how she & family are doing and how she's

doing on the Zoloft! And welcome to the group!

> Our 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with OCD in January.

ly,

> it was a huge relief to me because, after hearing her " confess " her

> morbid thoughts to me, I did think she was either " going crazy " or

> was possibly a psychopath. Her thoughts about sex and/or harming

> others were so unbelievably disturbing that I couldn't even tell my

> husband about them at first. One of her thoughts (about stabbing

me)

> made me wonder if I should hide the knives or lock my bedroom door

at

Hi, Laurie. Welcome to the group. It's wonderful that you are getting

treatment for your daughter and hopefully, she will be feeling better soon. I

have

two daughters with OCD-- (10) was diagnosed at 7 and Hannah (13) was

diagnosed at 11 but her onset was at 10. They both take medication and go to

therapy. sees a therapist to learn social skills and Hannah is doing ERP

with her therapist. Their OCD is different from each other. has mostly

thoughts, fears, and worries while Hannah has all that plus compulsions. The

medication has definitely made both of them better! Please keep posting. I

know that the beginning is a very hard time but it does get better! Kelley in

NV

• 1 year later...

Hi, Stan I think?

I saw the video on the Generation Rescue

website.  I can send you the link if you wish.  Some parent must have added it

to the website if you didn’t put it there. 

My ASD son hasn’t started the spray

yet as we were just prescribed and it hasn’t been shipped from Wellness

yet.  I’m hoping for big things with the spray.  I guess we’ll do

the shots if the spray isn’t easy to administer (he’s 2 ½).  I don’t

know if he has herpes as we haven’t done many viral tests yet.  He did

get shingles from the chicken pox vaccine and we know he has other viral

issues.

Have a great day,

Pam

new to

group

just wondering where to see the video? and what type

of kids is this

treatment helping the most PDD/NOS HF MF LF and is

it more effective

with kids that you know have the herpes virus or

does that not seem to

make a diffrence as to who is a responder? ive

read some posts about

being an mb12 responder alone so does this seem to

make a diffrence as

to effectiveness? so curious to it all, it makes

sense and really want

to give it a go with both my boys each sitting at

diffrent places on

the spectrum, each having responded to diffrent

treatments along the

way.

• 2 years later...

a,

I can relate in so much you have said. I have 3 kids. is is almost 13, is 10 and is 5. was diagnosed with ASD in May and also SI. She also has a tick disorder. has autism, a seizure disorder and also SI. I am married to Jim and we live in Aurora IL. Where are you from? Welcome to the group.

Stacie

Hi Everyone,

My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4 months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than mama and dada (with no meaning), but he didn’t start to lose eye contact or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month vaccinations. I don’t fully believe that these shots caused my son’s autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-verbal with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires. We tried ABA, PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn’t respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason. When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to understand that he is hurting me. I tell him “no†and I think he understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently pulled my mom’s hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he says “aaahhhhh†and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets “overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and “mess up†things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn’t seem to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.

I often think about his future and fear that my family will never truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much attention and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older that, since he is so big (he’s only 4 taller than my 5 year old and weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and I won’t be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially during tantrums.

I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.

It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that already have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues, etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future will be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep. My children’s father is a tremendous help, but both of us are exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for Donovan.

I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their medicine, and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make people think that “they need their medicine†when in fact their body is going through withdrawal.

I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other kids cry and get scared>)

I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your children get through the school district and if you get daily living skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

a Calderon

______________________________________________________________________This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.______________________________________________________________________

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Hello a,

My name is , I am a 21 year old mother of two kids aged 1 year-girl and a 2 year old boy. My son also has Autism. Diagnosed at 18 months.My son also spoke as a very young child (about 9 - 11 months ) saying things like mama ,baba dada, sometime with the meaning of the word and other times just to say it. Then very suddenly around his 1st bithday he stopped all words and we noticed how he was always in his own little world and didn't make eye contact and was very affraid of other people. We soon found out why. It was very hard for me still is sometimes. But I was able to move forward and relialize that he was still the same I have aways known and loved and I would love him no matter what. As I'm sure you have.

Your son's symptoms sound alot like my son's as well.... He is a stimmer. He stands on his tippy toes alot when he is excited, he flails his arms and makes very loud vocalizations and yells as well, he also runs back in forth when excited (while yelling ) he is very lovey to us and he is very rough.... he does pull hair sometimes or kick also not on purpose but we are usually able to control his aggresiveness. He is usually a very happy boy but can throw small tantrums here and there. Those are also usually easily nutrealized. is able to express what he needs in a very small manner right now. does some signs...."more" and he has almost conqeured " all done " ,he also is doing well with the PECS system ((( goes to a developmentally disabled pre-school locally 5 days a week for about 3 hours every morning. He recieves ABA style teaching. He is recieving Speech, Occupational therapy, and one on one

developmental therapy.He has been going for a year in December. It is really doing him good.))) Anyways.... hope i haven't lost you yet...haha has just recently been giving us a few words and sounds! He said "mama "once at school, he has also been saying "mo" for more and using the sign as well as saying the "baba" sound ALOT and saying it here at home and at school "bubbles". ( jason is a big fan of bubbles)

When it comes to our family people are just curios and accepting but get togethers can be hard. I am very sorry to hear that your family is not very accepting and weary of your son.My daughter..... well she has her up and downs with him. When she was a baby she would get very scared and cry while jason was beeing very over excited and loud but over time she seemed to overcome it and except it. She still can get a litlle fussy sometimes. As for how they get along... most of the time they are together and knows she is there but does not really bother with her and other times they will fight over something and he will try to move her and if she does not move he will shove her causing her to cry for a good 10 minutes sometimes. But most of the time they are nice. I do catch him holding her hand sometimes or trying to hug her, some sort of affection so I know he must love her.

My daughter, andria, also does not talk yet she is 18 months.. I know she is still young so I'm not super worried. She does have a few words and sounds but I think she is too lazy sometimes to say anything. She does say "mama" ,"baba" "yeah" ,and makes the "e "sound but like I said not alot because I think she doesn't have the example from her brother and also being lazy.I am not worried about Autism though . She makes good eye contact and just doesn't have many syptoms. She is very curious of and always wants to do what he is. She definitaly loves him and has grown to be understanding of his loudness and over excitability.

My son has alot of sensory issues... what about your son??? My jason is a very picky eater. Having a very small food selection. All food alike in texture and color, he always wants things in his mouth. We have chewies for him and he still sucks on a binky at nap and bed time. throws little crums and things while eating..... he just doesn't seem to like them I guess. haha.

I also share your feeling with not wanting to medicate your son.. I don't think I ever will. Right now my sons treatment seems to be working.Besides the speech improvements he has regained eye contact and is improving motor skills and so forth. He has also opened up more socially to other people wich I think is the biggest improvement he has made.

I am sorry to hear about your son's treatment not working so well. I am interested in what he is getting right now for help. There were so many alike features in your story to mine and I really hope that we could get to know each other well. I have been hoping to find someone with the same struggles as myself. I wish you the best and I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks for reading... i know it was very long haha.

New to Group

Hi Everyone,

My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4 months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than mama and dada (with no meaning), but he didn’t start to lose eye contact or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month vaccinations. I don’t fully believe that these shots caused my son’s autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with pictures to say what he wants

every now and then. He is non-verbal with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires. We tried ABA , PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn’t respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason. When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to understand that he is hurting me. I tell him “no” and I think he understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently pulled my mom’s hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the time.

He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he says “aaahhhhh” and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets “overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and “mess up” things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn’t seem to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.

I often think about his future and fear that my family will never truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much attention and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older that, since he is so big (he’s only 4 taller than my 5 year old and weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and I won’t be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially during tantrums.

I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.

It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that already have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues, etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future will be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep. My children’s father is a tremendous help, but both of us are exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for Donovan.

I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their medicine, and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make people think that “they need their medicine” when in fact their body is going through withdrawal.

I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other kids cry and get scared>)

I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your children get through the school district and if you get daily living skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

a Calderon

______________________________________________________________________This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.______________________________________________________________________

Hello...and Welcome to the group :) It is a wonderful group. I have a child who is very young yet, so I have no suggestions...other than to say welcome --- take a look, as there are many here who have walked similar paths...we are all in this together, and while I'm sad that so many of our children are diagnosed with ASD, I'm so very grateful for all the mother's who have walked this path before, and can teach me. Blessings to you...

e

New to Group

Recent Activity

New MembersVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Achy Joint?

Common arthritis

myths debunked.

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Zone

Connect w/ others

who love cats.

Oh wow! You were in a coma because of strep? I have never had it and my kids and husband don't get it but my best friend who I have known since birth literally gets it all the time and so do her kids!Stacie BAurora ILSent via BlackBerry by AT&TDate: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:05:01 -0000To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: New to Group Hi Kellie,thank you from my heart for sharing your families story. You bring the reality of love,courage and loss to me. My prayers go out to you,family to family. I would like the families to please understand I am only speaking of vaccinations in regards to my own children. 2 of my children had reactions to the shots because of the way their bodies, systems dealt with them. They had all their primary shots wich allowed discovery of their reactions to be verified. They did have the alternative type dose for polio. Their pediatrician advised no further shots,boosters ect. because of fevers and convulsions following mmr/dpt. They did not complete their schedules under the advice of our pediatrician. It does cause me to worry. I had strep at age 14. It traveled into my organs. I was in a coma because of strep. Tishanne - In AutismBehaviorProblems , Kellie Folkerts wrote: > > > Hi ,  >   >   I know what I'm about to say isn't going to be popular but I have to say it.  I'm not trying to scare anyone or change anyones mind on anything but groups are about sharing your personal experience and I really feel the need to share this with you all.  was 2 and we had just started seeing a DAN doctor.  My daughter had just been born and he recommended no vaccines for her.  We were (and still are) very afraid of having another autistic child so we didn't give her any.  When she was 10 months I asked about giving her some on a different schedule(not so many at one time) and he said yes when she was 2 we would start them.  On Dec. 8 2003 I put to bed she was fine and the next morning she was gone.  She had contracted Strep which turned into meningitis and it went so quickly it only took hours from onset to death.  We will always regret not having her vaccinated  and we can't take it back.  Our daughter Paige was born in > 2005 and we had her vaccinated at a slower rate.  I'm really not trying to scare anyone.  I just needed to tell you what we have experienced.  Kellie > > > > Hi Everyone, > > > > My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4 > months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years > (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he > was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than mama > and dada (with no meaning), but he didn't start to lose eye contact > or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month > vaccinations. I don't fully believe that these shots caused my son's > autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since > his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The > most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things > he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he > wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with > pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-verbal > with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires. > We tried ABA , PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn't > respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason. > When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is > affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and > likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving > affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the > sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to > understand that he is hurting me. I tell him " no " and I think he > understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently > pulled my mom's hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he > pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him > because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the > time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his > eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he > stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can > almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he says > " aaahhhhh " and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets > " overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to > crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of > tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and " mess up " > things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He > used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in > front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn't seem > to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid > the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all > over the house and tear up the strings in carpet. > > > > I often think about his future and fear that my family will never > truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much attention > and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older > that, since he is so big (he's only 4 taller than my 5 year old and > weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and > I won't be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially > during tantrums. > > > > I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at > or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be > for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my > family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his > aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is > neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep > thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it. > > > > It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that already > have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues, > etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future will > be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I > go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep. > My children's father is a tremendous help, but both of us are > exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for > Donovan. > > > > I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these > stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but > given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of > their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children > who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their medicine, > and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and > they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make > people think that " they need their medicine " when in fact their body > is going through withdrawal. > > > > I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out > causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other > kids cry and get scared>) > > > > I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice > on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your > children get through the school district and if you get daily living > skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services. > > > > Thanks for taking the time to read my story. > > > > a Calderon > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >__________________________________________________________ > > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, > using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more > information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http:// > www.mci.com. > > >__________________________________________________________ > > >_________________________________________________________ _____________ > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http:// www.mci. com. >_________________________________________________________ _____________ >_________________________________________________________ _____________ > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http:// www.mci. com. >_________________________________________________________ _____________ >

There are actually a few homeopathic

remedies that will knock it out without antibiotics. We stopped using

Antibiotics for it after his 2nd round last spring. Our naturopath

suggested a homeopathic product called “Angiplex” which you can get

at some natural medicine stores and some Super Supp stores. It is a natural

anti-bacterial for throat related illnesses…when my kiddo would get a

sore throat we give him Angiplex (a sublingual, dissolve in the mouth tasteless

tablet) 2x a day for 2 days and the strep was gone. That’s what we use

now when we can tell a strep infection is coming on.

Works for us, anyway. There are other

natural products that will work quickly against bacterial infections, if you

are wanting to avoid traditional antibiotics.

Dora in WA

[mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of Two Blessings

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008

9:57 AM

To:

AutismBehaviorProblems

Subject: Re: Re: New

to Group

That's why

anitibiotics are soooooooooo imprtant with strep...step is bacterial, not viral

and it does not go away on its own.....

e

Re: Re: New to Group

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo!

Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Cat Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

discuss everything

related to cats.

Hi, Dora...yes! there are different types. There isn't a vaccination against "strep throat" for sure......NOR should there be, our babies don't need one more :) The meningitis one for kids is the vaccination I am talking about (I think that's what Kellie was too)...anyhow, yes, thanks for clarifying.

Also --- one can still get strep without the tonsils...check that out, because I've always heard that if you are going to get strep it is best on the tonsils (as they are the protector), then the back of throat, etc...strep does not discriminate between tonsils and other parts of the mouth....

Now chronic tonsillitis is another story with regard to having anything removed...I'm rambling and you probably know all this stuff better than I anyway.

Have a good, good day!

e :)

Re: New to Group

Hi Kellie,thank you from my heart for sharing your families story. You bring the reality of love,courage and loss to me. My prayers go out to you,family to family. I would like the families to please understand I am only speaking of vaccinations in regards to my own children. 2 of my children had reactions to the shots because of the way their bodies, systems dealt with them. They had all their primary shots wich allowed discovery of their reactions to be verified. They did have the alternative type dose for polio. Their pediatrician advised no further shots,boosters ect. because of fevers and convulsions following mmr/dpt. They did not complete their schedules under the advice of our pediatrician. It does cause me to worry. I had strep at age 14. It traveled into my organs. I was in a coma because of strep.Tishanne- In AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com, Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts@ ...> wrote:>> > Hi , > > I know what I'm about to say isn't going to be popular but I have to say it. I'm not trying to scare anyone or change anyones mind on anything but groups are about sharing your personal experience and I really feel the need to share this with you all. was 2 and we had just started seeing a DAN doctor. My daughter had just been born and he recommended no vaccines for her. We were (and still are) very afraid of having another autistic child so we didn't give her any. When she was 10 months I asked about giving her some on a different schedule(not so many at one time) and he said yes when she was 2 we would start them.

On Dec. 8 2003 I put to bed she was fine and the next morning she was gone. She had contracted Strep which turned into meningitisand it went so quickly it only took hours from onset to death. We will always regret not having her vaccinated and we can't take it back. Our daughter Paige was born in> 2005 and we had her vaccinated at a slower rate. I'm really not trying to scare anyone. I just needed to tell you what we have experienced. Kellie> >> > Hi Everyone,> > > > My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4 > months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years > (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he > was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than

mama > and dada (with no meaning), but he didn't start to lose eye contact > or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month > vaccinations. I don't fully believe that these shots caused my son's > autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since > his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The > most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things > he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he > wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with > pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-verbal > with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires. > We tried ABA , PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn't > respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason. > When he gets upset he

will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is > affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and > likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving > affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the > sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to > understand that he is hurting me. I tell him "no" and I think he > understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently > pulled my mom's hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he > pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him > because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the > time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his > eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he > stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can > almost feel the

excitement and energy building up in him and he says > "aaahhhhh" and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets > "overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to > crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of > tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and "mess up" > things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He > used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in > front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn't seem > to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid > the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all > over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.> > > > I often think about his future and fear that my family will never > truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much

attention > and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older > that, since he is so big (he's only 4 taller than my 5 year old and > weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and > I won't be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially > during tantrums.> > > > I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at > or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be > for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my > family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his > aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is > neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep > thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.> > > > It is difficult to say the least, raising four

kids that already > have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues, > etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future will > be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I > go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep. > My children's father is a tremendous help, but both of us are > exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for > Donovan.> > > > I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these > stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but > given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of > their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children > who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their medicine, > and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their

system and > they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make > people think that "they need their medicine" when in fact their body > is going through withdrawal.> > > > I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out > causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other > kids cry and get scared>)> > > > I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice > on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your > children get through the school district and if you get daily living > skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.> > > > Thanks for taking the time to read my story.> > > > a Calderon> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > >____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, > using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more > information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://> www.mci.com.> > >____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> >>____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____________ _> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci. com.>____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____________ _>____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________

____________ _> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs.. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci. com.>____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____________ _>

My poor son had to have the intraveniously 4 times a day when he contracted it

Recent Activity

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Cat Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

discuss everything

related to cats.

Hi, Dora...this is another personal decision we each have to make...I choose to do it the old-fashioned way, as strep is something I won't mess with; however, I am a big proponent of doing natural as long as the risk isn't something that concerns me.

e

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Cat Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

discuss everything

related to cats.

God love him!!!! So glad he got what he needed...

e

Recent Activity

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Cat Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

discuss everything

related to cats.

Thanks for the info. For us ditching on the table sugar helped.

Drinks and food have a way of leaving residue. Drinking water after

ice cream,milk has kept us healthy. I have my kids drink a little

water before bed. Without that my kids used to get swollen

tonsils,colds. Now its pretty rare. All of us have kept our tonsils

and it helped my kids not to have bladder trouble,infection from

holding or dental problems. Lemon or lime sliced or squeezed in a cup

of water is really good for the ph levels and helps that balance in

the mouth and throat so it wont grow the nasties. We also use sea

salt because the minerals are still available. The bodies ph is so

important to health. You can buy a really cool little book and test

kit on amazon called " Home test ph kit " Dr.s check ph with cbc blood

tests. Its easy to do at home.

Tishanne

- In AutismBehaviorProblems , Two Blessings

wrote:

>

> Hi, Dora...yes!  there are different types.  There isn't a

vaccination against " strep throat " for sure......NOR should there be,

our babies don't need one more :) The meningitis one for kids is the

vaccination I am talking about (I think that's what Kellie was

too)...anyhow, yes, thanks for clarifying.

>  

> Also --- one can still get strep without the tonsils...check that

out, because I've always heard that if you are going to get strep it

is best on the tonsils (as they are the protector), then the back of

throat, etc...strep does not discriminate between tonsils and other

parts of the mouth....

>  

> Now chronic tonsillitis is another story with regard to having

anything removed...I'm rambling and you probably know all this stuff

better than I anyway.

>  

> Have a good, good day!

>  

> e :)

>

>

> Re: New to Group

> Hi Kellie,thank you from my heart for sharing your families story.

> You bring the reality of love,courage and loss to me. My prayers go

> out to you,family to family. I would like the families to please

> understand I am only speaking of vaccinations in regards to my own

> children. 2 of my children had reactions to the shots because of

the

> way their bodies, systems dealt with them. They had all their

primary

> shots wich allowed discovery of their reactions to be verified.

They

> did have the alternative type dose for polio. Their pediatrician

> advised no further shots,boosters ect. because of fevers and

> convulsions following mmr/dpt. They did not complete their

schedules

> under the advice of our pediatrician. It does cause me to worry. I

> had strep at age 14. It traveled into my organs. I was in a coma

> because of strep.

>

> Tishanne

> - In AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com, Kellie Folkerts

> <kelliefolkerts@ ...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hi ,

> >

> > I know what I'm about to say isn't going to be popular but I have

> to say it. I'm not trying to scare anyone or change anyones mind on

> anything but groups are about sharing your personal experience and

I

> really feel the need to share this with you all. was 2 and we

> had just started seeing a DAN doctor. My daughter had just

> been born and he recommended no vaccines for her. We were (and

still

> are) very afraid of having another autistic child so we didn't give

> her any. When she was 10 months I asked about giving her some on a

> different schedule(not so many at one time) and he said yes when

she

> was 2 we would start them. On Dec. 8 2003 I put to bed she

> was fine and the next morning she was gone. She had contracted

Strep

> which turned into meningitisand it went so quickly it only took

> hours from onset to death. We will always regret not having her

> vaccinated and we can't take it back. Our daughter Paige was born in

> > 2005 and we had her vaccinated at a slower rate. I'm really not

> trying to scare anyone. I just needed to tell you what we have

> experienced. Kellie

> > >

> > > Hi Everyone,

> > >

> > > My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4

> > months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years

> > (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when

he

> > was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than

mama

> > and dada (with no meaning), but he didn't start to lose eye

contact

> > or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month

> > vaccinations. I don't fully believe that these shots caused my

> son's

> > autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system.

> Since

> > his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped.

The

> > most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing

things

> > he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something

> he

> > wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device

with

> > pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-

verbal

> > with no real functional communication for daily needs and

desires.

> > We tried ABA , PECS and signing for the first year and he

wouldn't

> > respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent

reason.

> > When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is

> > affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and

> > likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving

> > affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the

> > sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem

to

> > understand that he is hurting me. I tell him " no " and I think he

> > understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has

> recently

> > pulled my mom's hair and she was shocked- I never told her that

he

> > pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around

him

> > because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the

> > time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of

> his

> > eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When

he

> > stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can

> > almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he

> says

> > " aaahhhhh " and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets

> > " overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to

> > crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of

> > tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and " mess up "

> > things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands.

He

> > used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them

in

> > front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn't

> seem

> > to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to

> unbraid

> > the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all

> > over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.

> > >

> > > I often think about his future and fear that my family will

never

> > truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much

> attention

> > and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older

> > that, since he is so big (he's only 4 taller than my 5 year old

and

> > weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad

> and

> > I won't be able to physically handle him like we can now,

> especially

> > during tantrums.

> > >

> > > I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel

at

> > or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might

be

> > for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by

my

> > family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop

his

> > aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is

> > neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep

> > thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.

> > >

> > > It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that

already

> > have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues,

> > etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future

> will

> > be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else,

I

> > go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet

sleep.

> > My children's father is a tremendous help, but both of us are

> > exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress

for

> > Donovan.

> > >

> > > I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these

> > stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults,

but

> > given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies

of

> > their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how

> children

> > who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their

> medicine,

> > and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and

> > they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage

> make

> > people think that " they need their medicine " when in fact their

> body

> > is going through withdrawal.

> > >

> > > I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with

> out

> > causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the

> other

> > kids cry and get scared>)

> > >

> > > I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some

advice

> > on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services

your

> > children get through the school district and if you get daily

> living

> > skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.

> > >

> > > Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

> > >

> > > a Calderon

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content

> Service,

> > using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more

> > information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://

> > www.mci.com.

> > >

> >____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > >

> >____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________

> ____________ _

> > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content

Service,

> using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more

> information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://

> www.mci. com.

> ____________ _

> ____________ _

> > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content

Service,

> www.mci. com.

> ____________ _

> >

>

Hi a,thanks for asking. My children are functioning very well

in so many things. They still have their autistic traits and

behaviors but they are taking steps towards getting out on their own

in the world. Driving,having a relationship,bith control and shopping

along with job searching have taken center stage. They are coming to

terms with their own realities and limits within their circumstances.

I have the try it attitude. They are very easily discouraged in their

limits self imposed or otherwise. I am mom on the sly giving them the

support and info they need to succeed and the buffer if they need

more time to achieve a goal. I feel its their choice to inform or not

inform others about their autism. There will always be areas in life

that we all could use a little help. We all have challenges of some

type. They have learned the basics needed to make it on their own. I

am so happy for them. It wasnt so many years ago that I was given

bleak outcomes. I never resigned my hope and patience and I

persisted. They have a spark that misfires. They have a unique way of

living without all the sentiment and clock confinement that describe

the general population. They are eternally immature. They

communicate,it just differant. They are a curious mixture of all

people and places from every walk of life. They support and defy

autism. They need their space and society. They have learned the

basic living skills. They still take things literally. They still

have social problems and strange behaviors. They kind of fit our life

into themselves a little at a time. I think they are more of the self

discovery types and I always need to look at each day as a new day.

Sometimes every moment. I can see what they gain and never know how

they think or feel about what I know they have missed. Its always a

learning experience for me. Hope you find all the patience and hidden

treasures. They will help you get through the many hard times we are

still sharing and learning about daily. There is so much to learn.

Its really hard to keep your composure when meltdown and reversals

take a toll on your heart and nerves. I am happy to share this part

of life and friendship through all the helping, understanding

families. Its such a comfort not to go it alone.

Best wishes,

Tishanne

- In AutismBehaviorProblems , a Calderon

wrote:

>

> Hi Tishanne,

>

> I'm curiouis to know how your children are functioning, especially

since they are much older than mine. Like I said before I often

wonder and worry about the future. I would als like to get more

information on vaccinating on an alternative schedule for my 4 month

and two year old. If you know where I should look, please tell me.

My two year old has only had one " thimersol-free " vaccine. But we go

from doctor to doctor because I cannot find anyone to support my

beliefs and be a partner to help my kids- just criticism and usually

" the American academy of pediatrics " says spiels with each new PCP

visit.

>

> a

>

> ________________________________

> From: AutismBehaviorProblems

[mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of

tishannepatterson

> Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:28 AM

> To: AutismBehaviorProblems

> Subject: Re: New to Group

>

>

> Hi a, Im happy you joined this group. 3 of my 8 children are

> autistic. A 20yr daughter,16yr son,10yr son. My 20yr lost her speech

> and quit eye contact around 1yr. She always had trouble with

> vaccinations. She had high fevers after and got very sick. Finally

> her pediatrician had to give her doses of human gamma globulin to

aid

> or counter act her immuno deficiancy following vaccinations. I quit

> the vaccination schedule,exempted- under advice of our Dr. My 16yr

> son had a similar experience with vaccinations and had high fevers

> with convulsions. I believe vaccinations played a significant part

in

> their autism. My 10yr son is a twin, was a preemie with a birth

> weight under 2lbs. I really relate to you and share your concerns

> about our children,their developement and our families relationships

> and interactions when our children are autistic. Thanks for sharing

> your lives. Sending you the warmth of understanding,

> Tishanne

> -- In

AutismBehaviorProblems <mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems%40yahoogrou\

ps.com>,

a Calderon

> <lcalderon@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4

> months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years

> (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he

> was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than mama

> and dada (with no meaning), but he didn't start to lose eye contact

> or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month

> vaccinations. I don't fully believe that these shots caused my son's

> autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since

> his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The

> most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things

> he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he

> wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with

> pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-verbal

> with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires.

> We tried ABA, PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn't

> respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason.

> When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is

> affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and

> likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving

> affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the

> sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to

> understand that he is hurting me. I tell him " no " and I think he

> understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently

> pulled my mom's hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he

> pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him

> because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the

> time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his

> eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he

> stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can

> almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he says

> " aaahhhhh " and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets

> " overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to

> crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of

> tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and " mess up "

> things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He

> used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in

> front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn't seem

> to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid

> the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all

> over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.

> >

> > I often think about his future and fear that my family will never

> truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much

attention

> and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older

> that, since he is so big (he's only 4 taller than my 5 year old and

> weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and

> I won't be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially

> during tantrums.

> >

> > I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at

> or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be

> for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my

> family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his

> aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is

> neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep

> thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.

> >

> > It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that already

> have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues,

> etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future

will

> be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I

> go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep.

> My children's father is a tremendous help, but both of us are

> exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for

> Donovan.

> >

> > I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these

> stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but

> given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of

> their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children

> who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their

medicine,

> and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and

> they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make

> people think that " they need their medicine " when in fact their body

> is going through withdrawal.

> >

> > I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out

> causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other

> kids cry and get scared>)

> >

> > I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice

> on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your

> children get through the school district and if you get daily living

> skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.

> >

> > Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

> >

> > a Calderon

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> __________________________________________________________

> > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service,

> www.mci.com.

> >

> >

>

>

> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service,

using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more

information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://

www.mci.com.

>

>

>

www.mci.com.

>

>

On vaccinations I would seek all the medical opinions and support you

can. Ask every clinic,Dr. ect. and keep asking. I would also be very

informed of all the information there is about safety issues without

vaccinations. Make lots of calls to clinics and Dr.s for medical

advice on vaccinations. Some Church social services may have info on

the non-vaccination stance. State your concerns and needs,keep

asking. Be safe and informed of all your options.

Best wishes,

Tishanne

-- In AutismBehaviorProblems , a Calderon

wrote:

>

> Hi Tishanne,

>

> I'm curiouis to know how your children are functioning, especially

since they are much older than mine. Like I said before I often

wonder and worry about the future. I would als like to get more

information on vaccinating on an alternative schedule for my 4 month

and two year old. If you know where I should look, please tell me.

My two year old has only had one " thimersol-free " vaccine. But we go

from doctor to doctor because I cannot find anyone to support my

beliefs and be a partner to help my kids- just criticism and usually

" the American academy of pediatrics " says spiels with each new PCP

visit.

>

> a

>

> ________________________________

> From: AutismBehaviorProblems

[mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of

tishannepatterson

> Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:28 AM

> To: AutismBehaviorProblems

> Subject: Re: New to Group

>

>

> Hi a, Im happy you joined this group. 3 of my 8 children are

> autistic. A 20yr daughter,16yr son,10yr son. My 20yr lost her speech

> and quit eye contact around 1yr. She always had trouble with

> vaccinations. She had high fevers after and got very sick. Finally

> her pediatrician had to give her doses of human gamma globulin to

aid

> or counter act her immuno deficiancy following vaccinations. I quit

> the vaccination schedule,exempted- under advice of our Dr. My 16yr

> son had a similar experience with vaccinations and had high fevers

> with convulsions. I believe vaccinations played a significant part

in

> their autism. My 10yr son is a twin, was a preemie with a birth

> weight under 2lbs. I really relate to you and share your concerns

> about our children,their developement and our families relationships

> and interactions when our children are autistic. Thanks for sharing

> your lives. Sending you the warmth of understanding,

> Tishanne

> -- In

AutismBehaviorProblems <mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems%40yahoogrou\

ps.com>,

a Calderon

> <lcalderon@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > My name is a, I am a 24 year old mother of 4 kids aged 4

> months (boy), 2 years (girl), 4 years (boy with ASD) and 5 years

> (girl). My 4 year old son Donovan was diagnosed with Autism when he

> was 25 months old. He never really spoke as a baby other than mama

> and dada (with no meaning), but he didn't start to lose eye contact

> or start stimming until after he had his 12 month and 18 month

> vaccinations. I don't fully believe that these shots caused my son's

> autism- but I know they played a role is poisoning his system. Since

> his diagnosis he has made much less progress than we had hoped. The

> most progress he has made is regaining eye contact, bringing things

> he wants opened to us, pushing a chair to climb and get something he

> wants and sometimes pushing buttons on a communicative device with

> pictures to say what he wants every now and then. He is non-verbal

> with no real functional communication for daily needs and desires.

> We tried ABA, PECS and signing for the first year and he wouldn't

> respond. He throws frequent tantrums, often for no apparent reason.

> When he gets upset he will sometimes hit at me. Donovan is

> affectionate though. He will come to me for hugs and kisses and

> likes to be tickled. But sometimes when giving or receiving

> affection, he will pinch me or grab and pull my hair all of the

> sudden- when he does this, he is still smiling and does not seem to

> understand that he is hurting me. I tell him " no " and I think he

> understands what no is, but he continues to do this. He has recently

> pulled my mom's hair and she was shocked- I never told her that he

> pulled my hair because my family is already weary to be around him

> because of the behaviors he exhibits. Donovan also stims all the

> time. He stims by flicking his spit with his finders in front of his

> eyes and especially in streams of indoor and outdoor light. When he

> stims he gets so excited that he stands on his toes and you can

> almost feel the excitement and energy building up in him and he says

> " aaahhhhh " and other vocalizations when stimming. He also gets

> " overstimulated when he stims and will go from being excited to

> crying really loudly. Donovan also likes to knock things off of

> tables, turn cups filled with liquid upside down, and " mess up "

> things by moving them back and forth real fast under his hands. He

> used to be totally infatuated with strings and would flick them in

> front of his face, now he only flicks them in light and doesn't seem

> to be obsessed with them anymore (which is great, he used to unbraid

> the hair on his older sisters dolls, tear it out and leave it all

> over the house and tear up the strings in carpet.

> >

> > I often think about his future and fear that my family will never

> truly be comfortable around him because he requires so much

attention

> and tends to destroy their houses. I fear that as he gets older

> that, since he is so big (he's only 4 taller than my 5 year old and

> weights 49 pounds from height and stature, not fat) that his dad and

> I won't be able to physically handle him like we can now, especially

> during tantrums.

> >

> > I often hear how autistic kids tend to have an area they excel at

> or have high interest in- I have yet to see what that area might be

> for Donovan. I hope and pray that he will grow to be accepted by my

> family and his peers, communicate with us in some way and stop his

> aggressive behaviors. I have also heard that stimming is

> neurodegenerative, so when he tries to stim all the time, I keep

> thinking that he is ruining his brain or something by doing it.

> >

> > It is difficult to say the least, raising four kids that already

> have health issues like sever eczema and asthma, sleeping issues,

> etc. then to worry about Donovan all the time and how his future

will

> be is enough to really stress me out. On top of everything else, I

> go to school full-time, work full-time and never seem to bet sleep.

> My children's father is a tremendous help, but both of us are

> exhausted and we often get discouraged at the lack of progress for

> Donovan.

> >

> > I do not want to medicate my son. I have read how often these

> stimulants and anti-depressants are medicines made for adults, but

> given to children in lower doses- with no real un-biased studies of

> their efficacy in children. I have also seen first hand how children

> who are on medicines as kids, grow up and stop taking their

medicine,

> and the chemical imbalance is a sort of shock to their system and

> they act out violently. And that these acts of violence or rage make

> people think that " they need their medicine " when in fact their body

> is going through withdrawal.

> >

> > I want to snap Donovan into our world naturally and soon, with out

> causing so much stress on his siblings. (His tantrums make the other

> kids cry and get scared>)

> >

> > I hope someone can relate to my situation and give me some advice

> on how to help my son. I would also like to know what services your

> children get through the school district and if you get daily living

> skills assistance also and if so, how did you get those services.

> >

> > Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

> >

> > a Calderon

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service,

> www.mci.com.

> >

> >

>

>

www.mci.com.

>

>

>

www.mci.com.

>

>

• 1 month later...

My son is 9 years old, was diagnosed at age three. He has moderate to

severe autism, limited verbal. I am reaching out to the group for

suggestions on his aggressive behavior biting, scratching, hitting,

etc.) that started about 1 year ago with ups and downs. He has been in

a SDC for children w/ autism since age 3. He has done 2 behavior mod.

programs, and currently in ABA. Not on any meds. I work and think

following a GFCF diet would be too hard.

Hi,welcome! I really feel for you and your son. We have gone through

the same kind of year. Were there any changes in your lives around

last year when his aggression began? You might find a clue looking

back. Recent changes at home,school,diet or meds may be a factor

also. I would chart his behaviors for a few days and find the biggest

culprits. Usually its to much stimulation,sensory type problems and

lack of typical communication. If his attention span has changed or

there are interuptions in his attention sometimes it becomes the

precursor of aggressive actions. My son is 10 and just went through a

similar year of building aggression. Pre puberty,puberty changes seem

to cause some kids to be more outwardly aggressive. Are you using

medications? With my son I had to literally take all his interactions

down to a 25 minute limit every 1-2 hrs. If I or anyone pushes beyond

that time frame or keep him engaged my son has meltdowns,aggression

more then calm times. It was easier for me to realize the causes by

keeping a behavior log,chart. I was able to isolate the activity and

relation to his behaviors and modify his/our routine. My son needs

lots of down time,low key time even with activities he enjoys. Re

organizing, time limits and scheduling his/our day has made a huge

differance in my son and the meltdowns,aggression have decreased so

much we can enjoy our time together. Its so hard when they

communicate their needs with aggressive reactions,I understand how

stressful this is. Some medications,diets have helped kids with their

tolerance levels so they can cope better instead of aggressively.

Best wishes to you and your son,

Tishanne

>

> My son is 9 years old, was diagnosed at age three. He has moderate

to

> severe autism, limited verbal. I am reaching out to the group for

> suggestions on his aggressive behavior biting, scratching, hitting,

> etc.) that started about 1 year ago with ups and downs. He has been

in

> a SDC for children w/ autism since age 3. He has done 2 behavior

mod.

> programs, and currently in ABA. Not on any meds. I work and think

> following a GFCF diet would be too hard.

>

Welcome to the group,

I highly recommend checking out the generationrescue.org site.

ABA is a key tool, recommend the book "Children w/Starving

Brains by Jaquelyn McCandless, M.D." starting a diet, go to a DAN Conference if you

can. Make an appointment w/a well known DAN Dr.

YODA

Subject: New to groupTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

My son is 9 years old, was diagnosed at age three. He has moderate to severe autism, limited verbal. I am reaching out to the group for suggestions on his aggressive behavior biting, scratching, hitting, etc.) that started about 1 year ago with ups and downs. He has been in a SDC for children w/ autism since age 3. He has done 2 behavior mod. programs, and currently in ABA. Not on any meds. I work and think following a GFCF diet would be too hard.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the group jenni i know you will like it. we have a great group of parents who are very caring and understanding.

My name is Lesley and my son is 6 yrs old with classic Autism. he has a lot of the same behaviors your son has. Again welcome to the group.

Lesley

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Wednesday, 7 January, 2009 7:32:02 PMSubject: new to group

I'm new to the group.My 8 year old son,Jonathon, has had behavioral and language problems since around 19 months old.He bangs his head,sef injures,hits, kicks,bites, and has many tantrums a day. I tried speaking to his pediatrician for years that I thought something was wrong with him.He sent him to a psychiatrist where he was treated for ADHD and Bi-polar for the last 5 years.Nothing worked.Recently a new psychiatrist did some testing with him.She stated he is autistic and has referred him to a developemental pediatrician. I question why it would take so long to figure this out and worry about the outcome for my son.He is in an EBD (emotionally and behaviorally disturbed) classroom at school.There are 7 kids to 1 teacher and 1 aid.He is not doing well academically but the switch to this classroom has helped his behaviors.He receives ST,OT, and PT.The doctors said his IQ is in the mentally retarded

range but her and I both agree thats not accurate (it's just impossable to get the testing completed by him).Words of advice and wisdom would be appreciated.Jenni

Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.

Hi, Jenni~ Welcome to the group. You will find what you need

hear...Mine is too young yet to offer any advice...but I just wanted to

chime and and say, " welcome glad you are here. "

e